Adirondack Drums Ends

Sadly another long running show in the East is disappearing forever.

http://poststar.com/news/local/final-beat-after-more-than-years-area-says-goodbye-to/article_59780ce0-6124-11e2-811c-001a4bcf887a.html

Edited by BariBrian

This is so sad! I had the duel honor of not only competing in this show but as a Lions Club member, "working it. This event not only provided the area with a great show,it generated a huge amount of charitable funds over the years. Lions Clubs International is the worlds largest service club and is involved in countless community projects,with it's primary focus on sight.

I hope the Ft.Edward Lions Club can find another method of bringing in funds to support the wonderful things they do! And of course, I hope that somehow the drum corps community can find another outlet to get their "fix". Like many communities, this area has a long and rich drum corps history. Brian, I am sure you could do a better job of coming up with the number of corps that this area has produced. Double digits for sure.

Brian, I am sure you could do a better job of coming up with the number of corps that this area has produced. Double digits for sure.

Hey Jerry! I updated my junior corps census last summer, and I couldn't believe how many more corps I found in NY state....corps that I had never even heard of before!

The state boasted over 110 juniors each year in the early '70s.

Hey Jerry! I updated my junior corps census last summer, and I couldn't believe how many more corps I found in NY state....corps that I had never even heard of before!

The state boasted over 110 juniors each year in the early '70s.

Wow! I don't doubt it. My first year was 1973 and I believe in a 50 mile radius of Troy,NY, there were 10 active Jr. corps operating. I think! Memories, they fade so fast!!!

This is Sad News for certain. The Lions Club and the community they served can not afford to lose this show, and yet can not afford to continue to put it on. To Many Shows from our area have gone, and Far Too Many Corps Jerry

This is Sad News for certain. The Lions Club and the community they served can not afford to lose this show, and yet can not afford to continue to put it on. To Many Shows from our area have gone, and Far Too Many Corps Jerry

I understand the reasons to get away from a DCI show, low return on a big investment (time and engergy-wise), too much demand on the aging club membership. I've expressed this opinion before to the PTB. But why does it HAVE to be a DCI show. For myself I would love to see the show continue with a different segment of the artform. One that would reduce costs and demand.

Edited by ereese

Thats a great idea in theory, but as I'm sure you are aware there isn't so much as a hint of competetive corps left in the area. Not even within a hundred mile radious. On the other hand, they might have success with a Local Band Compitition. That would keep costs down, but I'm not sure how much of a draw it would be

Thats a great idea in theory, but as I'm sure you are aware there isn't so much as a hint of competetive corps left in the area. Not even within a hundred mile radious. On the other hand, they might have success with a Local Band Compitition. That would keep costs down, but I'm not sure how much of a draw it would be

Alumni? or a combo of Alumni, Brass Bands, etc? Something to keep the artform alive and in front of the folks.

Alumni? or a combo of Alumni, Brass Bands, etc? Something to keep the artform alive and in front of the folks.

Gotta agree with Eddie on the Alumni route ... the Barnum has done a masterful job at integrating Alumni Corps, local HS Bands and DCA corps into a comprehensive night of drum corps entertainment ... Bayonne has had success also with the combined format at their show ... scope it out at least ... I could easily envision a show with some of the major Alumni corps participating ... give it some thought ...

:-)