Revisiting Roosevelt

i also did the 72 DCA show there. but i also did the 1971 dream. i watched the skyliners from the front about the 35 yrad line and they blew the skin right off my face. for me that was the best show sky ever did. we did a good show but after seeing them i knew we were sunk.

In my opinion one of the greatest performances ever, by any corps at any time!!! 71 Sky I've said it before blew the house down. My head was throbbing when they were done.

If we're strolling down memory lane how bout the infamouse Wet Dream in 79. Truly on of the funniest performances ever by Bridgemen and Sunrisers.

• Like 1

In my opinion one of the greatest performances ever, by any corps at any time!!! 71 Sky I've said it before blew the house down. My head was throbbing when they were done.

If we're strolling down memory lane how bout the infamouse Wet Dream in 79. Truly on of the funniest performances ever by Bridgemen and Sunrisers.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I know this has been talked about many times before...

but another part of the "Roosevelt Legacy" was the 1972 DCA Championships held there.

I was a 14-year-old kid watching those Finals that year... somehow, I and a buddy of mine from the Manville Crusaders managed to get great seats (just under the overhang, not too far off the 50). And I was absolutely blown away by the power, emotion and showmanship of the senior corps that night.

What a great, great show. IMO, still the best Top 5 in DCA history. :thumbup:

I usually post this pic of the iconic Roosevelt scoreboard at Halloween time:

DrumCorpsdied.jpg

now that is sad. it brakes my heart.

• Like 1

I usually post this pic of the iconic Roosevelt scoreboard at Halloween time:

DrumCorpsdied.jpg

Amazing how that clock face held up compared to the rest. Must have been some strong glass while it lasted.

Too bad it's all gone, would've made a great shot for a horror movie.

What's also amazing is how the clock numbers 3 and 9 are switched and the lettering at the bottom of the board is fine.

Photoshopped, pranksters or Deamons at work?

Edited by gsksun4

What's also amazing is how the clock numbers 3 and 9 are switched and the lettering at the bottom of the board is fine.

Also has a zero on the top. It's a countdown clock which ran . . . . umm, clockwise [looks like they didn't have 15 min. quarters in Joisey Football]

This scoreboard appears as a backdrop in numerous classic Moe Knox photos. Including one in the WDCHOF scrapbook, of a young rosy-cheeked Sunriser soloist who now calls himself Iron Lips.

"...a young rosy-cheeked Sunriser soloist who now calls himself Iron Lips."

Actually, it was Uncle Nicky who first called me that in 1966, and I've been falling short of living up to it ever since. I use it here to put a smile on the faces of those who know the derivation.

If you ever played a solo at Roosevelt, somebody gave you a nickname. There were some great ones long before I could find low C: Bucky, Ta-ta-ka Tommy, Buzzy, Rip, Jimmy D, the Cisco Kid...etc. Later came the likes of Screech, Pee Wee, Grass, Bugs, China, Tinkerbell...all of them (and countless others) left their musical DNA all over that stadium.

It doesn't matter that it has fallen into disrepair and been paved over. It's still a shrine.

• Like 1

sad that all we have are those wonderful memories........and that todays corps will never have that feeling of passing the clock when entering thru the laft field-center gate

Guido

• Like 3

sad that all we have are those wonderful memories........and that todays corps will never have that feeling of passing the clock when entering thru the laft field-center gate

Guido

it was a show in that stadium that when you went there and competed and stood on retreat you knew it was the big time. it had that big time show feeling.

• Like 2