TOC/G7 Related Discussion

Is there any way of changes people's minds about this kind of stuff? People vehemently against anything related to the TOC won't ever change their minds and support it, and those in favor of it will continue to support it. Since all of this is conjecture, would it be smarter to wait until summer to see how these TOC shows go, or get the torches now? I'm going to err on the safe side and see how these shows go. They tested the format in 2011 and 2012, and the world didn't burn down. I have an odd feeling we'll see a similar result this year.... but then again I'm an optimist

right,.............DCI should control finals ticket sales and equally distribute the proceeds instead of allowing a greedy group of self proclaimed champions tell the whole how to runs things and then take all the money,........

We're talking about what you're saying here....

Let's say you're Pioneer, and you have people that will bust ### and sell tickets through your org. It is an opportunity for your organization to individually generate revenue that is directly proportionate to your ability to contribute, that has nothing to do with the scoring on the field. Why do you think it make sense for DCI to be competing against individual corps for this revenue, particularly when you don't like the way DCI distributes money in the first place?

This idea of equal distribution of revenue is fantasy. There has never been a case in human history where equal distribution of revenues, regardless of level of contribution, has been sustainable. DCI is unsustainable already, the only was to correct this is to go in exactly the opposite direction.

BTW - TOC is a poor moniker and not one that these corps chose themselves (though I think Music in Motion is also pretty weak), but one that DCI slapped on. They punted.

• Like 2

You don't understand statistics, do you? Yes, every corps has an equal chance of winning. Is it actually possible? No, but on paper, every corps has an equal chance of winning.

Even in statistics, you learn to account for the probability of an event occurring. The probability of the Blue Devils C corps winning is clearly not the same as the probability of the Blue Devils A corps winning.

DCI exists for the purpose of supporting corps, yet they end up competing for revenue against individual corps with Friends of DCI. It makes little sense.

You make little sense. How is DCI competing against corps, when their profits go to the corps anyway?

People seem to continue to be confused and think the situation is all about a larger share of revenue from individual shows. It isn't.

Why do you think it make sense for DCI to be competing against individual corps for this revenue, particularly when you don't like the way DCI distributes money in the first place?

These two statements seem contradictory.

• Like 2

Well, if they don't pay what is quoted on the corps website, we end up with a Teal Sound or Revolution situation, where they can't financially get through tour because of lack of funds. And does anyone want that to happen again?

Those were cases of mismanagement. Properly managed corps have shown themselves capable of balancing a budget while offering discounted tour fees to selected members.

• Like 1

Those were cases of mismanagement. Properly managed corps have shown themselves capable of balancing a budget while offering discounted tour fees to selected members.

A lot of those discounted rates are made possible through alumni donations and other fundraising programs. There are more than a few corps as well that used to do reduced tuition for returning members, but had to cut it because of rising costs and the bad economy. Better to raise rates than have to go inactive.

Is there any way of changes people's minds about this kind of stuff? People vehemently against anything related to the TOC won't ever change their minds and support it,...

I am not 'vehemently' against anything related to the TOC; allow me to point out where you are incorrect in this contention:

Make the Tour of Champions only the corps which have been actual DCI Champions and won rings (include Scouts and axe Crown/Bluecoats) and I will be fine with that format. What I am 'vehemently' against fsubone is a group of seven corps directors, irrespective of previous placement status, ganging together claiming that their corps alone are 'the act' within DCI; being cry-babies by threatening through implication to leave DCI via MiM unless, of course, they get their way.

What is so extremely surreal about this G7/ToC situation is that normally it is the downtrodden who claim they are getting shafted by the successful; but in this situation it is the corps which have the majority of rings, the majority of the capital, the majority of the spoils of winning, claiming that they are getting shafted by the downtrodden who are, in the opinion of the G7, siphoning off DCI resources which the elite claim is theirs.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 5

You make little sense. How is DCI competing against corps, when their profits go to the corps anyway?

There is a big difference between revenue earned by a corps through direct ticket sales for major shows vs. what comes to that same corps after DCI overhead and other distributions.