TOC/G7 Related Discussion

I like the scissors. Drum corps needs more scissors.

But only with more hip costuming. Like this :

http://www.deppimpact.com/gallery/albums/pub_es/edward359.jpg

Edited by BRASSO

This morning you stated that it was important for DCI to follow the lead of " WGI ".

This afternoon you recommend that DCI's way forward is " to lead with drumming ".

All of these things.

There is not one magic bullet strategy, but many things that could be done simultaneously.

Part of the problem is that there are two basic problems that end up getting conflated.

1. Increase bodies in the stands

2. More participants & corps & shows

Unfortunately there are many other smaller, but interrelated problems such as budget concerns, participation costs, appeal of product, marketing, etc.

At this point, however, I think the critical issue is more bodies in the stands. I think this requires a serious review of the products appeal to non-fanatics or alumni seeing as how there will be far less alumni in the very near future. The activity cannot continue to become more insular, emphasizing obscure classical or symphonic pieces with little melody or groove. Only the true believers like that and those folks are killing the activity.

• Like 3

Uniforms are kind of outdated. Shifting more to costuming could help some. Something more this direction...

Needs to be more of a sense of style.

I have to admit that for awhile I thought you were serious until you posted those rejects from the "Dr. Who" Christmas special.

• Like 2

I have to admit that for awhile I thought you were serious until you posted those rejects from the "Dr. Who" Christmas special.

Can't figure out if they're even more geeky.... or more like the Mummers.....

IMO - a more "edgy" MB show is still..... a MB show.....

I realize that no one here takes the reputation ratings of posters too seriously, but it's remarkable to see than DanRay has 1,159,189 negative ratings.

Based on Stu's tag line of negative ratings actually meaning support of his ideas, he and Dan should be best friends. Yet, we know that they butt heads on just about everything.

Even if one believes ratings are mostly irrelevant, they can also be illustrative.

Edit: I'll add that, of course, Dan knows this fact and, yet, he's still preaching the same solutions he's been touting for as long as I've been reading DCP. He's kind of the crazy grandfather that sits in the corner drooling, and mumbling that the British are coming. He doesn't care that few listen or believe him.

The real question is why would one of the moderators take it upon themselves to modify his account like that. I mean he's controversial and usually so far off base it's not even funny but still - why?

• Like 2

The real question is why would one of the moderators take it upon themselves to modify his account like that. I mean he's controversial and usually so far off base it's not even funny but still - why?

I dunno,............his negative rating seems kinda low,...........it is ironic that he is organizing and teaching a marching bad for kids, while coming here and being as politely nasty and insulting as he can be,.........I hope he doesn't get out in front of the kids using the same demeanor,..........

• Like 8

I dunno,............his negative rating seems kinda low,...........it is ironic that he is organizing and teaching a marching bad for kids, while coming here and being as politely nasty and insulting as he can be,.........I hope he doesn't get out in front of the kids using the same demeanor,..........

Or passing his opinions as facts to people who would not know any better.

• Like 5

Part of the problem is that there are two basic problems that end up getting conflated.

1. Increase bodies in the stands

2. More participants & corps & shows

Unfortunately there are many other smaller, but interrelated problems such as budget concerns, participation costs, appeal of product, marketing, etc.

At this point, however, I think the critical issue is more bodies in the stands. I think this requires a serious review of the products appeal to non-fanatics or alumni seeing as how there will be far less alumni in the very near future. The activity cannot continue to become more insular, emphasizing obscure classical or symphonic pieces with little melody or groove. Only the true believers like that and those folks are killing the activity.

pearlsnaredrummer,

Well-stated. The bottom line IS more people choosing to purchase this product over all the other options available in today's world. Many effective and satisfying alternatives that can be enjoyed from the comfort of home! Of course, there's our current economy to contend with. We can't do much to control that. We can, however, control the desirability of our product. Changes are needed. As for sponsors? Well, sponsors want to associate themselves with whatever is "hot" to the biggest amount of consumers. That usually means viewers and purchasers, NUMBERS, if you will.

One such change would be a pay-per-view Finals option. I'd buy that, for sure. My curiosity will always be strong, even if current programming is lacking to me. I've scaled back how much time and effort I expend to view drum corps in person. Some of that is the aging process, for sure.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 5