"Tour of Champions" 2013

Because the ENTIRE program is only a few years old... and this actually is the best of the best we've got so far.

Music is not taught in schools here. There are separate music schools that operate after school and on weekends, but they are only in the cities.

The kids you see in that video are all under 18 and don't come from the music schools. They come from private run band programs set up in rural areas to teach these kids how to play. Teachers and admin staff are 100% volunteer, it's free for the kids and a few years ago, none of this existed at all.

But, I am bringing the "best of the best" to them.... to inspire them and to teach them (a group from Blue Devils and Scott Johnson is coming over in May). I'm hoping to make this an annual thing that will help raise the standard here and inspire local kids to march in the US and then come back here to teach.

Anyway, the whole purpose of this program is not to create the greatest competitive drum corps out there... it is to take kids that are growing up in some difficult circumstances, that don't have a great support infrastructure, and help give them life skills that could genuinely impact their future. This is very different than what G7 corps do... so, it is not an apt comparison.

Thank you for taking my questions as I truly meant them, and not as a poke at your efforts.

What's been done there is truly remarkable, especially the circumstances.

Kudos.

Those kids are going to love BD and ScoJo.

Now, If BD couldn't make it, and the only corps you could get to go to Lithuania was Blue Knights, would you have cancelled the idea?

Now, based on that, isn't it reasonable that most school kids in the US could be equally impressed when Oregon Crusaders play a standstill for them, too? OC's coming to our show this year; isn't it reasonable that some kids in the stands will be highly impressed with their show? Pacific Crest? Vanguard Cadets? BlueStars?

Must only the seven be the ambassadors worthy of support from DCI?

• Like 3

Thank you for taking my questions as I truly meant them, and not as a poke at your efforts.

What's been done there is truly remarkable, especially the circumstances.

Kudos.

Those kids are going to love BD and ScoJo.

Now, If BD couldn't make it, and the only corps you could get to go to Lithuania was Blue Knights, would you have cancelled the idea?

Now, based on that, isn't it reasonable that most school kids in the US could be equally impressed when Oregon Crusaders play a standstill for them, too? OC's coming to our show this year; isn't it reasonable that some kids in the stands will be highly impressed with their show? Pacific Crest? Vanguard Cadets? BlueStars?

I must say, I'm very impressed at how you wove your way through that reply and back to the original topic at hand! :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Jeesh, Dan, which is it? It was put out to demonstrate the capabilities of DCI, in such a way as to attract a bunch of interest, and it apparently succeeded in that effort. Now you want the issue to be WHY it was launched when it was? It succeeded (so far), is why it was done when it was done such a big deal? If DCI had the chance to prove what the seven might miss if they bolt, wasn't it pretty shrewd to put it out when it was? (BTW, the discussion about what the seven might miss happened months ago).

You don't surprise your other half with an adopted child in the middle of marriage counseling.

Do you know when this effort was started?

Yes.

Is it reasonable to shoot it down because it succeeded in showing what capabilities are there for ALL corps to support?

It's success so far is a fact; I still think the issue is Will the seven support it? Heck, agree to spend money on it?

Again, it is suddenly springing an adopted kid into the mix when you were already looking at a divorce.

Put the shoe on the other foot, Dan. You'd be pretty happy if your effort to prove a point played out perfectly AND the effort succeeded in getting 5000 pairs of eyeballs on drum corps, wouldn't you?

Look... I think it is a great initiative internationally... and might have been more comfortable for some if it was limited to being an international or virtual effort to start. It is just something of a distraction when the real emphasis should be on getting more fans into the stands for the next season, digging up new sponsors.... anything else to take some immediate financial pressure off, which would not only help diffuse the current situation, but would potentially give DCI a stronger hand in current discussions. Instead they just seem unfocused and not really first things first in trying to solve the current crisis. Just my opinion though.

• Like 1

Yes.

I wished to get Blue Devils involved in this, not so much because of their level of performance, but their experience with international travel and in working with groups that have very different cultural and socio-economic realities than those in the US (like in South Africa, Guatemala, etc.).

Blue Knights, for example, do not yet have that international experience and I am not sure how they might adapt their approach and methodologies for these different realities. It would be too much of a risk for me for a first go at it. Again, performance level is not the most important factor in this regard.

I have 27 nieces and nephews (yep... Utah). 7 of them are currently in High School marching band. They're a pretty good window into this world. I suggested to several of them that they march this summer, some place where most of them could all go together and that I would even help with the tour fees. Some of them are young, so I gave options for some open class corps and some more accessible world class corps. They actually refused and said they'd rather wait. A couple of them have a specific corps in mind (not Blue Devils, not Cadets), and it seems that they only want to march there or sit it out.

I don't think this is a very uncommon view, especially in situations where they kids are younger and working to earn the money themselves.

Could closer interaction and more personal engagement with some of these other groups change their mind? I bet so... but these groups are the ones that need to be assertive and proactive in these efforts, not DCI, not other corps.

Not sure what specific sort of support you are talking about here. Cash?

Was MIM actually announced? Is there anything on the schedule? It was suggested as a concept, but still only just that.

These other initiatives of DCI were fully launched without a web site.

Why do I suggest this is 1/2 baked? There was a huge momentum around this, a huge surge of interest at the launch.... but no call to action to get people to register for more info. Huge opportunity to collect data.

Only today they launched this, which is made with formstack and takes 5 minutes to put together. Why didn't they at least have this then?

Not saying the idea isn't interesting (like it more for international than for US market), but was a bit the cart before the horse in terms of launch and was rushed to be out there before a key meeting. This sort of suggests that the point of it was less about the actual initiative, but more about the politics in terms of the sense of urgency to get it out there.

in other words, it was a power play

Well that's interesting. Seeing as how the people who are on the front lines of the debate would want the likes of G7 back on the BOD. Clearly non-7 voted for them (and maybe encouraged) them to run. However, I'm sure you think this is really just a pacifying technique? Or did G7 and non-7 actually come to terms with each other in a non-leaked briefing.

keep your friends close and your enemies closer

You don't surprise your other half with an adopted child in the middle of marriage counseling.

Yes.

Again, it is suddenly springing an adopted kid into the mix when you were already looking at a divorce.

Look... I think it is a great initiative internationally... and might have been more comfortable for some if it was limited to being an international or virtual effort to start. It is just something of a distraction when the real emphasis should be on getting more fans into the stands for the next season, digging up new sponsors.... anything else to take some immediate financial pressure off, which would not only help diffuse the current situation, but would potentially give DCI a stronger hand in current discussions. Instead they just seem unfocused and not really first things first in trying to solve the current crisis. Just my opinion though.

given that you're always harping that DCI needs to spend less and have fewer employees...well Dan...who works overseas at all for DCI? Who would run it if it were truly international first? I mean, if DCI's going to run it overseas, they have to have someone to run it.

Or would that, in your eyes, be one of the 7 who do some international stuff now?

Was MIM actually announced?

Yes, it was.

Is there anything on the schedule?

Yes, there was. Of course, they had to use DCI.org, since they did not have their own website. But several shows were listed there as "Music in Motion" for awhile... then changed to TOC after the Janual.

These other initiatives of DCI were fully launched without a web site.

Maybe you cannot see it from Lithuania, but DCI definitely has a website.

Why do I suggest this is 1/2 baked? There was a huge momentum around this, a huge surge of interest at the launch.... but no call to action to get people to register for more info. Huge opportunity to collect data.

Only today they launched this, which is made with formstack and takes 5 minutes to put together. Why didn't they at least have this then?

Looks like garfield has already debunked this.

Not saying the idea isn't interesting (like it more for international than for US market), but was a bit the cart before the horse in terms of launch and was rushed to be out there before a key meeting. This sort of suggests that the point of it was less about the actual initiative, but more about the politics in terms of the sense of urgency to get it out there.

That is quite an overreach.

Are you jealous? I mean, what else would explain your reaction to the SoundSport/Drumline Battle rollout? These programs provide just the kind of scalability you would favor. They show the spark of structural creativity that you advocate. They were launched with proper coordination, proper communication, and with clearly focused marketing messages. They demonstrated many of the attributes you G7 types admire. Plus, they made it to announcement day without a leak. And yet, you continue to try and poke holes in the ideas.

• Like 1

I am calling BS on this. The upcoming SoundSport/Drumline Battle announcements were no surprise to DCI insiders. In fact, G7 people knew this was coming while they issued their email to DCI requesting a top 12 BOD - and demanding that all other DCI business stop until the "The 7" email was addressed. If the timing and motivation of any event should be questioned, it should be that "The 7" email.

Also, consider that SS/DLB were started on a shoestring DCI budget, and that it will likely be self-funding from day one, and you have to give credit for the results so far.

Yes, I know you'll say it's the follow-through, the data gathering - the execution - that DCI will screw up. But, as part of that equation, it will be interesting to see if ALL the corps directors get behind the effort and support it. I'd bet the demand is probably bigger than DCI's pipeline and bandwidth can support, so it might take dedicating some extra DCI staff to support it. Maybe hiring a person or company... Are the directors - ALL the directors - going to push the bus if there are 5000 potential new participants? Or are they going to stand aside and continue to poo-poo it?

Judging from reaction here, probably #2 (so to speak).

You are wise to bring up these points. Remember, DCI is operating under a cloud of dissention. The G7 proposal made accusations of financial trouble, insisted on cost cutting, and demanded that every cost center be scrutinized. I think it was enormously clever the way these initiatives have been devised within those constraints.

I am not surprised that reaction from the 7 shows jealousy over DCI coming up with better ideas than they have in their past three years of teleconferences. But I am surprised at how quickly 7 sympathizers abandon their own talking points in their desperation to criticize.

• Like 1