TOC/G7 Related Discussion

He has made his money from bottom feeding. His market ain't exactly brain scientists or rocket surgeons.

No thanks.

but he's set for life. aint quite so dumb now is he?

• Like 3

Off the top of my head.... Wayne's World???

correct!

a tune idolized by kids 40 years after it's release

Lower the cost of tickets.

Generate additional revenue from non-drum corps sources (i've elaborated on this loads of times)... in order to return more money to the corps... with the goal of lowering the cost of participation... to get more talented kids participating that is sitting on the sidelines for financial reasons.... to increase the parity of corps top to bottom... to make it more competitive... to increase the level of interest.

Also, it is not about making more money from the gate, it is about revenue diversification. I've gone on and on about this. There is nothing new to say here.

wait...where's your part about cutting corps that don't live up to your standards?

• Like 1

I certainly agree with lowering the cost of tickets! But, so far, I don't have a clear vision of the non-drum corps revenue sources that remain to you, untapped. I mean, drum corps presents for sale what it does. Unfortunately, not enough people are buying it. They're not stupid. It's just that what we now offer doesn't work for enough of them.

Are you saying typewriters can still be sold, but as something else, and to someone else? Sold in a different way, if only typewriter merchants understood how? With all due respect, danielray, you have NOT been specific enough for me. I have spent a career listening to theoretical solutions to various education problems. Sadly, the proposed solutions were never really specific enough for me to discover something new, nor demonstrated in actual practice. I had VERY little patience with most consultants who presented to me. Not enough meat on their bones.

I think I've explained this a billon times...

It is entirely pointless that DCI wastes all of its capabilities and potential on just running drum corps shows.

DCI should own a year round highly-diverse event and media production company. Stadium events (concert tours, monster truck pulls, whatever), corporate events, corporate media production and so on. Use those capabilities to generate 5 times more revenues, with 3 times more delivered back to the corps.

DCI is like this thirsty village with only one bucket and only one well... that spends so much of their time and energy figure out how to ration their limited water supply... rather than digging new wells or exploring new sources.

I think I've explained this a billon times...

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times...Don't exaggerate.

It is entirely pointless that DCI wastes all of its capabilities and potential on just running drum corps shows.

More events = more staff. Yet we hear from some camps that office staff needs to be trimmed. I've been in the office enough times to know people aren't sitting around playing video games while waiting for the season to start. What they've already got on their plate is a full-time job. I'd rather see them do one thing excellent than have a mission creep that spreads thin their talents and knowledge. There's a reason the NCAA doesn't run NASCAR races and why NASCAR isn't handling this weekend's college basketball events...and why the NFL isn't running drum corps shows despite the fact that DCI uses some of their venues.

DCI should own a year round highly-diverse event and media production company. Stadium events (concert tours, monster truck pulls, whatever), corporate events, corporate media production and so on. Use those capabilities to generate 5 times more revenues, with 3 times more delivered back to the corps.

And wouldn't monster truck pulls bring in fans of Jimmy Buffett fans? You've already expressed what you think of his music, so why would we want to encourage that mindset? However, instead of having two guys pivoting around a baseball bat and trying to run to a gong to hit it during breaks in the World Championships action, perhaps we could bring in a couple souped-up Ford pick-ups to try to tow each other across the 50-yard line. I'd love to hear Brandt Crocker announce that. We could even sponsor one of the trucks and have it named "Absurdity," just to listen for how he pronounces it.

DCI is like this thirsty village with only one bucket and only one well... that spends so much of their time and energy figure out how to ration their limited water supply... rather than digging new wells or exploring new sources.

Somehow, I miss the connection between drum corps—a First World recreational activity—and elemental Third World issues. DCI's smart enough to buy another bucket.

Do you stay up nights thinking up this stuff?

• Like 4

More events = more staff. Yet we hear from some camps that office staff needs to be trimmed. I've been in the office enough times to know people aren't sitting around playing video games while waiting for the season to start. What they've already got on their plate is a full-time job. I'd rather see them do one thing excellent than have a mission creep that spreads thin their talents and knowledge. There's a reason the NCAA doesn't run NASCAR races and why NASCAR isn't handling this weekend's college basketball events...and why the NFL isn't running drum corps shows despite the fact that DCI uses some of their venues.

There isn't enough money in drum corps ticket sales and media purchases to sustain drum corps. You either cut spending (which will kill it.. as there is no distinction between local marching bands) or you look for other sources of revenue.

To do this, you hire the best of the best out there in the events business. Hired guns who know how to make money... not people who know drum corps... and get them running all kinds of events, including drum corps events.

And wouldn't monster truck pulls bring in fans of Jimmy Buffett fans? You've already expressed what you think of his music, so why would we want to encourage that mindset? However, instead of having two guys pivoting around a baseball bat and trying to run to a gong to hit it during breaks in the World Championships action, perhaps we could bring in a couple souped-up Ford pick-ups to try to tow each other across the 50-yard line. I'd love to hear Brandt Crocker announce that. We could even sponsor one of the trucks and have it named "Absurdity," just to listen for how he pronounces it.

Again, there is no need to mix any of this with drum corps... it is just the #### that pays for it.

DCI's smart enough to buy another bucket.

You buy another bucket.... you still have only one well. You need to dig more, explore more... diversify.

• Like 2

I realize that no one here takes the reputation ratings of posters too seriously, but it's remarkable to see than DanRay has 1,159,189 negative ratings.

Based on Stu's tag line of negative ratings actually meaning support of his ideas, he and Dan should be best friends. Yet, we know that they butt heads on just about everything.

Even if one believes ratings are mostly irrelevant, they can also be illustrative.

Edit: I'll add that, of course, Dan knows this fact and, yet, he's still preaching the same solutions he's been touting for as long as I've been reading DCP. He's kind of the crazy grandfather that sits in the corner drooling, and mumbling that the British are coming. He doesn't care that few listen or believe him.

Edited by garfield

I realize that no one here takes the reputation ratings of posters too seriously, but it's remarkable to see than DanRay has 1,159,189 negative ratings.

Based on Stu's tag line of negative ratings actually meaning support of his ideas, he and Dan should be best friends. Yet, we know that they butt heads on just about everything.

Even if one believes ratings are mostly irrelevant, they can also be illustrative

muahaha.gif

I believe basic music formulas that resonate to nearly everyone are out there to be included. We need more of those things. To me, there's a lot of junk coming out of today's corps. Junk of too limited appeal.

Drum corps should not appeal to everyone. It should focus more on appealing to youth. Needs to have a bit more of an edge, be a bit riskier.

The whole Marching Music Day petition is so ####### backwards, I don't even know where to start.

Kids don't flock to something that is accepted and endorsed by establishment... that is the exact opposite of cool.

What is cool... is playing the establishment... punking them... like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhpyxoOeYGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVCCMG-JoQ

If you want to get kids interested in this thing... recognition by the government and establishment figures is EXACTLY the wrong way to go. This couldn't be more off the mark if you tried.

Drum corps should not appeal to everyone. It should focus more on appealing to youth. Needs to have a bit more of an edge, be a bit riskier.

The whole Marching Music Day petition is so ####### backwards, I don't even know where to start.

Kids don't flock to something that is accepted and endorsed by establishment... that is the exact opposite of cool.

What is cool... is playing the establishment... punking them... like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhpyxoOeYGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvVCCMG-JoQ

If you want to get kids interested in this thing... recognition by the government and establishment figures is EXACTLY the wrong way to go. This couldn't be more off the mark if you tried.

If you are saying here that you'd like to hear a little bit more more music from the Corps from the likes of the unconventional Jim Morrison from the 60's than the conventional Felix Mendelssohn, then you might be onto something.

As for your liking of things that are rebellious, you might enjoy the non G7 show this year of the Crossmen entitled " Protest! "

Edited by BRASSO