Big Announcement from DCI coming Friday

Stop that, it's so, so sacrilegious! shutup.gif

I own several 2v G bugles (see Avatar of my King Mello). I love them, and you are using words that hurt! sumo.gif

Did you install incandescent, fluorescent or LED bulbs?

Look at the hundreds of corps back in the 50's and 60s that taught their players (kids w/ no musical background in many , if not most cases) on G bugles.

Back then you didn't have to know how to play before you joined. Oh - and how do I know? Because I have played both G bugles and B-flat band instruments.

Well, I've both played and taught both G and Bb/F.

I loved my experience in two of the best brass programs in the history of the activity (both on 2-valve G, by the way). But to say learning/playing on G bugles is easier than Bb is absolutely ludicrous. it simply is not. At all. In any conceivable way.

ok, not bad ideas, BUT how does WGI feel about this drumline thing?

Since it isn't going after the same market and is set up to encourage ensembles quite different from those one sees at WGI, I would imagine (as someone who writes for both organizations) that it won't faze them one way or another.

Kind of like how DCI felt when WGI was created as a answer for guards what DCI was for drum corps. (Do many newer fans remember that DCI's first few seasons included a color guard championship at the summer World Championships?)

I think the DrumLine Battle and SoundSport events are interesting ideas. As I see it, the goal is to lower the barrier for musicians to participate in these events. Putting a corps on the field is a huge and expensive proposition. It takes a huge commitment from the members in terms of time and finances. Of course it is a fantastic activity to watch and life changing for those that can participate. Still, the barriers to participation are large.

These events smaller events will encourage small groups to get together and try to do something fun and creative. I think we could be surprised at how much interesting and creative stuff could come out of these groups. I'm glad that DCI is trying this out and if one happens near me I'll go check it out.

• Like 1

I'm excited and encouraged to see all the positive responses to a new DCI idea, especially since this is something we haven't seen done before on such a scale.

Look at the hundreds of corps back in the 50's and 60s that taught their players (kids w/ no musical background in many , if not most cases) on G bugles.

Back then you didn't have to know how to play before you joined. Oh - and how do I know? Because I have played both G bugles and B-flat band instruments.

No idea how the key helped in that unless I misunderstood. As a trombone player who knew no fingerings when he joined, having one piston and maybe (no sure about 50s horns) 1 rotor made learning the fingerings easier cuz there were less of them. Using 3 valves today I'm still writing in any 3rd valve fingerings just to make sure I don't screw up.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Stop that, it's so, so sacrilegious! shutup.gif

I own several 2v G bugles (see Avatar of my King Mello). I love them, and you are using words that hurt! sumo.gif

Where's hornsup when we need him..... :devil:

Any serious brass player knows the key has nothing to do with playing (intonation and otherwise), one way or the other. There are TONS of other key instruments out there that brass players learn and they all have different sweet spots as it were. If anything G horns help breathing (they take more air) and pitch centering on ANY brass instrument. G horns have the capability to play louder, you simply can't get over the bore, overtones and extra tubing on Bb (those are facts not rose colored glasses as brass laymen will try and pull over on you). They are also harder to control at the volume extremes, but I digress. Quality of the instrument is one thing but there is not ONE instrument made that you don't have to compensate no matter what. FYI, for brass or music laymen, you can't play perfectly in tune by yourself and be in tune in a triad with the rest of the group. You are ALWAYS adjusting pitch, that's just the way it is.

1. to say that hundreds of corps back in the 50's and 60's sounded great playing G is in correct. I've heard TONS of recordings from that era, and there was a lot of crass, not-so-good playing, especially compared to modern brass lines.

2. just because lots of corps played them doesn't mean G bugles were easier to play than Bb/F brass

3. I know people who won Championships on G bugles from the 70's (actually, I know a few from 75 Scouts), and I've heard SEVERAL of those guys talk about how difficult it was to play well on those old bugles.

I'm going to just say an uncomfortable truth: that is because brass lines of today are FAR more talented than back then, and it is a lot more competitive to make a brass line in 2013 that it was in the 50's and 60's. Heck, I marched in the late 90's, and the talent level in 2013 is light years higher than the talent level when I marched!

Take off the rose colored tour goggles: drum corps are doing some pretty amazing things right now - even without G bugles

• Like 1