People who have influenced you?

i've had a few instructors who have really influenced me over the years dan delong,rich hammond, chris feist, eric kitchenman all great instructors that have had an impact on my ears marching..and of course my family..without that i would have never known about drum corps and marched around the house when i was young listening to old corps records. then being able to march with my dad and brother was the best experience ever

I should say Roger E. that Bill Sr. wrote our drill in 1971 and came down several times to teach and work with us....if I recall, we had pretty good marching scores back then. I worked with Bill Jr (Patriots) and he was a great guy too.

3 people, in no particular order:

Tommy Martin...taught me what the word "Humility" means.

Mike Longdo....for just believing in me.

And of course, James J Costello...just...because!

Honorable mentions go to the Lead Soprano line of the Sunrisers in 1982, Ritchie Price, and EVERY Caballeros soloist that came before me!

Hi Donny. Your list and mine have many names in common - that speaks volumes for these gentlemen, especially coming from you (not me):))

lol

That's cause we're all members of the Steve Cooley fan club...

• Like 2

God knows I'm not a drummer and was never a Skyliner, although I loved them and loved to compete against them. Just saw the passing of Eric Perriloux. Eric had to inspire more young drummers and by extension musicians and fans than almost anyone in History. Another giant passed on. Rest in Peace.

• Like 3

Marty Hurley http://www.dci.org/n...a2-e2f59f500804

One more big influencer: Marty Hurley! Many years ago, Marty visited our corps as a guest instructor. He attended one practice back in the winter of 1973. At the time I was a horn player. I visited the drum practice because it was quite an event to have an out-of-towner such as Mr. Hurley come and work with our line. I was intrigued when Mr. Hurley said that all you needed to get started in drumming was a Remo practice pad and a pair of sticks. After watching him play and work with our line, I went to our local music store the next day and bought that Remo pad and a pair of Ludwig "3S" sticks. From that day forward, I practiced with a passion and became a pretty darned good drummer.

To this day, I can still pick 'em up and throw 'em down pretty good. I owe that to the man who introduced drumming to me. Although Mr. Hurley has since passed, his legacy will live long and prosper!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

In the order they came into my Life in Drum Corps:

Jimmy Hurley (Many Corps)

Father Nativo (St. Lucy's)

Jimmy Russo (St. Lucy's)

Butch Anderson (NYC Skyliners)

Vic Kulinski (Heat Wave)

Ray Priester (NY Sky Alumni)

Took this from the DCI page...

Who are some people in drum corps who personally influenced you or made a large impact on your life?

Far too many to give adequate respect but perhaps the five most influential would be:

Vincent A. Bruni

Vinnie Ratford

Fred Gebhart

Al "Corky" Fabrizio

Don Angelica

• Like 1