Have DCI Standings Actually Stagnated?

Ok, I say where you were going with that, and yes that makes sense. But at the same time with all the now inactive corps and today's existing World Class corps, there have not been enough seasons for all of the corps that have participated to win a championship either.

massive placement jumps in the past were also due to the fact that sometimes you could have been in 21st place, and the following year 6 corps ahead of you were no longer in existence. In the thread about salary caps, I put up the prelims placements from 1974 and 1977....look how many names were gone. Now, it's pretty much the same 20 corps every year...sadly we have lost some over the years.

Mike, FWIW, when DCI created the WC/OC split, they (DCI) reserved the right to remove any WC corps that wasn't putting on a "World Class" product - in effect protecting themselves against show sponsors that might feel they're not getting what they paid for. Clearly they've never used the "stick," but it's always been there.

Mike

true. but it's also because they set up the financial system so moving a corps to Open class could kill them financially.

Would Pio do better competitively in OC? Probably. But given how the OC pay set up is run,it would bankrupt them.

When DCI created the split? That split was created in 1975, when DCI instituted the class A contest at their championship - in other words, back when the top division was the "open class", where anyone could voluntarily enter and compete against the top dogs.

True, there is always the possibility of DCI creating policy to remove corps from WC based on placement or whatever. But no such policy is currently on the books, as far as I know.

and the split was based on size not ability

If they're not interspersed, then people would just skip their performances, the same way they skip most of the opening hour of Finals night now. DCI needs to take efforts to show the corps at that level that they consider them as important, and this would be a little thing that cost nothing but increased the value of the experience to the kids in those corps.

Who knows, some of the Finals night audience might discover a second league corps or two they really liked, and buy a t-shirt on the way out.

DCI however is the World Class corps. So getting them to promote somethingthat could in turn take away from them isn't going to happen, especially since a segment of WC directors have a future vision that doesn't include OC corps

massive placement jumps in the past were also due to the fact that sometimes you could have been in 21st place, and the following year 6 corps ahead of you were no longer in existence. In the thread about salary caps, I put up the prelims placements from 1974 and 1977....look how many names were gone. Now, it's pretty much the same 20 corps every year...sadly we have lost some over the years.

Or, like 27th Lancers (20th in 74) you could be a whole lot better (4th in 75).

An additional year of experience could lead to great increases in execution.

DCI however is the World Class corps. So getting them to promote somethingthat could in turn take away from them isn't going to happen ...

I don't really think Gibbs/Hopkins/Coates would be that threatened by otherwise 19th/20th/21st place corps being seen on Finals night, especially if they saw that it helped increase the overall gate at Finals.

The financial structure of a premier league being compensated at a greater level than national/second league would still stand, simply because the costs of putting together a top flight corps/team are naturally greater. Again, the English soccer leagues are the model. A truly major league would attract most of the marketing attention and would the most attractive to potential corporate sponsors, but if they're aggressive enough about marketing the product, there'll be more money that can be used to help seed and support more regional clubs/teams/corps that operate with a different set of goals, competitively.

Edited by mobrien

Mike, FWIW, when DCI created the WC/OC split, they (DCI) reserved the right to remove any WC corps that wasn't putting on a "World Class" product - in effect protecting themselves against show sponsors that might feel they're not getting what they paid for. Clearly they've never used the "stick," but it's always been there.

Mike

I didn't know that.

However, if half a dozen or more corps were all of a sudden moved to some class other than the same one as the top corps, I wonder how those corps would feel. I wonder if that might be a sticking point in trying to create such a 3-tiered system.

I don't really think Gibbs/Hopkins/Coates would be that threatened by otherwise 19th/20th/21st place corps being seen on Finals night, especially if they saw that it helped increase the overall gate at Finals.

The financial structure of a premier league being compensated at a greater level than national/second league would still stand, simply because the costs of putting together a top flight corps/team are naturally greater. Again, the English soccer leagues are the model. A truly major league would attract most of the marketing attention and would the most attractive to potential corporate sponsors, but if they're aggressive enough about marketing the product, there'll be more money that can be used to help seed and support more regional clubs/teams/corps that operate with a different set of goals, competitively.

sure they would. more corps on finals night means the pot gets divvied up between more corps...so less for them. Given that they are all about the money, no, they won't agree to share more of the pie. they'd rather see fewer corps.

And, sadly, the lower ranking corps aren't going to add too much to attendance. we've seen it. too many people are out in the lot early on

Where've you been? I was expecting you thirty posts ago, at least. I suppose the CI explanation for the stability now vs. the volatility in the 1970s is the equivalanet of "bodies at rest tend to stay at rest"?