Visual Correction on Tour

For those of us who weren't granted with perfect 20/20, how annoying is having to deal with visual correction on tour? Which do you prefer, contacts or glasses? Contacts can be great but often get dry during the day and can be a hassle to put on and take off everyday. Glasses can be more comfortable but might get in the way of things, and especially with a pair of sunglasses over them, can get quite clunky. Which do you think is better overall while on tour, or at least which sucks the least?

I wore glasses the whole time in 2003. It's very scary when everything fogs up and you can't see anything.

In 2005 I wore contacts. Aside from the annoyances of losing a contact on the bus in the middle of the night, it's way better than almost dying in the drill every time you get steamy in a uniform.

Contacts all the way.

• Like 1

Never wore contacts but ran into the problem of doing an exhibition (couldn't judge) in the rain with strong winds (so much for wearing caps). Couldn't see without the glasses and could barely see thru the drops of rain on the lens. Just a nightmare whole way around....

Easy: Contacts. I wore them for all 5 of my marching seasons. You develop a system over time, and with today's contact lens trends you could buy several pairs at a time to take on tour and have spares any time you needed one. I had a bag for just my eye care stuff. It was easy. I had been wearing contacts since 8th grade, so I was already used to the daily care. (And that was back when you had to use this crazy fizzy enzyme based cleaner stuff every few days and had much more paraphernalia to drag around with you. It's a million times easier in today's vision correction market.)

In the scope of things, it's just like any other daily routine issue. Develop a simple and effective system and go with it!

I was lucky, my glasses are for long distance vision, had one rehearsal with 'um on and said screw it... no contacts, vision was good enough to make out what was going on the podium, so I stopped using them except for on the bus and non rehearsal situations.

BTW... they make prescription sun glasses, get them, they shalt be the greatest thing ever.

Edited by Max Plays Music

I wear glasses for driving and for seeing chalkboards and such. Never used them on the field. Of course, many people have worse vision than I and had to deal with contacts or glasses.

Not sure what I would do today, with slightly worse vision than when I marched.

I wore glasses in Surf, Crossmen and my first year at Cadets. The glasses didn't really bother me in Crossmen because we wore those aussies, but they did bother me in Surf and Cadets since we wore shakos. I switched to contacts in my second year at Cadets. WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE. No fogginess, no sliding-off-my-face, and I felt more confident since my peripheral vision wasn't restricted.