Price of gas

barigirl, thanks for your response.

You touched upon what the response SHOULD be for all concerned. That is, if the cost of viewing drum corps in person rises, and that becomes a concern , one should respond by prioritizing, shifting funds for purchases, etc. Value is truly an individual thing. My point is, these are difficult economic times. Fans of our activity need to understand adjustments will be made.

Yes, Jeff, Downingtown should have been included on my list. Regardless, it all depends upon other options available to me that date!

smile.gif

And if the cost of DC doesn't rise but

1) other costs rise

and/or

2) disposible income goes down

we've got the same problem

And gotta +1 for anyone who posts about prioritizing that's been beat into my rock like head since I was a yungin'.

And if the cost of DC doesn't rise but

1) other costs rise

and/or

2) disposible income goes down

we've got the same problem

And gotta +1 for anyone who posts about prioritizing that's been beat into my rock like head since I was a yungin'.

Thanks, Jim!

You know, there should be NO shame in admitting "this is just something I don't want to do anymore," for whatever reason. But, if folks don't have enough courage to state their reason, no one learns anything, do they?

Gas prices have gone from $2.99 to $3.69 here in Dubuque. That's a 23% increase.

Edited by AlanAndreasen

Thanks, Jim!

You know, there should be NO shame in admitting "this is just something I don't want to do anymore," for whatever reason. But, if folks don't have enough courage to state their reason, no one learns anything, do they?

Last few years I've been dealing with the "I want to be more involved with DC but more important things in real life have hit big time". No shame in saying "it ain't that important right now" either.

okay so,.........say you are rolling 4 buses,...2 semis,.........2 RVs,.....a souvie rig,......and 3 cars,........and you are covering 200 miles on this nights run,........,....anyone have a idea on how much fuel that is?

The buses and semis likely get around 5 mpg, the rv's (class C) likely get 8 or 9 mpg, same with the souvie rig (likely a van pulling a trailer), and the cars get, what, 20 mpg?

By my math, that's 40 gallons for the big rigs, 23 or so gallons each for the RV's and souvies and about 13 gallons for each of the three cars.

At $4.20 for diesel, that's 240 gal at $1008, 69 gal at $3,80 for $262, and 39 gal at 3.80 for $148.

Total $1,418.

EDIT: BTW, I've seen lots of corps roll into housing at 3:00am. Most roll 3 buses, 2 semis, 1 RV, and 1 van pulling a souvie trailer. Cost for that rolling stock is closer to $1100.

Open class finalist corps earn about $1,300 per show, non-top WC corps earn about $2,000, and WC finalist corps earn closer to $3,000 per show. And these are local TEP show rates. Late season they all earn substantially more.

Besides putting a few-hundred dollars in their pockets after travel costs, corps get overnight accommodations and practice time.

Edited by garfield

Every corps should ditch their equipment truck and tow smaller trailers behind each bus.