TOC/G7 Related Discussion

When it's your biggest funding source, you try and protect it. I don't think you could find any company out there that doesn't do that. Would you rather they had let them build a new bingo hall, and the most successful corps in DCI fold? Probably not. Last I checked, more corps folding isn't a good thing.

Yes! Because I believe in the free market system. BD should not have an exclusive monopoly right to bingo revenue.

• Like 1

Not nearly as many "jump from your seat moments" as there once were.

Maybe, but many of those those "jump from your seat moments", if played that way today, would generate an entirely different reaction in most cases. Especially from the younger crowd.

• Like 1

Yes! Because I believe in the free market system. BD should not have an exclusive monopoly right to bingo revenue.

Of course not. But they shouldn't be handicapped in favor of special rules for Indian bingo either.

• Like 1

I do have 3 children in a Big Ten college marching band. They tell me basically zero kids in that band are music majors. Is this typical of other university marching bands? I don't know. Maybe. And there are probably a few exceptions too. But, DCI seems to appeal more and more to music majors.

And high school and college football appeals most to those who have the physical capabilities to play football.

The cut and snippet style of some drum corps shows has nothing to do with "music majors" and everything to do with WGI, where that type of slapping together of musical snippets has been part of the landscape since the late 70s. I hate it too, but not because the source material is too highbrow. I hate it because it demonstrates that the musical designers have allowed their guard and visual staffs to convince them that inherently bad musical construction is acceptable. And the judging community seems only too willing to go along with it.

So don't blame disconnected programming on "music majors" - we need kids who are more serious than not about their instruments in order to achieve what the corps achieve. Blame it on the guard staffs. cool.gif

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

MikeD, I agree with you (wow, what has happened to my world??!?).

Anyway, I don't have large quantities of data, but I do have 3 children in a Big Ten college marching band. They tell me basically zero kids in that band are music majors. Is this typical of other university marching bands? I don't know. Maybe. And there are probably a few exceptions too. But, DCI seems to appeal more and more to music majors. This sets up a disconnect, then. Is it possible DCI's college target needs to be the symphony band students (i.e. the music majors), instead of the marching band members?

This tells me all I need to know about U of M music program.

:tongue:/>

In fact, I'd say this is true of nearly all Big Ten schools.

I'd guess about 50% of TBDBITL's members are music majors. The rest are pre-med.

(sorry, I couldn't resist. Back to the argument)

This tells me all I need to know about U of M music program.

:tongue:/>/>

In fact, I'd say this is true of nearly all Big Ten schools.

I'd guess about 50% of TBDBITL's members are music majors. The rest are pre-med.

(sorry, I couldn't resist. Back to the argument)

Oh, Garfield. My kids don't go to Michigan. I don't have the money to afford the out-of-state tuition!

They're at UW-Madison.

BTW, do the band kids a tOSU get free tats too? Or is that just the football players?

• Like 1

I'm curious, from those who say that DCI is going to implode at the end of this season...

What, exactly, must happen in order to prevent the expected implosion?

What solution would prompt the Seven to abandon their plan to bolt and continue developing MiM?

BTW, do the band kids a tOSU get free tats too? Or is that just the football players?

Pffffttt. Funny, aren't you? Ha-ha.

Only the tuba players get tats, and nobody screws with the tuba players.

And the director of nearly 30 years recently retired.

That's right! He left on his own accord! Imagine that!

however comma.....scholastic programs keep getting slashed. kids have fickle tastes, so the odds of keeping them for life is small. Drum corps has already suffered by churning more than it brings in. It can't keep doing that

With 25,000+ HS in the US, plus the large number of colleges and universities with band programs, I don't see the cutting have all that much impact. Of course, in and of itself it is an awful thing, but I just don't see it having an impact in the context of this thread.

Will kids stay and become the next legacy fans? Some will...most will not, but what you call 'churning' is really the turnover as kids move on and new ones take their place...and its not a negative at all.