Parade piles

I once watched a little kid run right into the back of the inside of one of our tenor players cut away drums. Our tenor player even tried to avoid the kid but he still managed to ssmack his face right into the inside of the drum shell. That kid dropped like a bag of rocks. I was on 1st bass and was right bhind this as it happened. Couldn't keep a straight face the rest of the parade.

My sister marched bass and in one July 4 parade she hit a pot hole and did a complete somersault right over her drum. Staff took care of her straight away but I wasn't aware until the end of the parade although I seem to recall thinking the street beat sounded different. We were/are both short so I wouldn't have been able to see over the snare line to see who was missing and she could barely see over her drum.

This might have happened the same day as the 'up close and personal' episode. Back in those days it wasn't unheard of to do two or three July 4 parades in one day - good money makers for us but it really took a toll on everyone, especially if it was hot. For the record, and to not stray off the theme of the thread, there were always lots of 'piles' to avoid in those parades.

Kelly

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister marched bass and in one July 4 parade she hit a pot hole and did a complete somersault right over her drum. Staff took care of her straight away but I wasn't aware until the end of the parade although I seem to recall thinking the street beat sounded different. We were/are both short so I wouldn't have been able to see over the snare line to see who was missing and she could barely see over her drum.

This might have happened the same day as the 'up close and personal' episode. Back in those days it wasn't unheard of to do two or three July 4 parades in one day - good money makers for us but it really took a toll on everyone, especially if it was hot. For the record, and to not stray off the theme of the thread, there were always lots of 'piles' to avoid in those parades.

Kelly

I had a similar thing happen to me coming on the field at a show in 1987. I was on 4th bass and ran smack dab into the small pole that this stadium had for the electrical or headphone outlet for the coaches just off the back sidelines. Went straight down onto the ground on top of my drum. It was quite a shock when I hit the ground and then I had to get up and do a show. Not too fun I'm telling you.