My Open Letter to the "G7" and the activity as a whole

While on the topic...

/// Public Service Announcement ///

Lines of credit are designed to buffer cashflow timing, not to serve as a vehicle to borrow against.

When you find yourself in a position where you might open a line of credit, what do you do kids?

STOP, DROP & ROLL.

STOP making new spending commitments.

DROP your current rate of spending.

ROLL up your sleeves and look for both ways to cut costs, improve efficiences and develop new sources of revenue.

What don't you do, boys and girls?

Pretend this money is anything other than a temporary safety tool.

Remember to always be safe with safety tools, boys and girls, as these are very powerful things. If used correctly they can help, possibly even save you. If used incorrectly, they can put you in even more danger than before.

Since they already compete in a different division, what are you saying?

I think he meant, different than they are now. As in, there was a real proposal last Spring to merge Open Class and World Class, but it was voted down.

There's also the G7 proposal of just cutting Open Class loose, which has different implications.

*snip*

Or - it's a reasonable alternative - there actually is consensus among the seven?

HH

I'm thinking this.

Their silence acknowledges that they are complicit.

If they didn't want to be linked they would be screaming about it.

No one is saying they aren't willing to go along. They are calculating that if this ultimatum goes down in flames, they will not be much worse off, if any. But if it succeeds, they'll be much better off.

Shame that Hopkins is the only person everyone makes out as being the middle of it even though there are technically 7 directors behind it. G7 hides behind Hopkins as a firewall and everyone just blames and targets him if they disagree with the G7. (Just look at the OP) but in some ways you have to think he brought it upon himself? The only reason there's a G is because of George... Poor naming honestly!

I honestly believe that the hatred (or negativity) for that man is so strong that if all the events of the past two years happened but replace the name GH with someone (anyone) else people would not be as up in arms... The negativity is really unfounded.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Did you read the entire 2010 PowerPoint presentation? You may have to revise your statement.

I did and it talks about removing Open Class not the corps themselves. I don't think there was a provision saying BDB could no long function as a drum corps but maybe overlooked? Have not read recently... you?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

While on the topic...

/// Public Service Announcement ///

Lines of credit are designed to buffer cashflow timing, not to serve as a vehicle to borrow against.

When you find yourself in a position where you might open a line of credit, what do you do kids?

STOP, DROP & ROLL.

STOP making new spending commitments.

DROP your current rate of spending.

ROLL up your sleeves and look for both ways to cut costs, improve efficiences and develop new sources of revenue.

What don't you do, boys and girls?

Pretend this money is anything other than a temporary safety tool.

Remember to always be safe with safety tools, boys and girls, as these are very powerful things. If used correctly they can help, possibly even save you. If used incorrectly, they can put you in even more danger than before.

There's a caller who frequents the local Saturday morning AM radio "Open Line" talk show and he frequently uses the moniker "Boys and Girls" when making his fat-tail-of-the-bell-curve comments.

He's conceited, contentious, pretensious, condescending and the frequent target of complaints not about what he says but how he says it.

I haven't been referred to as a boy (or a girl) in about 40 years and I (and, apparently, many others) tune out his comments based solely on his insulting presentation, not their validity.

I suspect you want your comments to be taken seriously, if you care at all, yes?

BTW, I agree with your PSA, obviously, because it's factual.

Edited by garfield

Soccerguy said: what if Gmen and Teal had some more money that last year got funneled to the G7?

Garfield can answer whether that would have been enough to save them. Ask him.

All right, I'll jump in but you'll think I'm piling on.

Most certainly it's reasonable to suggest that the top corps have "funneled" DCI payouts to their own benefit. After all, they wrote the rules and were in charge of the payout structure for years. (This does not address whether they were entitled to or worth the extra revenue.) One could characterize it as "taking money from" the lower placing corps. Others might characterize it as paying them what they're worth. Considering that each corps' costs to get to each show is roughly the same, this non-level payout scheme could be viewed as tilted in favor of the corps that have spent the most years in the "top" placement positions and, not-coincidentally, those in the positions of power to write the rules.

In addition, I would contend that the "top" corps' ability to spend on their shows puts an undue competitive demand on corps that have less revenue to spend on their show production, especially when those same leaders influence the judging sheets to reward the kind of spending demonstrated by the "top" corps in the name of "artistic accomplishment".

Without necessarily passing judgement on the efficacy of the payout schedule, it does seem that it's stacked against the smaller corps with smaller budgets who struggle to put as many avante-gard "toys" into their shows as the "top" corps do to win.

Whether the "diverted" revenue would have been enough to save Teal or Glassmen, we'll never know will we?, because the payout schedule is a very closely guarded secret.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

Like...Open Class?

No. The division itself is probably redundant and doesn't get much attention. I think it would better suited to be a part of a new weekend only circuit under DCI. You either have full blown All Summer Long corps or weekend only. The in between doesn't have the potential to serve as many youth. But absolutely making sure we don't lose the corps already in Open Class. It's about opening a wider circuit with more corps and more kids involved. Not saying this is what the G7 wanted but it never really got discussed just instantly ridiculed like you just did.