G7 Update

Plenty of corps, G7 and not, already run their own shows, and I'm sure it makes for a good fundraiser. If TEP shows are unprofitable for the corps, then propose raising the fees on TEP sponsors. If corps-run shows are more profitable for corps, then corps can run their own shows, or even create cartels to run shows for a self-selected group of corps, or encourage DCI to take over the entire tour and share revenue based on some formula.

If this letter were proposing an overhaul of the fee system, or concrete rule change proposals, maybe there would be something for DCI to discuss and compromise on, but it's not a constructive proposal--it's an ultimatum: give us control of DCI or we might just leave.

What do *you* think DCI's board should do in response to this letter? Respond in the form of a sarcastic conversation with a straw man?

Actually my response to the letter is way back in this thread:

Anyway ....

Why does finishing in the top 12 on the field qualify you for membership on the board?

Makes no sense at all if you think about it.

The judges get to decide the board membership? Sorry that's just plain stupid.

Not what you expected is it?

But most in this thread aren't interested in replying to the actual email. They've got everything figured out and it really didn't matter what the email actually said. It's been all torches and pitchforks here.

I think we have a right to be upset.

It is what looks like a greedy power grab by what is a lot of fans favorite corps.

They think they deserve more money and more say than the other corps.

I don't agree with that at all.

I don't agree with the way DCI is being ran right now either.

Change needs to happen.

The G7 solution is not the change I want to see happen. Especially since they dont even know what to do!

Instead of deciding whether or not to go do your own thing.. stay together and work together to figure this thing out.

OR EVEN BETTER

Find willing real business people to figure this thing out! There are some great ones in the activity, and I'm sure there are ones from outside the activity who might have some really good ideas.

Just do something!

But the whole G7 thing is just the wrong way to go about it. And it does say some about the character of some of the leaders of these corps. My tubas are bigger than yours....

• Like 2

A discussion with a friend today made me step back and reflect on this thread and the week that has passed since the email came out.

As I look back over my own very passionate posts, the positions I've taken, the jabs I've freely thrown, I have to wonder...

What have we accomplished here? What positive contributions have we made that would prompt anyone to pay attention?

Worse, what negative commentary have we presented that, again, reinforces the perception that DCP is a snakepit?

Have we really contributed in a positivie, constructive way to the discourse surrounding this issue?

As we stand around with our pitchforks, looking at each other, I have to ask...

What have we accomplished here that counts towards a positive solution that keeps the activity together, united, and strong?

We have about a week before what will be, likely, the most important Janual meeting in DCI's history, second only to the original one.

Now that we all have our anger, disgust, resentment, resignation, and reactions aired like so much dirty laundry isn't it time we put our collective heads together to advance some positive solutions to keeping the activity from splintering?

I'm guilty, I admit it. But I'll help advance the positive side of our collective passion.

Will you?

I think part of the problem of DCP being perceived as a "snakepit" is that DCI have offered fans no official way to voice their opinions. There's no forum on the DCI website. Fans don't have a voice in any of the governance of the activity. The only survey I ever got from them was about DVD's and other formats for owning finals recordings. Given I don't buy finals recordings--and they didn't ask me why--I wasn't much help.

Granted, I don't think a similar forum on DCI.org would be any better, but at least we would feel our opinions are of interest.

"What have we accomplished here that counts towards a positive solution that keeps the activity together, united, and strong?"

A "solution" implies a problem has been submitted for solving.

This thread is long. Do we even agree on what the problem is?

Can someone restate the problem in simple terms?

And have any of you seen the tragedies that is sports forums? The NASCAR forums?

This might be the only place on the internet where you can go and have a discussion with well thought out posts and topics. Yeah the other bs is there. But you can at least disagree with someone, and go back and forth without immediately being called a ### or ##### or ##### or you get the point....

edit:

the filter didn't filter a word I thought it would..... woops

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Actually my response to the letter is way back in this thread:

Not what you expected is it?

But most in this thread aren't interested in replying to the actual email. They've got everything figured out and it really didn't matter what the email actually said. It's been all torches and pitchforks here.

BTW, your epiphany that the judges would be choosing the BOD was, without doubt, the most profound idea that has emerged from this thread.

Really.

Profound.

Edited by garfield

BTW, your epiphany that the judges would be choosing the BOD was, without doubt, the most profound idea that has emerged from this thread.

Really.

Profound.

Agreed

I think we have a right to be upset.

It is what looks like a greedy power grab by what is a lot of fans favorite corps.

Here's a thought.

The 990's clearly show that some corps seem perfectly comfortable doing the same things, with the same money, no growth, no advancement in placement for years on end.

Could the email, and this whole G7 "thing", simply be an outward expression of exasperation on the part of the 7. A display of true, honest exasperation that some corps seem never to advance? Their shows, their balance sheets, their drain on resources?

Put yourself in Dave Gibbs or Hop's or Valenzuela's shoes for just a second. Wouldn't you be befuddled by the desire of so many directors that the activity advances but so little evidence that their corps "advance" (financially, performance, placement, etc)?

Wouldn't you become frustrated, too, especially when you've done things that actually advance your own organization?

Maybe the beginnings of being positive starts with standing in their shoes.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly.

Once the mob mentality takes over, there's no going back.

You can't reason with someone who isn't listening.

Ironic post of the thread

• Like 2