Transcribing 70s/80s Solos

I'm currently trying to transcribe these drum solos from the 70's.

If anyone wants to help, or has an useful info about them, it'd be appreciated. thumbup.gif/> If anyone wants a copy of a solo once I'm done, eventually, just send me a PM or just reply here. I'm transcribing Snare, Toms, and Bass, and Cymbals for sure. I'm only transcribing Timpani for a few, and Mallets for even fewer.

Anaheim Kingsmen:

1971 Yellow Submarine snare and tymp done

1972 George of the Jungle all (snare, trio, tymp, cymbal) but bass done

1974 Exorcist / Tubular Bells xylophone, bells, and tymp done

Bayonne Bridgemen

1983 Black Market Juggler - arranged by Dennis DeLucia

Bluecoats

1987 Autumn Leaves (instructor?)

Blue Devils

1975 Billy the Kid - arranged by Rick O'Dello

1982 Paradox - arranged by Tom Float

1987 Echidna's Arf (of you) - arranged by Tom Float

Freelancers

1976 ELP's Tocatta - arranged by Don Silva

Garfield Cadets

1975 Afro Blue - arranged by Billy Gaeckle. bells done

North Star

1978 Approaching Storm - arranged by Dave Vose snare and cymbal done

1980 COOKOUT - written by Dave Vose

Oakland Crusaders

1976 Joropo Piropo - arranged by Terry Kirkpatrick / Tom Float

Phantom Regiment

1978 Flight of the Bumblebee - arranged by Marty Hurley?

Santa Clara Vanguard - Fred Sanford, Ralph Hardimon

1972 Tic-Toc / The Clock tymp, snare, and cymbal are done.

1974 Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

1978 / 1979 Lezghinka all parts (snare, bass, cym, mallets, tymp) but tenors are done.

1980 Stone Ground Seven - all parts (snare, bass, cym, mallets, tymp) but tenors are done.

Obviously, I'm a Fred Sanford fan. And luckily, I think there's more of his 70s solos than other writers.

Edited by GlockosaurusRex

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently trying to transcribe these drum solos from the 70's.

Obviously, I'm a Fred Sanford fan. And luckily, I think there's more of his 70s solos than other writers.

Well, you picked one of the greatest of all time, for sure!!!! :thumbup:

You might want to check out Dennis DeLucia's stuff with the Hawthorne Muchachos and Bayonne Bridgemen from the 70's-80's too. There is more Bridgemen stuff available than Muchachos, given their timespans. 1982's "Black Market Juggler" is one of the great percussion solos of any era.

Well, you picked one of the greatest of all time, for sure!!!! thumbup.gif

You might want to check out Dennis DeLucia's stuff with the Hawthorne Muchachos and Bayonne Bridgemen from the 70's-80's too. There is more Bridgemen stuff available than Muchachos, given their timespans. 1982's "Black Market Juggler" is one of the great percussion solos of any era.

How could I forget Black Market Juggler? :worthy:/>

Damm! Thought you were going to ask about soprano solos. Well, at the 4:50 mark you can listen to Boston's 69 Unsquare Dance version.

One of the great percussion shows of its day...what a shame the VFW made them take away the bells at champs. Ruined one of my favorite shows of 1969. :rock:

I also liked Boston's Pop Goes the Weasel. :tongue:/>/>

Yeah, that was very cute! The entire BAC show in 69 was awesome. From that year though, if you can, give a listen to the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights. That show is one of my all-time favorite shows ever, and their long drum solo is still one I can remember and (sort of) play...a great backsticking feature near the end.

Hello Glockosaurus Rex.

You have picked some great selections for your study. As for Garfield '75, that was Coltrane's "Afro Blue", arranged by Billy Gaeckle (former USMC D&B). I can put you in contact with him if you PM me.

It was Jeff Namian who played the keyboard lead in that production. You may recognize that name from his outstanding subsequent career as a WGI instructor and color guard guru.

SCV's "Stoneground 7" is usually credited to the late, great Fred Sanford of course, but was primarily the work of Ralph Hardimon, I believe, though they were collaborating, naturally. Interestingly, Fred wrote the brass parts which were later deleted. That full version can still be heard on the 1980 "State of the Art" mid-season CD.