Our venues and stadiums

I'm going to get in trouble here - the Dream was a great show - Roosevelt Stadium itself was a dump, held together by pigeon poop. The angles were wrong, the field was all wrong - it was an awful stadium - and as close to a Cathedral as the early activity ever had. How such amazing shows happened in that dump I'll never understand, but they did. Hurricanes in the rain in 1974, Bayonne without pants in 1979, Archie's return to the field in 1978, and for me - Blessed Sac any year, but listening to "Free Again" bouncing off the walls, and 1975 Skyliners tearing the place up.

My own personal favorite - Franklin Field in Philadelphia. My first ever DCI show in 1975 (I was overseas for the early DCI years) and 1981 with the Hurricanes. Love that stadium. Enjoyed judging Cavalcade of Bands there years later.

I hope I didn't cause anyone a stroke or a coronary bashing Roosevelt Stadium - hated the building - loved the shows.

Camp Randall is pretty spiritual too, as is Whitewater. Throw in Birmingham Alabama.

Man we've had quite a ride, huh?

I judge venues primarily by how they sound. For large stadiums, sitting between the 40 yard lines no more than 10 rows up, I would choose the Cotton Bowl in Dallas (1971) and Legion Field in Birmingham (79/80). Cessna Stadium in Wichita isn't bad either. As far as small venues, which I prefer, I liked Great Bend High School (early 70's)and Mercy High School in South Milwaukee (early 60's). In both of these venues backfield was brick school walls. Great Bend had the best low end I have ever heard.

I recall Downing Stadium on Randall’s Island in NYC. In the early 60’s, the place was all about drum corps. While the stadium itself was no big deal, the memories are set in stone. I remember arriving late to a contest one Saturday night and running from the car, hearing the Garfield Cadets playing Climb Every Mountain, and knowing we were too late to see them. Not to worry though, back then there were many corps in the shows and everyone was good from my vantage point. M&M contests were new to me at that time.

22,000 seats and always a great crowd and if you didn’t catch the shows, every Friday night there were the best corps around the Metro area practicing, leading up to the midnight practices of the Skyliners.

All that and the NY skyline as a backdrop.

Thanks Kelly. Marion was always a treat to visit. Our first visit was 1973 and the city was bustling with drum corps activity. I checked my 1975 US Open program and it cites Harding stadium.

Completely agree... my junior corps went to the U.S. Open twice, and we had a great time. That town really rolled out the red carpet for all the corps!!!

I'm going to get in trouble here - the Dream was a great show - Roosevelt Stadium itself was a dump, held together by pigeon poop. The angles were wrong, the field was all wrong - it was an awful stadium - and as close to a Cathedral as the early activity ever had. How such amazing shows happened in that dump I'll never understand, but they did. Hurricanes in the rain in 1974, Bayonne without pants in 1979, Archie's return to the field in 1978, and for me - Blessed Sac any year, but listening to "Free Again" bouncing off the walls, and 1975 Skyliners tearing the place up.

On the money, Ray. If someone who knew nothing about drum corps walked into Roosevelt and took a look at that broken-down wreck of a stadium, they'd say "what the heck is so special about this place?"

But somehow... at those Dream contests on Sunday afternoons and at the other shows held there over the years.... there was magic in the air.

Without a doubt the University of Pennsylvania's Franklin Field. Watched the Blue Devils win their first DCI title at that stadium and then watched the show again (encore) with Steve Chorazy (BD Snare Tech 76) from the upper deck on the 50 yard line. Loved the sound of those North Tenor Drums and impressed with Madison's rewrite after canning "Shaft" (opener) which they performed on the West Coast.

Camp Randall is Heaven.

The Manning Bowl was wonderful, at least the memories there.

J. Birney Crum is a place I need to get back to before I die.

I know that these are chosen often, but I just love/miss when I am not there.

On the money, Ray. If someone who knew nothing about drum corps walked into Roosevelt and took a look at that broken-down wreck of a stadium, they'd say "what the heck is so special about this place?"

But somehow... at those Dream contests on Sunday afternoons and at the other shows held there over the years.... there was magic in the air.

Totally agree Fran. As a spectator, just OK ( and I was there from 1958) but as a performer, there just wasn't any place you'd rather be than Roosevelt Stadium!

Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport is a close second.

Baltimore's Memorial Stadium was a horror from the marching perspective, but I imagine, as a spectator, it was great. Just look at the crowds they used to pack in there.

Ray

Baltimore's Memorial Stadium was a horror from the marching perspective, but I imagine, as a spectator, it was great. Just look at the crowds they used to pack in there.

Ray

It's 1967 and we're on the starting line at Memorial Stadium where there was wet grass and mud. Ken Soper, DM comes down the line with a judge and he goes, "Ya hear him? If ya fall down, just get up, no penalty!". That was comforting......... :blink:

Edited by gsksun4

It's 1967 and we're on the starting line at Memorial Stadium where there was wet grass and mud. Ken Soper, DM comes down the line with a judge and he goes, "Ya hear him? If ya fall down, just get up, no penalty!". That was comforting......... :blink:

Sounds like winter rules for golf... lift, clean and place. :tongue:

• Like 1