33rd anniversary - Lake Placid Opening Ceremonies

Pardon me while I gloat a little.

I was fortunate to be on the drum staff of the 27th Lancers when the corps performed at the opening and closing ceremonies in Lake Placid - today is the 33rd anniversary of the opening ceremonies. Although time has passed - it doesn't seem like 33 years.

We had backstage passes - we could wander about and mingle with athletes from around the world throughout the village. VHS was in its infancy so very few video recordings exist of our adventure. Needless to say, I have more than my share of mementos.

It was a magical time for us, and for all fans of drum corps everywhere. There was also a hockey team that secured their place in Olympic history - and made Al Michaels famous !!!!

It was a magical time for us, and for all fans of drum corps everywhere. There was also a hockey team that secured their place in Olympic history - and made Al Michaels famous !!!!

" Do you believe in Miracles ? " ( Game announcer Al Michaels famous words as the game clock seconds ticked down. )

Michael Eruzione does. (US Team Captain who score the winning USA 3rd period goal over the heavily favored powerful Russian Hockey team and coincidentally who lived not that far from where 27th used to practice. )

What a thrill it must have been for the 27th Lancers to participate in that 1980 Winter Olympics, and rub shoulders all week with the world's best athletes. ( Cadets later did the same too )

Edited by BRASSO