Geneva Appleknockers 1960 Repertoire

I would like to know the repertoire for the 1960 Appleknockers. The names of several songs have me baffled. I would have posted an audio clip of one particular song, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Email me, please.

Edited by tmarquis

I would like to know the repertoire for the 1960 Appleknockers. The names of several songs have me baffled. I would have posted an audio clip of one particular song, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

In my files I have:

Up A Lazy River, Apple Blossom Time, Jezebel, Basin Street Blues, Floating Down To Cotton Town, Take My Sugar To Tea,

Bill Bailey, Gonna Live Till I Die, Invercargill, America The Beautiful, El Cumbanchero

Edited by Northern Thunder

If I heard the recording I'd probably remember the tunes, but

If you email me... I'll forward your email to Dr. Jack Bullock who did the arrangements and Ken "Ace" Peterson who played the solos... I'm sure one of them would be glad to help

oh and one of them might have seen this if you had posted in DCA/senior corps historical instead of DCI historical... as Geneva was senior in 1960...

Tom Peashey

tpeashey@rochester.rr.com

Edited by TomPeashey

Wow, all that in a 10 minute show! Those were the days!

This appears to be the 1959 repertoire. The 1960 recording I have is from the 1960 American Legion Nationals and it is different.

Their 1959 rep included:

Apple Blossom Time, Basin Street Blues, Jezebel, The Man I Love, Italian Street Song, St. Louis Blues, One More For The Road,

You'll Never Know, This Is My Lucky Day, Shine, Thanks For The Memory, Green Eyes, Basin Street Blues, Heartaches, This Is My Country, I Know That You Know

Their 1959 rep included:

Apple Blossom Time, Basin Street Blues, Jezebel, The Man I Love, Italian Street Song, St. Louis Blues, One More For The Road,

You'll Never Know, This Is My Lucky Day, Shine, Thanks For The Memory, Green Eyes, Basin Street Blues, Heartaches, This Is My Country, I Know That You Know

That was a lot of music, for any era. The Appleknockers Senior corps was always a unit that featured recognizable music, and placed their emphasis on entertaining the crowd. They were marvelous entertainers. One might compare them with the Velvet Knights in the Bobby Hoffman era. I first saw them in 1954 at the AL Nationals in Washington DC. They knocked me right on my seat. Happy music, great soloists, and the old French Foreign Legion shakos. Wow! What a memory!

That was a lot of music, for any era. The Appleknockers Senior corps was always a unit that featured recognizable music, and placed their emphasis on entertaining the crowd. They were marvelous entertainers. One might compare them with the Velvet Knights in the Bobby Hoffman era. I first saw them in 1954 at the AL Nationals in Washington DC. They knocked me right on my seat. Happy music, great soloists, and the old French Foreign Legion shakos. Wow! What a memory!

The Appleknockers also performed winter concerts in the late 50's into the early 60's. They frequently had more horn players during the winter concerts than they would have on the field. There are several concert albums from various years - '58, '61 and the Evening with the Corps recording from '64. They would play sit-down style with a trap drummer and also featured french-horn player Don Phipps on Upright Bass on several numbers. Jack Bullock arranged most of their music which featured a lot of Gerswin, show tunes and popular hits of the day. They also featured the first contrabass designed by Jack Bullock and developed by the Royce-Whaley corp. around 1958 which was too heavy to carry on the field (not an over the shoulder model) but was used in concert and can be heard on the recordings. Apple Blossom Time was their theme song and closer. Ace Petersen and Hardy Carrasas (sp?) were their principal soloists along with Don Phipps and others.