TOC/G7 Related Discussion

Sorry, Boo. No ill intent was there against your Nana (nice ride though).

We had a Rambler, but Grandma insisted on calling it a Nash, as that was her car when she was still driving. All the neighborhood kids knew her as "Nana" and would come to her with scrapes and bruises and ask, "Nana, can you fix me?" I don't know how she became the neighborhood doctor, but I witnessed that more than once. Perhaps because she was usually home and had a full supply of bandages, ointments and tinctures. I can't see someone doing that today in our litigious society.

Of course, if any of our grandparents hadn't met, we wouldn't be here. However, it hit me even harder when she told me that when she was awaiting processing at Ellis Island as a four-year-old with her parents, she strayed away a bit and a stranger came up to her and said he could take her to where there was lots of candy. She was from a poor family and the thought of candy after a long trans-Atlantic cruise appealed to her young mind. She was being led away when her father found her and chased off the stranger.

Okay...now I have to tie this into the G7 discussion. To some, it seems that corps have been led away from the rest of the drum corps family with the promises of candy; lots and lots of attractive green candy that they prefer to keep in their trick-and-treat baskets. Others among the hoi poloi have tried pulling them back, but they've continued to walk towards the door. What happens when they walk through the door is unclear. Then, in August, all will gather in the Trump-less city of Indianapolis and go about as if everything is normal...which, in a way, it will be.

For now, all the corps will still meet on our own Ellis Island, a place that welcomes all and excludes none and invites the tired, the poor and all the wretched refuse of our teaming shore to make themselves at home. Perhaps some day, some on the island will spy the beckoning of Trump International Hotel & Tower across the waves and will set up residence in more exclusive digs. The others, recognizing that Ellis Island is attached to New Jersey by a bridge, will walk across it and order burgers and chicken fingers at the Café Skylines of the nearby Liberty Science Center, well within walking distance.

Edited by Michael Boo

Michael,

My first car was a green, four door '61 Rambler. It was 8 years old and cost me $125. Gee, how I loved that push-button transmission! It took me to drum corps practice, not in style, but I still got there! As a bit of a respite, Michael, what was your first car? I'll guess a '49 DeSoto.

Anyone else care to reveal their own first car experience?

Edited by Fred Windish

Michael,

My first car was a green, four door '61 Rambler. It was 8 years old and cost me $125. Gee, how I loved that push-button transmission! It took me to drum corps practice, not in style, but I still got there! As a bit of a respite, Michael, what was your first car? I'll guess a '49 DeSoto.

My first car was a used 1971 Chrysler Newport that looked like this. My parents got if for me when I was a senior in college. Mom wanted a car she thought was big enough to be safe in Chicago. The thing was a tank...there was 12 inches of dead space between the grill and the radiator, just to make the hood longer. It's primary feature was its uncanny ability to catch fire in unique and creative ways while driving, and to shove the radiator fan through the radiator at will. (The gas filter, made of metal, would rust and then drip gasoline right atop the hot manifold.)

I'm guessing lots of DCP'ers have such stories about their first cars...and if enough share them, perhaps this thread will find its true destiny.

I got my driver's license in 1975... my first car was a 1966 VW Beetle that my brother had owned. Sunroof and everything. LOL. It was a pretty cool car.

My first car was a used 1971 Chrysler Newport that looked like this. My parents got if for me when I was a senior in college. Mom wanted a car she thought was big enough to be safe in Chicago. The thing was a tank...there was 12 inches of dead space between the grill and the radiator, just to make the hood longer. It's primary feature was its uncanny ability to catch fire in unique and creative ways while driving, and to shove the radiator fan through the radiator at will. (The gas filter, made of metal, would rust and then drip gasoline right atop the hot manifold.)

I'm guessing lots of DCP'ers have such stories about their first cars...and if enough share them, perhaps this thread will find its true destiny.

Here's one that might somehow tie back into the thread...

Mine was a 1980 Honda Prelude... which I got the week before I turned 16. Drove it out California to audition for SCV, but still didn't have a license, only a permit (16th birthday was in the middle of camp)... so, took turns driving with my mother.

On the way back my mother was trying to sleep, but apparently had a very uncomfortable bra... so took it off (through that weird David Copperfield #### that women do... pulling it out the sleeve) and threw it in the glove box.

The next day after I was back, I got my license and then went to take my girlfriend out for a drive. She started to get nosy and opened the glove box and found this bra. Either way... it was a losing situation... as it would be far too weird to say it belonged to my mother. She freaked out... thinking that I was with some other girl.

So, turned 16, got a new car, got cut from SCV, broke up with a girlfriend... all in a matter of a 3 days. :)

Edited by danielray
  • Like 1

Started a whole new thread. Sounds a little silly, but I really would like to read some of the other experiences. In the end, despite what we post here, we really do like each other, and always will!

Mine was a 1980 Honda Prelude... which I got the week before I turned 16. Drove it out California to audition for SCV, but still didn't have a license, only a permit (16th birthday was in the middle of camp)... so, took turns driving with my mother.

On the way back my mother was trying to sleep, but apparently had a very uncomfortable bra... so took it off (through that weird David Copperfield #### that women do... pulling it out the sleeve) and threw it in the glove box.

The next day after I was back, I got my license and then went to take my girlfriend out for a drive. She started to get nosy and opened the glove box and found this bra. Either way... it was a losing situation... as it would be far too weird to say it belonged to my mother. She freaked out... thinking that I was with some other girl.

So, turned 16, got a new car, got cut from SCV, broke up with a girlfriend... all in a matter of a 3 days. :)

Hilarious!

That's a funny story.

And, despite all of that, here you are.

Rambler-56.png

Hey.... My ancestors had a Hudson dealership that became a Rambler dealership that became an AMC dealership.... (if you know the companies history it makes sense).

Sis is a member of Rambler Club of America with a 65 Classic and whole family belongs to Antique Auto Club of America.

Moving rest to new thread..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Be careful with Ream. His wife's a sweetheart, though. What was she thinking?

And his dad is so nice.... what happened.... :tongue::devil:

Oh great I'll see him next week at York.... :ph34r:

With that story, your outlook on things is beginning to make sense. :tongue: