Season 19 Discussion

StarOrg

Welp, the Zephyrs have managed to pull back into first for the first time since early in the season. I haven't seen the corps as on fire as they were last night since finals night, the year they came from behind to win the title. We were also able to install our last little bit of changes this past week, setting a song even more familiar as the counter-melody to "Where the Streets..." Debuting it two nights ago, last night got a standing ovation from the crowd when the mellos launched into "Amazing Grace."

"blue cathedral" does an excellent job of setting the stage for what is to come in pre-show, and as transitional material between each of the other movements. This show has come together almost exactly as expected; here's hoping we hold strong.

Edited by ftwdrummer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With 25 mile a hour winds blowing all day made for interesting guard tosses.

It was a bit nippy as they would say here by the time we got the cup presentations.

Congratulations to the Southern Star "Cup" winners last night!

The top 4 in World classification were separated by a mere .185

WORLD

Gold - Polaris Regiment (92.480)

Silver - Quicksilver (92.395)

Bronze - River City Regiment (92.375)

OPEN

Gold - Texas Zephyrs (88.665)

Silver - Star of Hawaii (88.465)

Bronze - Oregon Marauders (87.850)

CLASS A

Gold - Xothyme (85.380)

Silver - Cross (84.950)

Bronze - Hg (84.305)

So, for the newbie here...can someone explain how this last week is going to go? What are the cutoffs to move on to the next show during finals?

I'm more competitive in World with River City Regiment this season than I ever was with Inferno. We were 3rd in Orlando and .11 away from 1st! River City Rhapsody has dipped a bit after a late percussion re-write that I think will pay off in Columbia. Let's see how this last week goes!

So, for the newbie here...can someone explain how this last week is going to go? What are the cutoffs to move on to the next show during finals?

For World class we usually follow what DCI does- Top 21, cut down to top 17, then down to top 12 for finals. For Open class and Class A, it depends on the numbers.

Since the numbers are lower this season, ALL corps in all divisions will automatically advance to semifinals, regardless of score. For World and Open class, the top 12 corps will then move on to their respective finals while the top 8 open class corps will move on to finals.

Monday's events- the last of the regular season- will take place at American Legion Stadium in Charlotte, NC and Dorman HS in Spartanburg SC. I'll also have the updated sweepstakes scores posted sometime tomorrow around noonish, which will update the standings through the Louisville/Orlando events.

CharlotteNCMemorialStadium20000_zps1fdc225c.jpg

SpartanburgSCDormanHS11000_zps2129f7bc.jpg

Prelims day is here! World Class events will take place at Williams Brice Stadium, Open Class Events will take place at Dawson Stadium in Orangeburg SC and Class A events will take place at Benedict College's stadium back in Columbia.

ColumbiaSCWilliamsBriceStadium70000_zps4f30d269.jpg

OrangeburgSCDawsonStadium20000_zps401b834d.jpg

ColumbiaSCBenedictCollegeStadium10000_zps6551c34e.jpg

Due to my schedule today I regretfully won't be able to publish "live scoring updates" for today's events.

Prelims scores are up! In World Class, competitors are pairing up in tight-scoring groups, with Star of Jupiter in the catbird seat with a very narrow lead over Polaris Regiment. In Open Class, Texas Zephyrs and Star of Hawaii led the way, both breaking 90. In Class A, Cross opened up a "sizeable" 0.45 point lead over Chicago Sound, but there's plenty of time for the competition to make up ground.

All corps in all divisions will advance to semifinals, with the top 12 World and Open Class corps and the top 8 Class A corps advancing to Saturday's finals. Directors will now be able to make 2 caption changes per day in between each round. All caption selection changes must be entered by 4 PM CST to count for the next round.

Welp, Zephyrs seem to have their work cut out for them. When was the last time first place in prelims won?

Excellent performance tonight, though. I can't say enough about how this group has come together over the course of the season...it's a little bit different show from our norm (this is our first foray into rock; the closest we came prior was "Route 66" back in our inaugural season), but our success with it is already suggesting an interesting direction to go musically/show-wise this summer.

And at least this year's show has a theme that works with the uniforms, rather than the year we did "Death by Black Hole" with a primarily white uniform.

Welp, Zephyrs seem to have their work cut out for them. When was the last time first place in prelims won?

Oh boy. Winning Prelims is usually not a good sign. I don't remember if we removed that jinx. We got a ways to go and anything can happen. Nastalgia Vanguard went from 6th at Semis to 1st at Finals last season.

Zephyrs looked good last night, really solid show.