Changes Made Only For Finals..

1997 Madison...the looooooooooooooooooooooooooong chord with the pirate flag and the DM taking pictures was, as I heard the story, originally a practical joke on the staff by the corps on the last rehearsal run on Finals day....the staff liked it, kept it, and a legend was born!

• Like 3

That happened in Montreal in 1982. The crowd was so stoked that they screamed loud enough the horns on each side couldn't hear the horns on the other side. There was also a circumstance regarding the drum major count-off that has been mentioned on DCP a couple times. On the recording, the sides finished about an entire count apart.

Didn't SCV add it for finals too in 79?

The Phantom Regiment streamers at the end of 1812 was in 1984. It's easy for me to remember since I have only been to the DCI Finals 3 times (1980, 1984 and 2000). Also in 1984 Suncoast Sound released balloons through-out the audience at the end of "Aquarius" piece.That kind of took the edge off Phantom's streamers a little later in the evening. SVC was playing the bottle dance most if not all their season in 1978. I saw them in in Indianapolis on July 3rd, 1978 and the bottle dance was in the show then.

Scott Smith

Edited by doctortelco

1997 Madison...the looooooooooooooooooooooooooong chord with the pirate flag and the DM taking pictures was, as I heard the story, originally a practical joke on the staff by the corps on the last rehearsal run on Finals day....the staff liked it, kept it, and a legend was born!

those pictures have been posted on DCP before... I'm sure someone has them

The football game was supposed to be a lot more pronounced during the corps' warm-up. I knew about it ahead of time because I was at their rehearsal. The horns were playing the University of Alabama fight song (the World Championships was held in Birmingham) for the warm-up and that would have really riled up the local audience.

With the exception of any Auburn fans in attendance. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1