OK; spill the beans

They've had them taken down. So far I'm not seeing alot of unison in World class this year. I know that programming a show with 32 individaul shows that interact seamlessly is extremely difficult to program effectively, and I absolutely loved Onyx last year (World and Open). I just don't want to see everyone doing this now because that's what's winning.

I can't wait to see Pride because they never follow a trend and program very intuitively - which I love!

Later,

Mike

As usual, I agree with everything you said. Last year's Onyx had some unison moments within the individual work, that's why I liked it.

The ensemble judge scores the design of the program......not necessarily unison ensemble statements.

• Like 1

The ensemble judge scores the design of the program......not necessarily unison ensemble statements.

Exactly- Ensemble refers to the overall product and it's success in being cohesive and well thought out...an "ensemble" moment doesn't mean a higher ensemble score.

Later,

Mike

Now that there's some shows added to the fan network, and anyone lucky enough to see in person, thoughts?

For me, SCV is always hard to look at early season, and this year's no different. The show doesn't really "speak" to me like last year's (and not just b/c last year literally spoke ;), and I'm sure it's just too far away to see a lot of work like 2010. I dunno, they had more drops than I'm used to so I saw them as overscored. Otherwise they'll probably clean and add and put out all the stops by Dayton.

Imbue looks good again, and once they clean they'll be in the thick of it. I didn't like Ars Nova, as this show is behind the times IMO by using a song from Batman that we've heard many times before. I don't want to take anything away from the members, as they're talented I'm sure. It just looks predictable and the movement seems "and 1 and 2 and 3 and..."

I'll look at more in other classes, but those are my initial ramblings. Logan and Norwin both have pretty good shows. Logan's show is kind of 2002-04 with some hip hop mixed in.

Saw POC and Zydeco this past weekend.Pride strong out of the gate as usual. Zydeco very entertaining show. Thought Zydeco had first show jitters. Many drops but a show that could be making a run to medal by finals. Should be another great year.

Whats Zydeco's show about!?

I was surprised and very happy for them when I saw how they scored this past weekend. They were only 3 points away from Pride and scoring within a point of SCV. Good job Zydeco!

Well houses and furniture seem to be popular again this year (Vanguard, Imbue, Mayflower...) and not sure why Imbue is using a poem in Russian - it's hard to get into the emotion of the show when you don't understand the intent of the poem.

Also -strange show choice by Diamente. I absolutely loved their skull cap ritual show last year - it was different and out there and crazy and memorable. Their Eric Clapton show this year seems so out of place and "safe"

Later,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Onyx scored an...87.5?! I don't care who you are, no one should be that high at this point in the season. I'm guessing this might score in the 99.something.

From what I saw on youtube, the show looks pretty good. I feel like they are a dance company, that has occasional moments of color guard,because those people can dance

Edited by thedova