THE HAWTHORNE MUCHACHOS: WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

As I'm writing this, I've got my 1975 Cavaliers yearbook opened up in front of me. In the article I wrote about tour, I mention, "The show was held in a stadium in Everett, Mass. Everett was many miles outside of Boston and we had to go through Boston to get there. (I mentioned earlier in the 9-page article that we were staying at Keefe Tech HS in Framingham, MA.) The field was in terrible shape and the stadium appeared to be rather small."

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

No, its not " correct ". In 1975, the World Open was held in Lynn Ma at the Manning Bowl. The World Open has never been held in Everett Ma. ( although Everett Stadium has been the venue for both local Eastern Ma circuit shows, CYO, DCI and DCA shows many times in the 60's, 70's. ) In 1975, DCI East Championships were at Cawley Stadium in Lowell Ma and the CYO Nationals were at Boston College Stadium right outside Boston. ( Cavs were in neither that year however ). Cavs competed with the others in Lynn at the World Open. Michael Boo may tell us that he has a vivid memory of where people were standing and what they were saying and doing ( bus driver from the charter Co, unrelated in anyone in the Cavs, running after an overage Muchacho and taking a picture at night of him at a Drum Corps show parking lot in 1975, we're told ) but Boo sure doesn't remember the stadium nor the City the stadium he was in at the time these ( his words ) " stunningly clear " memories of his that took place over 35 years ago, it certainly appears.

Would you like me to describe what I was wearing? Let's see...a green satin blouse with black trousers and a wide cummerbund with a heavy belt buckle. Yeppers...I remember that night clearly. I don't remember every day so clearly, perhaps, but that was an exciting and terrifying time.

Sorry if you don't have the same clarity of some memories. Some things were quite important to me as I was taking notes to write about them. I know I wouldn't doubt you if you stated you remembered what you ate for dinner last night, just because i don't remember what I ate. However, I'm still fat, so I'm guessing I did eat dinner.

• Like 3

Sure, the Muchachos had overage marchers, but so didn't half the corps ( or more ) that were competing for the top 12 in 1975 have overage marchers...

I'm going to let that reasoning roll around in my head for awhile.

If other corps had proof of any other corps that were knowingly marching overaged members, I wish they had shared the proof. Perhaps if word had gotten out that there was much to lose for doing so, one of my dearest and most cherished friends whom I love like a brother would not have suffered through those horrible consequences in 1975.

Double post.

OMG...I'm fallible! Run for the exits! Save yourselves!

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

The '74 World Open and '75 DCI East were in the same stadium. Marched '74, attended '75. Believe it was Cawley. With the "revival show" going on at the same time in the tent outside the stadium.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Cawley+Memorial+Stadium&id=7138AF086D002F730F72E419912C279321473185&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=2C88D4D8C4E3A5CEFB2DCD2700BBF28D2BD6439D&selectedIndex=31

• Like 1

Here's another thing I remember about the Everett stadium. Parts of it were a muddy mess due to what must have been rain that apparently had come in fairly soon before the performance date. There were several dumpings of sand around the field. I don't remember any sand on the field performance area, but the areas around it were covered with sand. The entire area where the corps marched off had lots of sand dumped on it, plus some plywood laid down over the pathway. Our free day in Boston the day before was wet, but not wet enough to have required all that sand.

This was not something that just happened on the spur of the moment, as you implied. It had nothing to do with Cavaliers "fighting for a Finals spot.

I'll accept Michael that in 1975 you marched Cavaliers in the World Open at Everett Ma ( not Lynn ), as there is conflicting data on this, but if you distinctly recall it, then I 'll accept it.

Moving forward, can we assume that " Tommy " who was cut from the Muchachos drumline ( according to DCI Hall of Famer, Dennis Delucia ) knew the name of at least one person in the Muchachos (drumline) that was overage, was going to march in 1975 with the Muchachos, and upon arrival with the Cavaliers in the winter of 1975, " Tommy " knew that the Muchachos were going to march this overage member that upcoming season ?

Do we agree that the Cavaliers were fighting for a top 12 Finalist spot in 1975 come August ( according to Dennis Delucia ) ? Cavaliers did finish 11th at prelims after outing the Muchachos overage marcher, and had Muchachos score at prelims been entered the Cavaliers would have sat in that last finalist spot, 12th. Theres not much wiggle room there Michael at 12th. And 2 Corps finished within 2 points of Cavs at Prelims as it was. So we should be able to assume that a few days before Prelims, the Cavs were by no means a lock to make the Finals that year. Especially when scores and placements back them were subject to greater volatility... as I'm sure you are aware... than that of today.

Knowing these two things, can you see how outsiders can look at this and see how at the very least the timing of all this was very suspect ? " Tommy " certainly made aware to the Cavaliers his intimate knowledge that Muchachos had at least one overage marcher back before the season began..... someone he befriended and someone he marched right alongside with when he was in the Muchachos drumline. So the Cavaliers certainly did not have to wait until a couple of days before the DCI championship Prelims to rat out the overage marcher in the Muchachos to DCI HQ. The Cavaliers knew ( or lets say " heavily suspected " ) other Corps had overage marchers ( some right in their backyard ) and Paul Milano admits as such. What the Muchachos did with knowingly utilizing overage marcher(s) is wrong and required disqualification, no question about it, imo... but the TIMING of the Cavaliers move, right before Finals, knowing where they sat in placement rank that year a few days before Championships, and knowing they had this info before the season began, does sort of rankle people a bit, Michael.

Edited by BRASSO

While the OP is certainly interesting, I hope that one day someone from Muchacho's side of the story will be able to discuss openly and honestly without hiding names and sources, without making unfounded accusations, and without the victim complex. Guys from the other side of the story certainly seem to be to do this. As a neutral party with an intense interest in the history of drum corps it would be great to have trustworthy accounts from both sides of the incident.

• Like 1

"The show was held in a stadium in Everett, Mass. Everett was many miles outside of Boston.

Only if you consider 5 miles " many ", but not to quibble, its a minor point.

Edited by BRASSO