DCI DVD sales survey

I don't buy DVD or CDs of anything anymore, since there aren't really that many songs, films or books I want to own in physical media if I have the option of owning it digitally and/or streaming it.

Streaming and Cloud media storage isn't the future - for a lot of us, it's already the way things are.

Edited by mobrien

I, too, got the survey and was impressed with the attempt, though not with the data analysis leading to the survey, as I bought both the 2011 and 2012 Blu-rays, nor with the questions themselves, as they were very unclear, IMO.

Interestingly, if you did admit that you didn't get the 2012 DVDs, they asked if it was because of the licensing-related cuts. Now that I think about it, choosing that option would have been the best way to game the survey. But in the end I went with honest answers, ie, I did buy the 2012 Blu-ray (mainly because I had already committed via the Fan Network--the cuts in content weren't announced till months later). And so I wasn't asked about the licensing-related cuts. I would have answered that such cuts make me less likely to buy the product in the future, but oh well.

The pay-per-view questions made it clear they are considering a finals pay-per-view, but they are afraid it'll cut into finals attendance. However, there were no options for "there's no way I can attend finals even if I wanted to, so you're losing out on my money altogether unless you provide a live stream".

It also asked how much you'd pay and the options ranged from "less than 40%" up to 200% of the cost of the "best ticket" to the real-life finals. I don't even know what the best ticket costs. $125? $250 is a bit steep for a live stream of finals. I'm sure people would pay it, but that's probably not the revenue-maximizing price.

Edited by skywhopper

skywhopper,

As you know, no one learns anything by avoiding the hard questions, beating around the bush, etc. I didn't get the survey because I didn't purchase DCI products last year. I also do not plan to do DCI Indy in person, but would consider a pay-per-view evening. To me, such a one-time broadcast would be worth about $50. But, that's $50 DCI was not going to get from me anyway. As far as I'm concerned, DCI should acknowledge folks would like to cut back. Well, allow them to cut back by NOT spending money on hotel rooms, travel expenses, restaurant meals, etc. Yet, still purchase a DCI product.

I ticked I'd pay 50% of the top ticket price to watch a live stream of finals but I'd probably pay more.

I would rather spend the money to attend the event because you cannot beat live. Live audiences save the activity, keep the kids pushing, and make the music magical.

So would I but not so easy this side of the pond.

So would I but not so easy this side of the pond.

Does Fan Network play on live streams without freezing in Europe? (Not a knock on technology there since I recognize broadband may be faster and more deeply adapted there than in the US--just a question about the distances involved.) The only thing that would be worse than no one being able to get a show is having it available, paying for it, and then having it not work.

Edited by Peel Paint

Does Fan Network play on live streams without freezing in Europe? (Not a knock on technology there since I recognize broadband may be faster and more deeply adapted there than in the US--just a question about the distances involved.) The only thing that would be worse than no one being able to get a show is having it available, paying for it, and then having it not work.

Yes, I watch the live streams in HD (when available).

I honestly don't remember anything going wrong with any stream I was watching other than when something had gone wrong at the stadium... usually weather but sometimes technical issues.

While I watch I like to read the show thread here on DCP and I know a few folk a lot closer than me have freezing/dropping off issues.

actucker, you are correct. After 12 years attending the Indy 500 with the same seats, I decided not to renew. I got the same kind of inquiry from IMS. My reasoning is simple. It's the economy. I realize many of you live in other regions of the country, so I can only offer the perspective of an eastern Pennsylvanian, but, it's time to prioritize spending. Signs of inflation are rampant here. Just about every bill I pay monthly has increased 8-10%. Increases in food prices are off the chart, etc. It's not so much if I can still afford the usual items, I most definitely can. It's a matter of what makes most economic sense in effort to maintain current abilities, despite the national economy.

The way I typically did the race, I'd spend $2000 over 4 days. Granted, those are an enjoyable 4 days, but what makes more sense? Four days of bliss, or payment for 365 days of the following . . . local newspaper, cell phone, ESPN Gameplan, vehicle registrations, DirecTV upgrades, etc?

I believe this is a challenge both DCI and DCA will face again through the coming year. I am a firm believer BOTH organizations need to squeeze as much income from pay-per-view as possible right now. There are many interested fans out here, but I'm afraid many will begin to cut back spending on usual pleasures. I will not be surprised if purchases of DVDs, and such, decline for now.

Honestly, it's been horrible the last 4 years ( and counting) and I am surprised that they have taken this long to do this.... It looks to only get worse as we go through further waves of financial crisises.