THE HAWTHORNE MUCHACHOS: WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Corpsrep is frequently wrong, Jeff

You may want to check out 1975 as to the World Open Finals being in Lynn Ma :

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/1975seasonscores.htm

Edited by BRASSO

Another source... not only scores, but recaps, and list of judges for the World Open Finals in LYNN ma ( not " Everett " ) on 8/ 9/ 1975 :

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19750809worldopen.htm

http://www.fromthepr...easonscores.htm

well, I have corrected errors on FromThePressBox.com as well.

Since we have a website and two people that were there saying Everrett, right now unless someone gives me proof otherwise, I'll side with them...and I am looking for that proof

well, I have corrected errors on FromThePressBox.com as well.

Since we have a website and two people that were there saying Everrett, right now unless someone gives me proof otherwise, I'll side with them...and I am looking for that proof

I was there at the World Open too. But unlike one of the other two I never tell somerone I have a " stunningly clear " mermory of something that took place on 8/8/ 1975. I'm the only one of the three from Massachusetts, and I can't tell you where I was on 8/9/ 2012 in Massachusetts let alone over 35 years ago on August 9th of 1975 in Massachusetts, so I won't make the claim that the show was definately in Lynn, but it seems so to me anyway that it was. I don't ever recall going to prelims in Everett Ma for the World Open, and I usually went to the World Open prelims and Finals almost all of the years they held the World Open in Massachusetts ( its been in Connecticut in the 60's I believe too ).... as well as competed in both the Prelims and Finals there at the World Open several times. I like my source ( "fromthepressbox" ) to refresh my memory a lot better than Corpseps too... but who knows,it was afterall over 35 years ago.

Edited by BRASSO

The first World Open in 1963 was held in Jersey City, NJ. In 64 and 65 they were held in Bridgeport, CT. In 1966 World Open moved to Lynn, where both Prelims and Finals were held every year until 1974, 1974 Prelims were in Lynn but Finals were in Lowell. The 1975 World Open Prelims were also in Lynn, Finals were in Everett. In 1976 both Prelims and Finals were again held in Lynn and stayed that way right through the last one in 1982.

The first World Open in 1963 was held in Jersey City, NJ. In 64 and 65 they were held in Bridgeport, CT. In 1966 World Open moved to Lynn, where both Prelims and Finals were held every year until 1974, 1974 Prelims were in Lynn but Finals were in Lowell. The 1975 World Open Prelims were also in Lynn, Finals were in Everett. In 1976 both Prelims and Finals were again held in Lynn and stayed that way right through the last one in 1982.

You got this from Corpsrep. They've been wrong so many times on Corps, scores, dates, stuff, we can't count them all.

Source for 1974 Prelims and Finals of World Open both in Lynn as well this year too ( although, they've made mistakes too on occasion.. just less than Corpsreps, just sayin'

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/1974seasonscores.htm

Edited by BRASSO

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/1975seasonscores.htm

The ###### show was held in Everett at Everett Memorial Stadium! The Manning Bowl was closed for a year due to renovations. Don't make me come over there.

It was a one-year deal due to the renovations at the Manning Bowl. When we went to World Open in 1976, it was a totally different place. The World Open in 1975 was plopped right in a residential area of houses right behind the main stands. The stadium was practically in people's back yards. I wrote about that in Cavaliers' 1975 yearbook, my first corps writing experience.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

THANK YOU!!!! What stadium in Lynn held Prelims? It wasn't the Manning Bowl.

Edited by Michael Boo

Its very unclear when and how Royer ( SCV ) found out... and if it was internally found out, or if he got wind that others from outside his organization knew and were about to go to DCI, and he got wind of this that way and then he took the initiative to boot the others out in a self policing act. We really only know the SCV version of it. Did these overage marchers march Prelims in 1989 and between Prelims and Finals, somehow Royer found out ? Did Royer find it out himself just going thru passports between Prelims and Finals ? Its an odd time to be checking on members qualifications with all going on that week with his Corps, no ? Or did somebody tip him off that he had 2 overage members... and how did these folks find out just hours before Finals ? I think it interesting that "Tommy" in 1975 that was cut from the Muchachos and then was taken in by the Cavaliers knew from the first show in that summer that Muchachos had overage marchers, but waited until his Cavaliers Corps was fighting for a Finals spot during Championship week to rat out the Muchachos. Sure, the Muchachos had overage marchers, but so didn't half the corps ( or more ) that were competing for the top 12 in 1975 have overage marchers ( as Dennis Delucia said ). The Muchachos were wrong and they went down in flames for what they did, but they could have taken SEVERAL well known Corps down with them if they wanted too because they knew other Corps had overage members as well in 1975. LOTS of Corps marched overage members in the 60's and 70's. Many of us know both their names even today as well as their Corps as a matter of fact.

A: Gail Royer found out about the overaged members when two corps members came over from England to see the DCI World Championships, went to a Vanguard rehearsal, and spotted the two horn players from their corps back in England whom they knew were overaged. It had nothing to do with Royer thinking someone might spill the beans and he thought he needed to be preemptive. I spoke with Gail about this. He was livid at the members and he wanted the immigration authorities to throw the book at them, since they forged their passports and the forgery was so good it fooled US Immigration.

B: To turn in an overage member, a corps needed proof that another corps was marching said overage member in DCI competition. The 1975 World Open was the only time both corps met all summer, other than DCI World Championship Prelims. Hence, it was the only place where photographic evidence that said member(s) did in fact march a contest...when the other corps came off the field. Had Cavaliers been on right after Muchachos at World Open Finals, the photographic evidence would not have occurred as the guy you say "ratted out" Muchachos would have been in preparation to go on the field with his corps.

This was not something that just happened on the spur of the moment, as you implied. It had nothing to do with Cavaliers "fighting for a Finals spot." The corps was numerically pretty well inside of the top-12 until the World Championships Prelims, when something happened and the corps came in 11th. In Finals, the corps placed 8th, rising three spots from Prelims...a record for jumping from one consecutive show to Finals at the World Championships. (Not be be confused with something like Phantom Regiment in 1996, who moved up three positions from Quarterfinals, but went up to 3rd in Semifinals first.)

I was there at the World Open too. But unlike one of the other two I never tell somerone I have a " stunningly clear " mermory of something that took place on 8/8/ 1975.

What can I say? I have a stunningly clear memory of it because I was involved (not by desire) in one of the most dramatic things to ever happen in DCI, in my first year in a drum corps. And I took notes about everything on tour for some in-house writing...my first writing about drum corps.

I'm not going to change my story when it would be a lie to say I didn't remember that element of the evening clearly. We all knew that if what we were told was real, it would be beyond dramatic, and not in a good or happy way.

• Like 3