THE HAWTHORNE MUCHACHOS: WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

There was quite a discussion back in 2007 on Sound Machine. Names are named, so parental discretion is advised.

I will not post the direct link here, but a search will reveal this page quite easily.

Thanks for directing me to that thread. I've never really followed that forum. The post from the Muchachos alum is far more useful than DeLucia's account (at least up until he goes into standard DCI-killed-my-corps conspiracy) and differs from it on a couple of key points. More useful than the account in the drum corps history book, too, and a decent complement to the Cavies/DCI viewpoint I've read on here and elsewhere.

Quick question: Was the Muchachos director's name spelled McAuliffe or MacAuliffe? I've seen it written both ways. Seems like his first name was John, but did he go by any other name. The murder thing sounds like another drum corps legend, and not a very well known one judging by the reactions in this thread. I've searched through some databases that include papers from northern New Jersey (which I'm assuming is where the supposed murder took place) and can't find any evidence of it, though that certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen.

This is certainly debatable it would seem to me. I don't ever recall in the past a series of scheming secret meetings behind closed doors by a few that plotted against their fellow collegues, then used attempted extortion and threats upon the others in a quest to pretty much take over the operation of DCI. That was pretty disgusting, " shady " and totally unprecedented if you ask me. It wasn't even done in an open and collegial manner. Far from it as a matter of fact.

You keep mixing thread subjects like this, Brasso, and Fran is going to boot you back to the TOC thread.

But, then again, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing. :tongue:/>/>

This is one of the most interesting DCI stories I've ever read. Having been around at the time (in the stands in '75), and even after hearing rumors and reading about Gail's actions, I never knew these details of what happened to M, let alone the jail time, bow and arrow, and suicide details.

I wonder if the activity will be around 30 years from now for me to reflect on where I was when the '10 coup attempt took place...

(Heck, I wonder if I'LL be around in 30 years!)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

No, its not " correct ". In 1975, the World Open was held in Lynn Ma at the Manning Bowl. The World Open has never been held in Everett Ma. ( although Everett Stadium has been the venue for both local Eastern Ma circuit shows, CYO, DCI and DCA shows many times in the 60's, 70's. )

You may not want to rely solely on memory. I went and checked my '75 World Open LPs, and sure enough, the same reprint of H. Worth Ake's DCN article was there, citing Everett's Memorial Stadium as the venue for the 1975 World Open finals. I take it from the references to flooding that there was some rain in the vicinity, which also jives with Boo's recollection.

Apparently, the 1974 World Open wasn't held in Lynn either. Per Drum Corps World's August 30, 1974, issue (p. 11), Bill Naiden describes the pros and cons of Lowell's Cawley Stadium vs. the previous Manning Bowl site. One page later, a contest report on the show (no reporter named) gives more detail on how repairs at the Manning Bowl necessitated the move to Cawley Memorial Stadium in Lowell with only a month's advance notice. Cawley was not entirely problem-free either, as this is where the infamous sprinklers went on a few times during the Kilties' performance in finals.

• Like 3

Hi, sorry, my info did not come from corpsreps, or any other website, it came right from the World Open albums/programs and drum corps publications.

You can find the info about World Open Everett 75 on the back cover of the 1975 World Open LP's/Vinyl written by H. Worth Ake where he writes, quote, "An over 10,000 audience filled Everett Mass. Memorial Stadium to watch 7 DCI and 5 other outstanding corps compete under ideal condition for the first of the National titles this season"

If you do not have these albums the info on the back of the LP was taken from his Drum Corps News article of the same from the 8/20/1975 DCN Vol XV No. 13.

The World Open program itself(74 and 75)thanks the fans for their, quote,"wonderful cooperation in our time of need and for your unfailing understanding and good-natured acceptance of the inconvenience caused to you by our emergency move from our home of many years in Manning Bowl, Lynn. We apologize for this inconvenience and regret that it was necessary."

Not sure how/why you would take info from one website(pressbox)as right but not another(corpsreps)as I have found both have about the very same amount of inaccuracies as the other, I myself will take the info from the actual World Open records/programs and Drum Corps News that I quoted from as correct over either site you mentioned.

You surely must be wrong and are dreaming that you're reading such liner notes, or else you're having a reaction between your Metamucil and you Kaopectate. It's clearly been stated in this thread, "The World Open has never been held in Everett Ma." Remember, I, "Michael Boo may tell us that he has a vivid memory of where people were standing and what they were saying and doing... but Boo sure doesn't remember the stadium nor the City the stadium he was in at the time these ( his words ) " stunningly clear " memories of his that took place over 35 years ago, it certainly appears."

With that in mind, I must call BS on you reading that on the World Open liner notes. I'll now let you apologize for trying to mislead us. :tongue:

• Like 3

You may not want to rely solely on memory. I went and checked my '75 World Open LPs, and sure enough, the same reprint of H. Worth Ake's DCN article was there, citing Everett's Memorial Stadium as the venue for the 1975 World Open finals. I take it from the references to flooding that there was some rain in the vicinity, which also jives with Boo's recollection.

Apparently, the 1974 World Open wasn't held in Lynn either. Per Drum Corps World's August 30, 1974, issue (p. 11), Bill Naiden describes the pros and cons of Lowell's Cawley Stadium vs. the previous Manning Bowl site. One page later, a contest report on the show (no reporter named) gives more detail on how repairs at the Manning Bowl necessitated the move to Cawley Memorial Stadium in Lowell with only a month's advance notice. Cawley was not entirely problem-free either, as this is where the infamous sprinklers went on a few times during the Kilties' performance in finals.

My goodness; are you now part of the conspiracy of misinformation as well? :shutup:

• Like 1

"Station Break"

"World Open"

The olde DCN sponsored World Open was also held outside Massachusetts in New Jersey and Connecticut. The FIRST WO was at the long gone Jersey City Roosevelt Stadium. The second WO was held in Bridgeport CT at Harding HS Hedges Stadium.

The third WO was also held in Bridgeport CT at Central HS JFK Stadium. The first and second WO's were "Junior & Senior" Championships with The NY Skyliners winning in 1963 and the Conn Hurricanes in 1964.

The 1965 WO was "Juniors Only" with exibitions given by the two past senior champions Skyliners and Hurricanes.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program....

Elphaba

I take it from the references to flooding that there was some rain in the vicinity, which also jives with Boo's recollection.

I decided to investigate this further. Here's what I found. On this website, which I found by Googling "Boston weather August 1975", In the section under "Precipitation/Present Weather Reports," it states, "The day in 1975 with the most precipitation observations was August 7." There's a graph that shows August 7, two days before the World Open Finals, having quite a bit of rain. Under "Liquid Precipitation Reports" further down, there's more info about August 7. Apparently that was quite a wet day.

But I'm betting Weatherspark is part of the conspiracy. :devil:

• Like 1

You surely must be wrong and are dreaming that you're reading such liner notes, or else you're having a reaction between your Metamucil and you Kaopectate. It's clearly been stated in this thread, "The World Open has never been held in Everett Ma." Remember, I, "Michael Boo may tell us that he has a vivid memory of where people were standing and what they were saying and doing... but Boo sure doesn't remember the stadium nor the City the stadium he was in at the time these ( his words ) " stunningly clear " memories of his that took place over 35 years ago, it certainly appears."

With that in mind, I must call BS on you reading that on the World Open liner notes. I'll now let you apologize for trying to mislead us. :tongue:

I knew H. Worth Ake pretty well... he was a great man and a visionary, without a doubt.

Apparently he was so much of a visionary that, when he wrote that article in 1975, he knew he would be contributing to a controversy on an Internet forum in 2013.

Perhaps he wasn't in Everett, or Lynn, or anywhere else in Massachusetts when he wrote that piece. Perhaps he knew... he just knew... that if he wrote in a certain way, with certain geographical references, it would make people question whether or not the World Open was, in fact, even held in 1975.

Think about that for a few seconds. And then get on with your lives. :ph34r:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

OK.... to sum up:

In the past several pages of this thread, we have discussed everything from Mike Boo's memory and his possible involvement in a variety of conspiracies... my memory and the possibility that the use of hard drugs may somehow have altered said memory... my corps' hopelessly pathetic performance at World Open Class B prelims in 1975... Brasso's fond recollections of various New England towns and their geographic proximity to each other... his breakdown of the timeline of various events during the spring and summer of 1975, up to and including the seizure of the USS Mayaguez by forces of the Khmer Rouge of Cambodia... whether or not the Muchachos should have been disqualified for marching an overage member... whether or not a member of the Cavaliers "outed" that overage member... whether or not that Cavaliers member was shielded by parents, bus drivers, other corps members, or random people from the local town who were forced into service against their will to act as a cordon between him and the alleged overage member of the Muchachos... the whereabouts of Jim Jones during a portion of DCI Prelims in 1975, including whether or not he used either a golf cart, scooter, roller skates, or some other form of transport that would have allowed him to get from the stadium to the parking lot and back in 15 minutes or less... the exact positioning of Mike Boo in relation to at least one DCI official, several members of the ambulance crew on duty, and one spectator heading back to his seat after picking up some popcorn and a soda at Prelims in 1975... and whether or not the "Dennis Delucia" mentioned throughout this thread was the Muchachos percussion instuctor, or in fact a CIA operative whose real name was Larry Smith.

Carry on.

• Like 3