Memorable Moments

What are some of your more memorable moments from your drum corps experience that did not occur on the field? (Non-performance memories)

Hugging Garfield mello Nadia Younes -- both of us in full uniform -- as we got off our busses on finals night (we'd met at the rained out Pt. Huron show after BD and Garfield were both housed at the same school. Ahhhh...if only I hadn't lost her phone number all those years ago)...the looks of death I got from the '83 BD vets was something.

---------------

Same day...near the end of brass warmups. Wayne starts taking us through a volume progression...same chord, but louder each time.

The sequence: ppp, pp, p, mp, m, mf, f, FF, FFF, blastissimo...MOLTO BLASTISSIMO! 747! EARTHQUAKE!!

Wayne looks over his shoulder and sees Garfield's battery warming up on some tennis courts within earshot....then turns back to us and releases the hounds!

NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST!!!

Suffice to say, I have NEVER played a note that loud with that little distortion at ANY other time in my life. Garfield's battery looked at us with an "oh ####" look. A GREAT way to hype before heading over for the performance of my life!

• Like 2

I remember a time when were getting fitted for uniforms and one of my buddies came strolling out in nothing but his aussie. Quite the site! :ohmy::blush:

• Like 1

At Cadets2 this past summer, I was in charge of field lining. I remember that the 1st time we started lining, we accidentally screwed up the percussion field that our corps director came running over to us, yelled my name as loud as he could, and tore me a new one during hornline rehearsal. I ran as fast as I could over to him and he then said, "Did I scare you? Don't worry. I just wanted everyone to think I was yelling at you." But man, by the end of the season, we were putting down 3 fields in less than an hour... How fast did any of you guys do it while on tour?

• Like 1

My very last night in drum corps was in Minneapolis after the 1977 VFW Nationals Finals. We were staying in the same gym as Racine Kilties, who were not in Finals. Corps founder and President Don Warren had several large pizzas brought in for us, and he had extras brought in and taken over to the kids from RS. I was chatting with him that night and he told me that there was no way he was going to allow any kids in drum corps watch his corps enjoy pizza when they had nothing. That taught me something about the camaraderie of drum corps that I never forgot.

• Like 1

I remember that one time where we didn't eat....

Oh wait, that was the whole summer!

:tongue:

• Like 1