OK; spill the beans

From what I saw on youtube, the show looks pretty good. I feel like they are a dance company, that has occasional moments of color guard,because those people can dance

No, no, you're right. I posted that before I saw the show, which is good even though there are zero ensemble/unison moments. Surprisingly, I like it better than Pride's and Zydeco's shows (the latter is gonna take some getting used to, I don't even know what I just watched). Still don't think any show needs to be that high, but WGI is sending the message loud and clear.

BTW, anyone know what the music for Onyx' show is? That's the main reason I like it.

Love Carmel this year! I don't see this not winning, and I've predicted the right outcome for SW for 4 years in a row.

Also, while I admittedly (unfortunately) usually ignore most of IO or SO, UCF Pegasus, Cypress Bay and Stoneman were probably the funnest shows to watch via FN. Check them out if you can.

Edited by c.l.

So I was able to watch some shows on the Fan Network (I love this feature!!!!)

Some thoughts:

Blessed Sac is alot better than the video I saw earlier this year - I really appreciate what they are doing - very complex and beautiful soundtrack - strange ending though -and shouldn't their floor be white???

Black Watch - very cool - and the rifles at the start were great!!!! Love the ending. Sometimes too conventional though - you know???? (Kind of funny if they go on back to back with Braddock at WGI!)

Alot of macabre / death shows this year

All of the O guards (Onyx, O2 and O3) are simply fabulous - wow - the depth of talent and training in those 3 groups is amazing

Pride - I don't know - not sure - again music choices this year aren't doing it for me

Still have a ton I need to watch!!!!

Later,

Mike

So I was able to watch some shows on the Fan Network (I love this feature!!!!)

Pride - I don't know - not sure - again music choices this year aren't doing it for me

OMG...SO True!!!!! Musical selections are pretty bad across the board this year.

Watch Carmel and Lawrence Central, you won't regret it!

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay
  • Like 1

OMG...SO True!!!!! Musical selections are pretty bad across the board this year.

Watch Carmel and Lawrence Central, you won't regret it!

You are so right, and I feel like I'm being such a %&^*$ pessimist when I read over what I write about some guards and have to go back and edit. Groups that I usually love the music for (Flanagan, Braddock, and Pride are just a few examples) I'm finding I have a hard time getting into their shows just b/c the music! I am going to quit while I'm ahead though because these groups do have something to offer, I just hate it for them that either the music is cliched or just leaves something to be desired altogether with communicating their ideas.

• Like 1

I've seen Carmel, Onyx, and SCV online and Carmel is my favorite so far. I'm not a fan of the RnR (ripples and running) type of shows that Onyx does so needless to say I couldn't get into their show. SCV looks like they will be great again but the show I saw had so many drops. Not like SCV at all.

• Like 1

Black Watch - very cool - and the rifles at the start were great!!!! Love the ending. Sometimes too conventional though - you know???? (Kind of funny if they go on back to back with Braddock at WGI!)

That's what I love about Black Watch, and probably why they were the fan favorites at the regional...it's just straight, pure color guard. You don't have to sit there afterwards, scratching your head, saying "what was that about?" It's accessible to the fans, it's fun, and it's exciting.

• Like 1

That's what I love about Black Watch, and probably why they were the fan favorites at the regional...it's just straight, pure color guard. You don't have to sit there afterwards, scratching your head, saying "what was that about?" It's accessible to the fans, it's fun, and it's exciting.

I agree 100% Just great color guard!

Saw POC and Zydeco this past weekend.Pride strong out of the gate as usual. Zydeco very entertaining show. Thought Zydeco had first show jitters. Many drops but a show that could be making a run to medal by finals. Should be another great year.

I know it's a little early for this but I see the medal winners being (in no particular order):

Onyx

Pride

Blessed Sac

Irving

Fan of the Arts