Easy Chair Adjudicactor: Great Runner's Up Shows

Crown 2009, they had to rely on a crazy huge drop in percussion score from Cadets for them to get 2nd! But they still got 2nd, and I think that's the highest they should have gone.

I'll back up Star '93, Phantom '89, though. Those shows have stood the test of time that a lot of second-place (and even some first-place) finishes.

• Like 3

I go back and forth on 93 all the time. Both stellar shows. Seriosuly. Very different from one another. And I honestly cannot make the decision. Seriously. I wouldn't be upset if it ended up differently. And I'm fine with the way it is right now. Now.. I've heard some say that Phantom should have won that year... how 'bout no. VERY entertaining show... one of my favorites... but Cadets probably marched the hardest drill ever put on the field that year... and just the show designs of Cadets and Star were on a different level. But the top 4 that year were SMOKIN'!

89.... I would have put Regiment on top. SCV was dirty... but amazing also. Phantom's drums were the reason they lost I guess.. but I thought SCV was dirty enough that Phantom should still should have been able to come out on top. With that said... who doesn't love SCV's show? Time tested... won the countdown one year didn't it? I know the first thing I think about when I think 89 is the frack..... then SCV! Then Bones back in finals.. then Regiment. For me at least. Still one of my favorite years.

Phantom should have won outright in 96.

SCV should have won outright in 99

I would put Cadets outright in 2000... but I couldn't really argue if Cavies won outright... both great shows... kind of like the 93 situation.. but I can make a personal decision on this one.. and that is Cadets.

If Phantom had one more show in 2006 they would have won it all. Cavies were awesome too! (except they had trouble playing at just a forte....). I could go on about this... but I'll digress.

2007... BD deserved the win can't argue that at all. Cadets would have deserved the win... if they had a similar show without the vocals... or just less... or maybe a better script?? That was a GREAT drum corps. Their show just didn't quite match their level. That hornline!!!!

2008 I thought ended up the way it should have been.. maybe a little more spread at the top. Phantom cleaned that drill up for finals. And musically it was at a different level than anyone else IMO. They were coming from behind because they had a rough start to the year. If they didn't spend half the summer rewriting their show and started with something closer to the finished product there would have been a much bigger spread.. but it's hard to climb up the rankings like that... whatever.. the placement came out right in the end.

2009... A few years removed now... Crown should have won. BD marched better... and that was it. Maybe drummed better? I don't remember. It has nothing to do with the chairs.. in fact the whole first section is the only part of the show I liked. I thought BD should have been behind Cadets... and I could even make a case for Cadets winning and beating Crown (which they might have if it weren't for the drum line disaster). I did not agree with many placements in 2009... but I digress. I would have picked Crown as the winner.

2012...I wanted Crown to win.. but I can't argue too much... I will argue about the spread.. it was much closer than that. I thought the top 3 should have been way tighter.. they all had different strengths and weaknesses.. Crown and Phantom's percussion REALLY hurt them though. And BD was more consistent across the board... they didn't have one "weak" section... and as someone else said.. it's pretty much fact that you can't have a weak section and win the gold.

There are other years.. especially earlier in history where I have some opinons.. but these are the main ones that come to mind... especially being in my mid 20s.... I can't talk a lot about who shoulda won back in 79... were they still in the tick system back then? tongue.gif

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 2

I'm interested in DCP posters sharing examples of non-champion shows that "coulda-woulda-shoulda" won, or otherwise provided a super strong contender against that year's winner.

I'll give you one... 1989 Santa Clara versus 1989 Phanton Regiment. Only 4/10's of point separated first and second. There are those, even today, that insist Phantom's show should have been the winner. That's quite an accomplishment for Phantom as SCV's show is a time-tested classic. For me, it's like 2 different flavors of ice cream: hard to choose just one.

Another could be the 2008 Blue Devils and Phantom. I'd be hard pressed to give any corps the nod over Phantom's Spartacus from that year. So for me, I like the 1989 example. I've watched both Santa Clara and Phantom from 1989 a couple of times recently and can certainly see why some folks prefer Phantom. These 2 shows are a great one-two punch to get some drum corps on - and even do a little judging from your easy chair.

So, please share some of those great non-champion shows that are must-see, fitting the above description. Name the corps and the year and any comments you'd like to share. It'll make for some fun Fan Network watching.

1984 Blue Devils... 1993 Phantom... need I say 1993 Star? Almost insulting to call them a runner up...

• Like 1

'80 - 27 won East and should have but that was when they peaked. Allentown was electric that night. BD was as clean a corps as I ever saw under the tick system. They had it won Finals night. 27's horn line was weak from an execution standpoint and that is what probably cost them in the end. Ironic that their '81 hornline was much better but the rest of the corps had lost a step by that point.

'78 - I thought PR had it over SCV then, still do today.

Edited by dckid80

(Ahem) I've said this before, but if there is any desire out there to honor me in any way, may it be the following: When mentioning years of corps performances, please give some context by mentioning the title of the show; or, in the event you're referring to the time before titles became popular, mention one or two musical selections.

This will help people connect with what you're talking about, especially those who have been around awhile and need to look up what the corps were playing to understand your reference.

I've got a list almost always open on my desktop of top-12 repertoires, (which I've shared on DCP before), but a lot of people will have to run to CorpsReps to figure out what shows are being mentioned.

I thank you and if you do this, blessings will pour upon you from the Grand Booness of Supreme Boodom.

• Like 2

'87 and '93...wrong outcomes but the fact they took 2nd makes them more memorable; those were the two that stuck in my mind until Crown 2012 got added.

I have heard '85 SCV (the Fanfare & Allego and pants change year, for Mr. Boo) mentioned in these types of discussions; maybe the outcome was okay but the spread was off...SCV took High Brass outright by 0.4 over BD and GC in Semis, then it swung the other way with a better show the next night. I remember during Finals week the day before finals the instructors had us "loosen up and get in a grove" by doing a run through and ADDING an '85 Garfield-esque "marching run in" to our opening set to something (maybe some cadence then straight into the sop fanfare, I can't remember what). All I know is, it came off beautifully and was a heckuva lot of fun-- we a few racing out of the gym, some from adjoining tennis courts, back fence, I think we had someone in some portable football stands. My opening spot was Side 2 front sideline on the 15, so I was a bit further out. I wish SCV had thought of that first but it wasn't GR's style.

(Ahem) I've said this before, but if there is any desire out there to honor me in any way, may it be the following: When mentioning years of corps performances, please give some context by mentioning the title of the show; or, in the event you're referring to the time before titles became popular, mention one or two musical selections.

This will help people connect with what you're talking about, especially those who have been around awhile and need to look up what the corps were playing to understand your reference.

I've got a list almost always open on my desktop of top-12 repertoires, (which I've shared on DCP before), but a lot of people will have to run to CorpsReps to figure out what shows are being mentioned.

I thank you and if you do this, blessings will pour upon you from the Grand Booness of Supreme Boodom.

Too much typing, yo! That's what CorpsReps is for! I'm sure he enjoys the page hits..