THE HAWTHORNE MUCHACHOS: WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Heck, I'm still trying to figure out where the Scouts "fell apart" at Finals that night... as a guy on one of the FB groups has insisted. :tongue:/>

Rips in the fabric of time affect some people differently than they do others.

I've long wondered what people associated with Madison Scouts thought when Jeff Kievet (or so I was told it was him) played the bull fight call from the stands just as Scouts were ready to start their performance in Finals. Does anyone have a handle on that?

During the TV broadcast, I heard a soprano being played from the stands, but at the time, had no idea by whom and what corps was on the field. I also remember Crusader friends yelling up to our apartment window when leaving and finding their car antennas bent or snapped off!

Edited by Ghost

Rips in the fabric of time affect some people differently than they do others.

I think it was that one noticeable brass tick in their "Slaughter" opener that night.

Clearly disastrous for them. :ph34r:

26: "Tommy" didn't hide behind adults. He was surrounded by fellow Cavaliers as Muchachos came off the field at World Open Finals. This was a year the show was not at the Manning Bowl, but at the stadium in Everett.

I can not tell if your recollection of the rest of the events is accurate or not, but you are wrong when you state that the World Open in 1975 was held " at a stadium in Everett ( Ma)". It was held at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, Ma. The World Open has never been held " at a stadium in Everett ( Ma. ).

Results were as follows :

8/ 8/ 1975 ( Prelims)

1) SCV

2) 27th Lancers

3) Blue Devils

4) Hawthorne Muchachos

5) Kilties / Cavaliers ( tied )

6) Phantom Regiment

8/ 9 / 1975 ( World Open Finals, Lynn, Ma)

1) Blue Devils

2) SCV

3) 27th Lancers

4) Hawthorne Muchachos

5) Kilties

6) Cavaliers

7) Phantom Regiment

Edited by BRASSO

I can not tell if your recollection of the rest of the events is accurate or not, but you are wrong when you state that the World Open in 1975 was held " at a stadium in Everett ( Ma)". It was held at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, Ma. The World Open has never been held " at a stadium in Everett ( Ma. ).

Results were as follows :

8/ 8/ 1975 ( Prelims)

1) SCV

2) 27th Lancers

3) Blue Devils

4) Hawthorne Muchachos

5) Kilties / Cavaliers ( tied )

6) Phantom Regiment

8/ 9 / 1975 ( World Open Finals, Lynn, Ma)

1) Blue Devils

2) SCV

3) 27th Lancers

4) Hawthorne Muchachos

5) Kilties

6) Cavaliers

7) Phantom Regiment

Actually, I do remember a year in the mid-1970s when the World Open was not at the Manning Bowl, and I am all but certain that it was 1975.

I marched in a local-circuit junior corps that year... and Prelims, at the very least, was most definitely not at the Manning Bowl. (I've also competed at the Manning Bowl, so I know what that stadium looked like. It wasn't pretty. LOL) I believe the Everett location for the "non-Manning Open" is correct.

That is to say: SCV discovered the overage members just before Prelims, wasn't it? .

Its very unclear when and how Royer ( SCV ) found out... and if it was internally found out, or if he got wind that others from outside his organization knew and were about to go to DCI, and he got wind of this that way and then he took the initiative to boot the others out in a self policing act. We really only know the SCV version of it. Did these overage marchers march Prelims in 1989 and between Prelims and Finals, somehow Royer found out ? Did Royer find it out himself just going thru passports between Prelims and Finals ? Its an odd time to be checking on members qualifications with all going on that week with his Corps, no ? Or did somebody tip him off that he had 2 overage members... and how did these folks find out just hours before Finals ? I think it interesting that "Tommy" in 1975 that was cut from the Muchachos and then was taken in by the Cavaliers knew from the first show in that summer that Muchachos had overage marchers, but waited until his Cavaliers Corps was fighting for a Finals spot during Championship week to rat out the Muchachos. Sure, the Muchachos had overage marchers, but so didn't half the corps ( or more ) that were competing for the top 12 in 1975 have overage marchers ( as Dennis Delucia said ). The Muchachos were wrong and they went down in flames for what they did, but they could have taken SEVERAL well known Corps down with them if they wanted too because they knew other Corps had overage members as well in 1975. LOTS of Corps marched overage members in the 60's and 70's. Many of us know both their names even today as well as their Corps as a matter of fact.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Actually, I do remember a year in the mid-1970s when the World Open was not at the Manning Bowl, and I am all but certain that it was 1975.

I marched in a local-circuit junior corps that year... and Prelims, at the very least, was most definitely not at the Manning Bowl. (I've also competed at the Manning Bowl, so I know what that stadium looked like. It wasn't pretty. LOL) I believe the Everett location for the "non-Manning Open" is correct.

No, its not " correct ". In 1975, the World Open was held in Lynn Ma at the Manning Bowl. The World Open has never been held in Everett Ma. ( although Everett Stadium has been the venue for both local Eastern Ma circuit shows, CYO, DCI and DCA shows many times in the 60's, 70's. ) In 1975, DCI East Championships were at Cawley Stadium in Lowell Ma and the CYO Nationals were at Boston College Stadium right outside Boston. ( Cavs were in neither that year however ). Cavs competed with the others in Lynn at the World Open. Michael Boo may tell us that he has a vivid memory of where people were standing and what they were saying and doing ( bus driver from the charter Co, unrelated in anyone in the Cavs, running after an overage Muchacho and taking a picture at night of him at a Drum Corps show parking lot in 1975, we're told ) but Boo sure doesn't remember the stadium nor the City the stadium he was in at the time these ( his words ) " stunningly clear " memories of his that took place over 35 years ago, it certainly appears.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Holy cow... I had no idea it was quite so... yeah. blink.gif

Mike

indeed, especially the alleged incident part

No, its not " correct ". In 1975, the World Open was held in Lynn Ma at the Manning Bowl. The World Open has never been held in Everett Ma. ( although Everett Stadium has been the venue for both local Eastern Ma circuit shows, CYO, DCI and DCA shows many times in the 60's, 70's. ) In 1975, DCI East Championships were at Cawley Stadium in Lowell Ma and the CYO Nationals were at Boston College Stadium right outside Boston. ( Cavs were in neither that year however ). Cavs competed with the others in Lynn at the World Open. Michael Boo may tell us that he has a vivid memory of where people were standing and what they were saying and doing ( bus driver from the charter Co, unrelated in anyone in the Cavs, running after an overage Muchacho and taking a picture at night of him at a Drum Corps show parking lot in 1975, we're told ) but Boo sure doesn't remember the stadium nor the City the stadium he was in at the time these ( his words ) " stunningly clear " memories of his that took place over 35 years ago, it certainly appears.

Hi Brasso,

check out what I found on corpsreps.com

Friday August 8, 1975 World Open - Class A Prelims Lynn MA Santa Clara Vanguard 89.050 Saturday August 9, 1975 World Open Everett MA Avant Garde 71.300

Everett MAWorld Open

PositionCorpsScore All-Girl 1 St. Ignatius 68.250 2 Fire-Ettes 63.200 3 Jeanettes 55.200 4 Socialites 49.350 Class A 1 Blue Devils 91.050 2 Santa Clara Vanguard 89.050 3 27th Lancers 87.400 4 Muchachos 86.550 5 Kilties 84.500 6 Cavaliers 81.800 7 Phantom Regiment 80.500 8 Royal Crusaders 79.850 9 Garfield Cadets 77.500 10 Falcon Cadets 72.450 11 St. Francis Xavier Sancians 69.750 12 Crossmen 68.750 Class B 1 Avant Garde 71.300 2 Meadowlarks 64.000 3 Kingston Indians 57.750 4 Golden Buccaneers 57.700 5 Townsmen 57.350 6 Classics 55.500

so whattya know....Boo's right

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=scoreshow&showid=1975013

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1