THE HAWTHORNE MUCHACHOS: WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Yes, my video was shot by an individual seated in the stands.

I see.

You must hang out in different circles than me. I 'm for the East Coast, and meet with lots of Drum Corps fans in these parts ( New England anyway ), and I've never heard it once uttered that the Madison Scouts won the DCI Championship in 1975 by " sliding into it by default ". There is the natural frustration that the two did not compete at Finals, as there was lots of movement up and down in those days and certainly Muchachos would have had a shot... but the Madison Scouts were the Corp to beat and unless it was folks connected to he Muchachos expressing comfidence as Finals Week rolled around, it was pretty clear to most of the people that I knew that the Madison Scouts were the favorites and that the Muchachos ( and the others ) were the underdogs to them. So I'm not sure who you have been talking too, but few people that I knew back then ( nor today ) did not have enormous respect for the 1975 Madison Scouts. This '75 Madison Corps has received its due credit as evidenced by its selection by fans nationwide as one of the best and selected for the showing in the nationwide theatres with the " Classic Greats " marketing, and as recently as this year being selected once again for one of the best of all time and included in the DCI Blu Ray Disc of great shows of all time. So its not like the 75 Madison Scouts did not, and have not, received their due credit. By contrast, We have NO videos of the full performance of the 1975 Muchachos from that season anywhere in existence. Thats a shame, imo. It is the great 1975 Madison Scouts that we have fortunately been able to have saved for posterity, and can revisit and watch and listen too whenever we want.... both fans from that era, as well as newer fans not around back then. We cannot do that for an also great 1975 Hawthorne Muchachos Drum Corps. Thats unfortunate. But I do think that the great 1975 Madison Scouts Corps has gotten their due credit from fans everywhere. I certainly thought they were deserving Champions, and most of my friends seem to think so as well... (even though the Muchachos were disqualified after Prelims and didn't get their shot to show us otherwise.) So I don't where that observation you seem to have gotten of the 75 Madison Scouts is coming from.

First of all, calm down. You act as though I am bashing the Madison Scouts. Quite the contrary (or does my signature banner down below with Madison at the top of my favorite corps along with my posting history not give you a hint). Secondly, even Mad75 confirmed that many throughout the years have indeed hyped Muchachos the way I have suggested, even to the point where he said "every other brother" has heard the same such comments and "shaken their heads in disgust". So, calm yourself.

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 1

This has been a very interesting thread. I was in the newly-formed Crossmen in 1975. We weren't that close to the upper tiers of competition, competed in prelims very early in the morning of the first day of prelims, got a low score (that put us in 24th) and only heard about what happened to the Muchachos later.

I just want to advise patience with people and their memories. I was also in the Crossmen in 1976 when we got disqualified for having an overaged member also. Sometimes we discuss the incident--our "outing" happened in Sevierville--and it is amazing how different people WHO WERE THERE remember different things and in different ways.

Today, we live in an age where any important incident is documented by multiple cellphone videos. People can get on the internet immediately and share observations when their memories are fresh. If you can't remember a news story, you look it up on the internet. We can't do that with old Drum Corps News and Drum Corps World stories.*

So, we have to be a little tolerant that people are remembering an incident differently or recounting it differently. It's great to have a thread like this for people to share what they remember and we can read the different perspectives.

* as far as I know. If there is an online archive of old drum corps media stories, let me know. If there isn't, wouldn't it be great?

Just out of curiosity (if it doesn't hurt too much), what were the circumstances of the Crossmen DQ? Obviously, the Muchacho DQ is being discussed here; the short version of the Bridgemen DQ is "we thought they could march up until the day they turned 22 mid-season - we replaced them in the show at that time".

Just curious...

Just out of curiosity (if it doesn't hurt too much), what were the circumstances of the Crossmen DQ? Obviously, the Muchacho DQ is being discussed here; the short version of the Bridgemen DQ is "we thought they could march up until the day they turned 22 mid-season - we replaced them in the show at that time".

Just curious...

Good question. I have never heard the story behind that DQ.

It's apparent all these years later that any mention of what transpired is still going to bring back bad feelings, as evidenced by the red marks given me for simply thanking someone for sharing their memories and to a couple others for just offering insights into what was going on with Madison Scouts.

• Like 2

By contrast, We have NO videos of the full performance of the 1975 Muchachos from that season anywhere in existence. Thats a shame, imo. It is the great 1975 Madison Scouts that we have fortunately been able to have saved for posterity, and can revisit and watch and listen too whenever we want....

Actually...Believe it or not, someone out there does have a half way decent video of the 75' Muchachos. I know this, because I've seen it! If memory serves me, it was a mid-season, day-time show. I say mid-season, because they seemed to be quite clean musically and visually, and they were performing the heck out of the show. It was in black-and-white, and somewhat grainy, but the sound came across well enough, and it was obviously taken from up in the stands by I'm guessing a fan, etc. Also, the person doing the recording is heard saying before the performance something like, "and here's the 1975 Muchachos"! I remember reacting to what I was watching as thinking, "wow, it's too bad, because these guys were quite good". Here's the problem though, I ran across this "missing link" by complete accident about a year ago and I was unsuccessful in grabbing it online. And then like a mirage, the following day it disappeared...It was like someone put it out there as a tease, and then removed it again from all existence. I searched and searched and never found it again. But, someone definitely has this recording. The conspiracy theorist would conclude that DCI caught wind of it and immediately "expunged" any evidence of the Muchachos 75' season from the public record. Like Ramses of Egypt declaring the name of Moses to be stricken from all recorded time and to speak the very name shall be punishable by death!...But, it’s out there.

That’s what I know…

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 1

It's apparent all these years later that any mention of what transpired is still going to bring back bad feelings, as evidenced by the red marks given me for simply thanking someone for sharing their memories and to a couple others for just offering insights into what was going on with Madison Scouts.

Michael...red marks or not, your perspective and insight is invaluable. Keep the history and commentary coming.

Now, carry on soldier!

That is all...

• Like 2

Just curious...

It's been discussed a few times when DQs with Bridgemen and Muchachos have come up. Crossmen were DQed at a regular season show and that meant they were DQ'ed for DCI later that season. Or was it all shows the rest of the year, never quite sure....

Weird part was Drum Corps News only had one article that I remember at the time but maybe I didn't have a subscription that year so I missed some. In the article I did see the writer implied that "someone" had it in for Crossmen and they will be back regardless of the implied vedetta. Whole #### article made no sense and didn't even say why the corps was DQ'ed :blink: .....

All I do know for sure was overhearing some "adults" (no idea if staff or volunteers) next year b-wording during practice time at the Crossmens Spring concert about it. Buccs and Westshore were there to perform and let's just say someone with the corps needed to explain the concept of how to act/talk in public. Guess Lance Armstrong was there as the expression "everyone else is doing it" was the main phrase in use.... Oy.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Yes, my video was shot by an individual seated in the stands.

I have a cassette recording of that same performance. Listened to it a few times several years ago... don't know where it is now.

Somewhere in a pile of stuff around here, I'm sure. :tongue: