G7 Update

A discussion with a friend today made me step back and reflect on this thread and the week that has passed since the email came out.

As I look back over my own very passionate posts, the positions I've taken, the jabs I've freely thrown, I have to wonder...

What have we accomplished here? What positive contributions have we made that would prompt anyone to pay attention?

Worse, what negative commentary have we presented that, again, reinforces the perception that DCP is a snakepit?

Have we really contributed in a positivie, constructive way to the discourse surrounding this issue?

As we stand around with our pitchforks, looking at each other, I have to ask...

What have we accomplished here that counts towards a positive solution that keeps the activity together, united, and strong?

We have about a week before what will be, likely, the most important Janual meeting in DCI's history, second only to the original one.

How that we all have our anger, disgust, resentment, resignation, and reactions aired like so much dirty laundry isn't it time we put our collective heads together to advance some positive solutions to keeping the activity from splintering?

I'm guilty, I admit it. But I'll help advance the positive side of our collective passion.

Will you?

I've been trying to promote patience. Patience with BOTH sides.

Slinging presumptions, shouting "Throw the bums out!" doesn't help much.

So, if DCP is being watched, by both sides (and I agree with you), what positive has come out of this thread?

If nothing we say is impactful, why are they watching?

Isn't there a chance, even a small one, that a positive discourse from this most-passionate fandom might introduce an idea, a thought, a potential solution viewpoint that might be taken as seriously as our bit***ng about curtains in the Oil Can?

Don't we have that desire? That responsibility?

To be relevent?

Not discounted?

Constructive?

Positive?

This thread =

Just substitue G7 for Jehovah and you've pretty much got it.

I get the comedy and the reference corpsband, and you've been pretty consistent with that idea. But...

throwing stones at those who are negative is not positive in itself.

We can do better.

We should.

So, if DCP is being watched, by both sides (and I agree with you), what positive has come out of this thread?

If nothing we say is impactful, why are they watching?

Isn't there a chance, even a small one, that a positive discourse from this most-passionate fandom might introduce an idea, a thought, a potential solution viewpoint that might be taken as seriously as our bit***ng about curtains in the Oil Can?

Don't we have that desire? That responsibility?

To be relevent?

Not discounted?

Constructive?

Positive?

If nothing else it's a reminder how passionate people are about the activity no matter which side each of us are on. And no matter what is done there is a good possiblity that people WILL be PO'ed. So to rip off the old construction term of "Measure twice, cut once" it's "think twice, then act".

What's positive?

The discussion.

The difference of opinion.

The explanations of opinion.

It's not always going to be sunshine and roses. Even though DCI tries to put up that front.

The discussion by fans has to happen somewhere. The opinions of fans have to be heard somewhere. And this is the place.

And if someone says they don't pay attention to this website, they take this place with a grain of salt... well..... they do pay attention. Some of their opinions of the site may differ.. but they do pay attention. Trust me.

*IS* there a way to make shows more profitable for corps? When a corps attends a TEP show , isn't DCI running a fundraiser for some local organization? Is that / should that be part of DCI's mission (to be a fundraiser for other organizations)? Would the corps be better off if they took home a bigger part of the net from each show?

Plenty of corps, G7 and not, already run their own shows, and I'm sure it makes for a good fundraiser. If TEP shows are unprofitable for the corps, then propose raising the fees on TEP sponsors. If corps-run shows are more profitable for corps, then corps can run their own shows, or even create cartels to run shows for a self-selected group of corps, or encourage DCI to take over the entire tour and share revenue based on some formula.

If this letter were proposing an overhaul of the fee system, or concrete rule change proposals, maybe there would be something for DCI to discuss and compromise on, but it's not a constructive proposal--it's an ultimatum: give us control of DCI or we might just leave.

What do *you* think DCI's board should do in response to this letter? Respond in the form of a sarcastic conversation with a straw man?

• Like 1

A discussion with a friend today made me step back and reflect on this thread and the week that has passed since the email came out.

As I look back over my own very passionate posts, the positions I've taken, the jabs I've freely thrown, I have to wonder...

What have we accomplished here? What positive contributions have we made that would prompt anyone to pay attention?

Worse, what negative commentary have we presented that, again, reinforces the perception that DCP is a snakepit?

Have we really contributed in a positivie, constructive way to the discourse surrounding this issue?

As we stand around with our pitchforks, looking at each other, I have to ask...

What have we accomplished here that counts towards a positive solution that keeps the activity together, united, and strong?

We have about a week before what will be, likely, the most important Janual meeting in DCI's history, second only to the original one.

Now that we all have our anger, disgust, resentment, resignation, and reactions aired like so much dirty laundry isn't it time we put our collective heads together to advance some positive solutions to keeping the activity from splintering?

I'm guilty, I admit it. But I'll help advance the positive side of our collective passion.

Will you?

IMO your 990 thread was a pretty positive contribution to the discussion. Better info on the financially realities of all the corps can only bring the principals closer to the same page. But ultimately DCP is just a bystander here. Either the two camps of directors can find a common ground or they can't.

At least from the public statements, DCI has been very measured in their responses. They've been willing to do things like TOC that the 7 wanted. They've avoided drawing any lines in the sand. It's probably more heated behind the scenes, but from the outside this looks like it preserves a way for some or all of the 7 to come in from the cold if an agreement could be reached.

But is there any zone of possible agreement between the two sides? Hop's letter doesn't seem to offer a lot of hope on that front.

I get the comedy and the reference corpsband, and you've been pretty consistent with that idea. But...

throwing stones at those who are negative is not positive in itself.

We can do better.

We should.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly.

Once the mob mentality takes over, there's no going back.

You can't reason with someone who isn't listening.