Transcribing 70s/80s Solos

Hello Glockosaurus Rex.

You have picked some great selections for your study. As for Garfield '75, that was Coltrane's "Afro Blue", arranged by Billy Gaeckle (former USMC D&B). I can put you in contact with him if you PM me.

It was Jeff Namian who played the keyboard lead in that production. You may recognize that name from his outstanding subsequent career as a WGI instructor and color guard guru.

SCV's "Stoneground 7" is usually credited to the late, great Fred Sanford of course, but was primarily the work of Ralph Hardimon, I believe, though they were collaborating, naturally. Interestingly, Fred wrote the brass parts which were later deleted. That full version can still be heard on the 1980 "State of the Art" mid-season CD.

Afro Blue? I knew the tune sounded familiar.

The brass parts to Stone Ground Seven were pretty cool. But I felt like that they kinda distracted from the drum feature-ness of it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently trying to transcribe these drum solos from the 70's.

If anyone wants to help, or has an useful info about them, it'd be appreciated. thumbup.gif/> If anyone wants a copy of a solo once I'm done (Eventually. But I have school, band, and piano lessons. I'm only 14.), just send me a PM or just reply here. I'm transcribing Snare, Toms, and Bass, and Cymbals for sure. I'm only transcribing Timpani for a few, and Mallets for even fewer.

Anaheim Kingsmen:

1971 Yellow Submarine

1972 George of the Jungle

74 Tubular Bells should be here.

Blue Devils

1975 (name? instructor?) I beleive Rick O'Dello wrote it and it was based on an Aaron Copland theme, Billy the Kid I think

1978 (name? instructor?)

1982 Paradox - arranged by Tom Float

1987 Echidna's Arf (of you) - arranged by Tom Float

Oakland Crusaders

1976 (Name? instructor?)Original 75 version written by Terry Kirkpatrick, with I think some input from Brain Frazackerly, 76 version definitely had some aditional material included by Tom Float - who was the instructor in 76. It's based on a Chuck Mangione theme from (I always get this wrong) Miropo Jiropo, on the Friends & Love album)

Santa Clara Vanguard - Fred Sanford, Ralph Hardimon

1972 Tic-Toc check out 75, longer, better ending, I think more commonly known as The Clock, but I think it had another name, Tryptic maybe

1974 Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

1975 Birds of Fire

1978 Lezghinka

1980 Stone Ground Seven

1981 YPG

Obviously, I'm a Fred Sanford fan. And luckily, I think there's more of his 70s solos than other writers.

Thanks for the help.

You're right about 1974 Tubular Bells. Pretty awesome tympani part.

Tympani part, the snares rock in that.

Oh, the 78 Devs solo is a reworking of the 76/77 Channel One Suite solo. At the front end they filled in some of the rests, squared it up a bit. And, the other Devs instructor was Ron Menke (sp), not sure if he did any of the writng.

Regards,

John

Afro Blue? I knew the tune sounded familiar.

The brass parts to Stone Ground Seven were pretty cool. But I felt like that they kinda distracted from the drum feature-ness of it.

You may be interested in this, Fred and Ralph's inspiration and the reason for the brass melody:

Some of the more progressive corps used horns in drum solos the way electronics are used now.

You may be interested in this, Fred and Ralph's inspiration and the reason for the brass melody:

Some of the more progressive corps used horns in drum solos the way electronics are used now.

If you listen to the piano at the beginning, you can hear the tympani part. I think the tambourine part is similar to the pattern they played on ride cymbals for a section.

1978 Phantom Regiment solo had some brass in it.

Edited by GlockosaurusRex

SCV's "Stoneground 7" is usually credited to the late, great Fred Sanford of course, but was primarily the work of Ralph Hardimon, I believe, though they were collaborating, naturally. Interestingly, Fred wrote the brass parts which were later deleted. That full version can still be heard on the 1980 "State of the Art" mid-season CD.

I did a percussion feature of a William Walton piece for the King's Regiment (the Wayne Monarchs after a merger) in 1977. I wrote a brass quintet into the piece, and I got a lot of grief from some of the older drum judges in the Garden State Circuit that summer. Some did not even count it as a percussion feature because it had some brass! The other percussion feature, DeBussy's "Golliwog's Cakewalk", was better received.

There's a lot going on there and I can clearly hear the inspiration you speak of and how it transferred to the piece you had here on DCP some time ago in that "State of the Art" feature with the combo of BD and SCV I believe.

That's also one very articulate piano player.

BTW, not to hijack the thread but since we have a few of the top folks musically in the activity here, I came across this and found it interesting.

Are these mellophones Kenton had on staff?

Edited by gsksun4

BTW, not to hijack the thread but since we have a few of the top folks musically in the activity here, I came across this and found it interesting.

Are these mellophones Kenton had on staff?

Close... they are Mellophoniums in the band :)