People who influenced you

Who are some people in drum corps who personally influenced you or made a large impact on your life?

In no particular order: Scott Stewart, Chris Harmon, Van Mathews, Chad Duggan, Scott Boerma, Bill Zeier, Jeff Moore, Taras Nahirniak, Kurt Jull, Ron Comfort, Justin Kaynes, Danny Class, Jeff Peterson, Dann Peterson, Greg Guffey, the list could go on for hours.

Robert W. Smith, Don Taylor, Mike Roylance, Jim Woodrum, John Campese, Rich Culp

:thumbup::thumbup:

sebastienne st. jacque. :worthy:

• Like 1

Who are some people in drum corps who personally influenced you or made a large impact on your life?

I"ll have to go with Wayne Poulson, a friend of my brother. We lived across the street from each other and one day he asked me if I wanted to come down in march in the Raiders of 88. I did. 1967. I was 12. Made a huge impact on my life. The guy who got me to join.

Edited by Bucbari

If not a person, Blue Devils 2007 inspired me to continue to play music and the corps I marched this year inspired me to perform and be a musician.

Having had the chance of interviewing just about everyone and becoming friends over the years with so many, I've been blessed to be allowed to know so many and to hang with people whom I consider to be heroes.

Number 1 for me is Bill Cook (Star of Indiana), who gave me many great opportunities outside of drum corps. I was also quite fond of Jerry Seawright (BD), Jim Jones (Troopers), Gail Royer (SCV), George Bonfiglio (27th Lancers) and the founder of my corps, Don Warren (Cavaliers), who is the only one on that list that is still with us. I was also very fond of Fred J. Miller, whom I first met in 1980 when I ended up staying in the same small motel on Cape Cod for the WGI World Championship. (Singular because there was only one class back then.) I'm proud to have gotten to know people like Mark Arnold (Blue Knights), Greg Orwoll (Colts), Marc Sylvester (drill writer), Dennis DeLucia (activity analyst god), Michael Cesario (personal awesomeness coach) and Jeff Fiedler, with whom I marched and developed my creative writing skills in his parents' basement while putting together Cavaliers yearbooks. I'll never forget DeLucia embracing me at the DCI Annual Meeting and letting me cry when I started talking about how both my parents were at the end of their lives at the same time, wondering what would happen with my brother. That's the neat thing about the people we get to know in drum corps...they're always there for us. I always look forward to talking with George Hopkins (Cadets) and David Gibbs (BD), even when I don't agree with all their ideas...and I'll always remember how meaningful it was and how I wept—to realize I wasn't alone—when I found flowers from both at my mother's wake. So many in drum corps ask me how my deaf, blind and mute brother is doing whenever I run into them, and that means the world to me. And then there's Dan Acheson, who has allowed me to continue to be a part of this activity and has encouraged my development as a contributor to DCI, and my editor, Chris Weber, who never fails to make me sound intelligent when I give him gobbledygook.

I'm influenced in a way by every corps member I interview and every corps fan I meet, because through them I realize why I still do what I do, and why I need to continue doing it. The sacrifices the members, their parents and the volunteers make to keep drum corps alive never fail to affect me in a positive way, and I'm blessed that I get to do what I love and that it keeps me in touch with those who through their time and efforts give me memories that I can never hope to repay.

This is really great activity, but it's only great because the people who comprise it from the bottom all the way to the top are top-notch.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1