THE HAWTHORNE MUCHACHOS: WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Hey, I knew Larry Smith and, believe me, Dennis DeLucia is no Larry Smith.

:tongue:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I appreciate your comments, and a little further perspective... In 75', we were a corps with a HUGE chip on our shoulders that was birthed out of the "Ithaca" fiasco of 74' (it's amazing how a motivator like anger will propel you)...Our collective attitude all summer was, "this is personal, it's all business, and we won’t be denied"! Thus, we worked like a corps that was possessed!

Saw the Muchachos that summer... great corps. Saw the Vanguard... great corps. And let's not forget the Blue Devils, who won World Open Finals that year by two full points over the Vanguard... another great corps. 27th Lancers... great corps.

But there was something special about the Scouts that year.

That huge opening impact in "Slaughter"... from the back sideline... that, alone, sent a message: "This is OUR year and OUR championship to win." And they did!!!

! I, like most, always believed that the 1975 Muchachos were "in a league all of their own" with everyone else competing for 2nd place - leaving Madison only to "slide into the winning slot by default". Why? Because that's how the story has always been told

You must hang out in different circles than me. I 'm for the East Coast, and meet with lots of Drum Corps fans in these parts ( New England anyway ), and I've never heard it once uttered that the Madison Scouts won the DCI Championship in 1975 by " sliding into it by default ". There is the natural frustration that the two did not compete at Finals, as there was lots of movement up and down in those days and certainly Muchachos would have had a shot... but the Madison Scouts were the Corp to beat and unless it was folks connected to he Muchachos expressing comfidence as Finals Week rolled around, it was pretty clear to most of the people that I knew that the Madison Scouts were the favorites and that the Muchachos ( and the others ) were the underdogs to them. So I'm not sure who you have been talking too, but few people that I knew back then ( nor today ) did not have enormous respect for the 1975 Madison Scouts. This '75 Madison Corps has received its due credit as evidenced by its selection by fans nationwide as one of the best and selected for the showing in the nationwide theatres with the " Classic Greats " marketing, and as recently as this year being selected once again for one of the best of all time and included in the DCI Blu Ray Disc of great shows of all time. So its not like the 75 Madison Scouts did not, and have not, received their due credit. By contrast, We have NO videos of the full performance of the 1975 Muchachos from that season anywhere in existence. Thats a shame, imo. It is the great 1975 Madison Scouts that we have fortunately been able to have saved for posterity, and can revisit and watch and listen too whenever we want.... both fans from that era, as well as newer fans not around back then. We cannot do that for an also great 1975 Hawthorne Muchachos Drum Corps. Thats unfortunate. But I do think that the great 1975 Madison Scouts Corps has gotten their due credit from fans everywhere. I certainly thought they were deserving Champions, and most of my friends seem to think so as well... (even though the Muchachos were disqualified after Prelims and didn't get their shot to show us otherwise.) So I don't where that observation you seem to have gotten of the 75 Madison Scouts is coming from.

Edited by BRASSO

We have NO videos of the full performance of the 1975 Muchachos from that season anywhere in existence.

Well, I have one in my closet. I got an absolutely HORRIBLE dub of a tape shot at '75 DCI prelims. It's black & white, the sound is bad.....but it is a complete show video.

I don't even remember who I got it from some 20 years ago.

Well, I have one in my closet. I got an absolutely HORRIBLE dub of a tape shot at '75 DCI prelims. It's black & white, the sound is bad.....but it is a complete show video.

I don't even remember who I got it from some 20 years ago.

I am not aware that the full 1975 Prelims video show performance of the Hawthorne Muchachos exists.... anywhere. Check the one in your closet. My guess, its not their 75 Prelims performance. I have seen a very small portion of their '75 performance... awful.. just awful... garbled sound quality, and the picture quality so washed out and so completely blurry its pretty much totally unwatchable.

Edited by BRASSO

I have seen a very small portion of their '75 performance ( awful.. just awful... garbled sound quality, and the picture quality so washed out and so completely blurry its pretty much totally unwatchable ), but thats interesting to learn.

The sound on my dub is like a wobbling wombat....with a cheetah taped to her back.:lookaround:/>

The sound on my dub is like a wobbling wombat....with a cheetah taped to her back.:lookaround:/>/>/>

True. There really isn't even a video of the full performance of the '75 Hawthorne Muchachos at Prelims in Philly in existence anywhere as far as I know.... even a garbled audio and blurry picture quality one.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

True. There really isn't even a video of the full performance of the '75 Hawthorne Muchachos at Prelims in Philly in existence anywhere as far as I know.... even a garbled audio and blurry picture quality one.

Except for that one in my closet. (And the original tape that my dub came from.)

And mine truly is garbled and blurry.

Edited by Northern Thunder
  • Like 1

Except for that one in my closet. (And the original tape that my dub came from.)

And mine truly is garbled and blurry.

I was under the impression that there is no '75 full show video Prelims performance of the Hawthorne Muchachos in Philly anywhere in existence. Are you sure that video in your closet is a video of the '75 Hawthorne Muchachos FULL SHOW Philly PRELIMS performance ? Just asking, mind you.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

We have NO videos of the full performance of the 1975 Muchachos from that season anywhere in existence.

There is the "day after" exhibition from the Jim Jones collection that DCW is selling as part of a package. Haven't seen it but have seen other vids taken from the same location (Hershey 74 on Cabs webiste) and another show from the Jones collection (Carlisle 74). Doubt if this vid would solve any arguments if like the other vids.

Both Madison and Hawthorne were on that "day after" night...

Edited by JimF-LowBari