Govenaires

In 1927, the original incarnation of the Govenaires Drum and Bugle corps formed in St. Peter, Minnesota. About 1,800 miles away during that same time, a small district outside of Los Angeles was just beginning its golden era.

Many ventured out west for a different kind of fortune. In Hollywood, you didn’t just become famous. You became immortal. But making it to silver screen fame isn’t without its pitfalls...

This summer, the Govenaires will perform their 2013 production: Chasing Hollywood

The production begins with the "Prologue" from Cy Coleman’s City of Angels, a fast-paced number that sends you through the rat-race of trying to "make it". Once you see your name on the marquee and witness everyone clamoring for your attention, it’s hard not to live it "Sparkling Diamonds" from the movie musical Moulin Rouge celebrates the rewards of fame.

But the Hollywood high-life can get ugly fast. Musical moments from the classic film Sunset Boulevard show how nasty a tinsel-town downfall can get. Fame takes its toll, and can lead to loneliness and disappointment. The show transitions into one of the most gorgeous ballads that a drum corps can play: "Send in the Clowns" by Stephen Sondheim.

The final act in a Govenaires show, however, always ends big and loud. The corps closes with "Don’t Rain on my Parade" from the musical Funny Girl.

This summer, the Govenaires will bring plenty of drama. Just remember to bring popcorn.

If you’re interested in becoming a Govenaire, there are openings in every section. The next rehearsal dates are Feb. 16 and 17 at St. Peter High School. Saturday rehearsal runs 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday rehearsal goes from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

www.Goveanires.org

• Like 4

There's gonna be a lot of "City of Angels on the field this year

• Like 1

The Govenaires is America's oldest COMPETING drum and bugle corps.

From wiki:

"In 1927, a local meat market owner by the name of Ruben Siebert founded the St. Peter Legion Corps. The corps was composed mainly of World War I veterans who were members of the William R. Witty American Legion Post 37 in St. Peter."

Good luck to a great 2013 season!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

The Govenaires is America's oldest drum and bugle corps.

From wiki:

"In 1927, a local meat market owner by the name of Ruben Siebert founded the St. Peter Legion Corps. The corps was composed mainly of World War I veterans who were members of the William R. Witty American Legion Post 37 in St. Peter."

Good luck to a great 2013 season!

*sigh* I'm a Govies fan and always make sure I see them at DCA (both days) but....

Oldest competing corps or maybe oldest continually active corps as haven't seen anywhere that they were ever inactive.

US Navy and Hanover have older roots but were inactive at times and neither still compete.

Just saying cuz I don't what the corps to be corrected in an embarrassing way later or have John do his intro in a way that isn't quite correct. Think he did change "the oldest" to "oldest competing" a while back but didn't pay attention this year.

Back to OP - can't wait to hear John introduce this one. :worthy:/>

Edited by JimF-LowBari

*sigh* I'm a Govies fan and always make sure I see them at DCA (both days) but....

Oldest competing corps or maybe oldest continually active corps as haven't seen anywhere that they were ever inactive.

US Navy and Hanover have older roots but were inactive at times and neither still compete.

Just saying cuz I don't what the corps to be corrected in an embarrassing way later or have John do his intro in a way that isn't quite correct. Think he did change "the oldest" to "oldest competing" a while back but didn't pay attention this year.

Back to OP - can't wait to hear John introduce this one. :worthy:/>/>

Duly noted and changed! Thanks!!!

• Like 2