"Tour of Champions" 2013

I just wasn't aware that they kicked out the 8th corps that they've had the last 2 years.

Among other things. The G7 just wing it primarily based upon what 2 people are pushing. 2 people are primarily flying the G7 plane and are in the cockpit. The others in their small plane are sitting in their seats with an intercom and their seat belts on, as there could be some turbulence up ahead with the small plane. But they trust fully in the pilot and his co pilot. If the small plane is overloaded the two have the authority to drop off one or more of the passengers at the nearest airport and let them fend for themselves there before the two take off in their small plane again.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Among other things. The G7 just wing it primarily based upon what 2 people are pushing. 2 people are primarily flying the G7 plane and are in the cockpit. The others in their small plane are sitting in their seats with an intercom and their seat belts on, as there could be some turbulence up ahead with the small plane. But they trust fully in the pilot and his co pilot. If the small plane is overloaded the two have the authority to drop off one or more of the passengers at the nearest airport and let them fend for themselves there before the two take off in their small plane again.

That sounds just about right unfortunately.

That sounds just about right unfortunately.

If nothing else, it should make for an interesting DCI season however DrumManTx.

Why waste the time and fuel to land, especially when we need the approval of those nasty air-traffic controllers.

"Does everyone have their parachutes strapped on and securely tightened?...

I'm still really failing to see the GIANT HUGE PROBLEM here. Look, there are corps that are successful and those that aren't in DCI. It's a competition, there are winners and losers, just like in life. There are corps that will come and go, either through poor management, lack of interest, lack of competitive success, whatever. But there are also those corps that will rise to the top, have a well-funded support network, huge interest year-in and year-out, and competitive success. That's just a fact of life. So, why is it the responsibility of those that are successful to take care of and babysit those that aren't? I don't think BD's funding took a big hit the year that Cascades took off, or when Magic folded. And I don't think the Cadets felt a huge crash when the Long Island Squires went away. In fact, corps folding can sometimes make others stronger, because of the influx of members that comes from it. This whole system sounds a bit like expecting a billion dollar corporation to walk down to the local corner store once a day to make sure they're still doing okay and keep them in business.

I'm not arguing that DCI isn't an educational system that as many students should participate in as possible, because people have said that before. But should it be the responsibility of the most successful to take care of the less successful, or make sure that they don't get dragged down or forced to go inactive? If people are so concerned about the lower corps surviving, get involved. Donate, volunteer, do something that doesn't involve trying to burn the top corps at the stake. There are probably more successful uses of your time and finger strength.

Is it June yet? I'm jonesing for some shows.

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 4

This is rediculous.

I'm still really failing to see the GIANT HUGE PROBLEM here. Look, there are corps that are successful and those that aren't in DCI. It's a competition, there are winners and losers, just like in life. There are corps that will come and go, either through poor management, lack of interest, lack of competitive success, whatever. But there are also those corps that will rise to the top, have a well-funded support network, huge interest year-in and year-out, and competitive success. That's just a fact of life. So, why is it the responsibility of those that are successful to take care of and babysit those that aren't? I don't think BD's funding took a big hit the year that Cascades took off, or when Magic folded. And I don't think the Cadets felt a huge crash when the Long Island Squires went away. In fact, corps folding can sometimes make others stronger, because of the influx of members that comes from it. This whole system sounds a bit like expecting a billion dollar corporation to walk down to the local corner store once a day to make sure they're still doing okay and keep them in business.

I'm not arguing that DCI isn't an educational system that as many students should participate in as possible, because people have said that before. But should it be the responsibility of the most successful to take care of the less successful, or make sure that they don't get dragged down or forced to go inactive? If people are so concerned about the lower corps surviving, get involved. Donate, volunteer, do something that doesn't involve trying to burn the top corps at the stake. There are probably more successful uses of your time and finger strength.

Is it June yet? I'm jonesing for some shows.

That's exactly how I see it.

A better question is... would the 7 do to the Bluecoats as they did to Boston, if they arbitrarily decided to just willy nilly change their announced rules for qualification into their group ? I would say " yes ". If they can change their rules willy nilly whenever they want then.... well... they can change the rules willy nilly whenever they want based upon a Cult of Personality, ( of 2) rather than upon written rules. Can what was done to Boston be someday be done to the Bluecoats ? ( or others ? ) Sure, if you put GH and David Gibbs in position to run things as they want as opposed to a DCI Board of Directors,DCI voting membership, and an elected Executive Director as neccessary balance and where decisions are shared, and agreements are put in writing, and there is a formalized structure where trust among the organization's members is of a high degree of importance, and so forth. In DCI, the Bluecoats are an equal partner with others in WC DCI. if the Bluecoats go off with the G4- 7 outside of DCI, can the Bluecoats be afforded the same say in policies adopted as that as put forth by David Gibbs and GH ? If I'm the Bluecoats, I'd have to mull that question over very seriously for myself and for the best interests of the Bluecoats organization. I think I already have the answer to this question for myself based upon previous statements made by these two, but what actions followed afterwards.

pretty soon seeing a Great 7 show will be like going to watch the Harlem Globetrotters,.......because you can be ###### sure Jeff, Dave and George will NEVER be in the bottom of the stack of 7, so the others will get to be the equivilent of the Washington Generals.......

Edited by Gary Matczak

So, why is it the responsibility of those that are successful to take care of and babysit those that aren't? I

Nobody to my knowledge is saying that there are not winners and losers, nor that to the " victors go the spoils "and all that. You go in, you lose. Thats it.. no excuses. Nobody" babysits you" ( whatever the heck this means)

What the G7 was doing was to extort the others by in effect saying, "look we won, so we want to game the system in the future so that we advantage ourselves and position ourselves so that you will stay where you are. We'll even try to game the system so that even if you do " win " by qualifying, we'll just nullify that, and try and game it for ourselves nonetheless. To show how committed we are to this extortion scheme, we'll even pick our own hand picked judges for our shows in plum areas and send the other judges to the boondocks small towns to sleep there in a small hotel and then go out to judge ". We'll also take more dough out of the gate receipts returns. Why all this ? Because we say so and because we're "the top acts"the fans come to see and you arn't ".

This was got the other Corps upset. Its not so much the losing, its the notion that they thought ( and still think apparently ) that their little self ordained cabal can game the system to their advantage in the future based upon whats happened on the competition field the last few years. Most people respond to fair play. You win, you get the prize, you lose, you don't get what the winners get. But most fair minded people don't accept the premise that by " winning " you now get to hand pick your future judges, recommend the non suppport of other corps, strip away voting rights of those that currently have it, and attempt to take over the operation of DCI in total AND to double their own voting rights from 1 vote to 2 votes, and other extortion demands cooked up in secret behind closed doors. THESE are the things... and its process... that the other DCI Corps objected too, and rightfully so, imo. I would imagine that you have the capacity to distinquish between winning and losing... and all that both entail... and winning and losing with an attempt to game the system for the future by the winners with their own set of future competition structure and judging demands. Thats not fair play. Its frankly indefensible, imo. Mr. Warren at the Cavaliers may be along in years, but even he must be squeamish about his Corps lining up behind such a hideous scheme that used extortion and secret back room dealings and negotiations as its modus operandi. The whole G7 smells to high heaven in even the manner upon which it approached the other Corps in such a hostile, rude and disrespectful manner. Corps it once had a good relationship with... or so it appeared to the others... for upwards of several decades. This is why the Troopers, Boston, Madison, Blue Knights, and ALL the other DCI corps were justifiably disappointed to see a handful of the fellow colleague Corps act in this fashion. They breeched the trust factor and the collegiality within DCI that for years was present despite the competitive nature of the on field competition. I only wish you could appreciate that this is FAR removed from the others being asked to be " babysat " by this small group.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 7