Cymbals Vs Plates

I have been wondering if anyone knows where the term "Plates" originated from or like the history?

• Like 1

I have been wondering if anyone knows where the term "Plates" originated from or like the history?

I've kind of wondered that myself. It's not many corps community people that say it, but it is significant enough that I've noticed. At least over here in CA, I've heard "cymbal line" or "cymbals" a lot more than "plates".

Duh, because a cymbal is shaped like a plate.

More academically, the Italian word for cymbals, which is frequently seen in orchestral scores, is "piatti," which also translates as "dishes" or "plates."

:rolleyes:

Fred O.

Also, the term plate is often used to refer to the part of the cymbal that opposes the hand (if you held your hand palm up, you would look like you were holding a plate). For example, if you're standing at set position, someone standing in front of you shouldn't be able to see the plates of the cymbals, because they should be parallel.

plates, lids, steel slammers, legal weapons....all the same

:tongue:/>