More SoundSport and DrumLine Battle details released

DCI posted a FAQ about SoundSport and mostly DrumLine Battle. Key bits:

* SoundSport performance area will have to be flexible, but will typically be 50'x70'.

* There will be youth and all-age divisions at least.

* Live DrumLine Battles will be two rounds of 90-120 second performances. Internet-based DrumLine Battles will be one round only.

* DLB will be judged by a three-judge panel, with an emphasis on entertaining the audience and not technical skills.

Also, they announced the four DLB teams that will be doing the demo competitions in "early Spring": The Denver Broncos Stampede, Madah Bahana University of Indonesia, Center Grove High School, and Jersey Surf.

Edited by skywhopper

Okay, so no "adults vs. kids" argument - that's cool. (As an adult putting together an all-age drumline, I'm a bit relieved, actually.) And creating a library of 2-minute pieces to work on isn't that difficult.

The more I hear, the more I like - it's definitely going to be easy-entry, which I think is the point.

Mike

• Like 2

* SoundSport performance area will have to be flexible, but will typically be 50'x70'.

In the original flyer it said 30'x30', which plugging into Pyware makes from some cramped space when you get above 10 people, with the 50 upper limit this looks like the size of a guard floor, so it can be used in the winter circuit, grow the activity in the winter, latch on to the winter circuits where there is already a space and time to preform in.

• Like 2

Okay, so no "adults vs. kids" argument - that's cool. (As an adult putting together an all-age drumline, I'm a bit relieved, actually.) And creating a library of 2-minute pieces to work on isn't that difficult.

The more I hear, the more I like - it's definitely going to be easy-entry, which I think is the point.

Mike

I'm with ya: VERY excited so far!!

with the 50 upper limit this looks like the size of a guard floor, so it can be used in the winter circuit, grow the activity in the winter, latch on to the winter circuits where there is already a space and time to preform in.

I think this was absolutely necessary to make SoundSport viable in the US. The next step is to court the *local/regional* indoor circuits to get them on board with SoundSport. If that happens, I can see SS really taking off in a big way.

I also think the four test-run groups for DrumBattle were well-selected, emphasizing four very different levels of what this can be. DCI really seems to be pretty forward-thinking on this/

My only concern at this point is the judging panels. If they are current DCI judge-types only (the majority of which are music educators), I think we're going to have some problems. By all means, have these folks, but the panels *must* include people with entertainment and production backgrounds. Cirque/Blue Man Group/Broadway and live show performers, Disney Parks musicians, military band members, etc.

* Live DrumLine Battles will be two rounds of 90-120 second performances. Internet-based DrumLine Battles will be one round only.

* DLB will be judged by a three-judge panel, with an emphasis on entertaining the audience and not technical skills.

Also, they announced the four DLB teams that will be doing the demo competitions in "early Spring": The Denver Broncos Stampede, Madah Bahana University of Indonesia, Center Grove High School, and Jersey Surf.

Awesome! I really dig the variety of groups participating in the demo competition:

* a semi-profession (or maybe professional?) group with the Stampede

* a University group from Indonesia

* if it's the HS I'm thinking of, a pretty high quality percussion group

* a WC DCI drum line known for entertaining the crowd

Will be very curious to see how this shakes out; I really like that DCI is encouraging "all walks of life" with this drum line battle, and I hope other similar groups (older college age, HS, DCI, etc) jump in!

Who moderates the live DrumLine Battle events?

The Battle Master will oversee the live events and will serve as master of ceremonies and announcer.

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a9e80645-1269-4535-ba9e-5313cf1f7d2b#ixzz2IqUflEeN

hahahahahaha

I LOVE how they are playing this up. Love it! I really hope that the Battle Master (lol) is something like the Iron Chef Japanese announcer who really hams it up for entertainment value

• Like 1