Easy Chair Adjudicactor: Great Runner's Up Shows

'94 Cadets WSS...in any other year, that show would most likely won...but BD's "My Spanish Heart" was not to be denied that year.

I'll give you one... 1989 Santa Clara versus 1989 Phanton Regiment. Only 4/10's of point separated first and second. There are those, even today, that insist Phantom's show should have been the winner. That's quite an accomplishment for Phantom as SCV's show is a time-tested classic. For me, it's like 2 different flavors of ice cream: hard to choose just one.

I agree. On Finals Night, I actually thought Phantom's execution was a bit stronger. But both were terrific shows, and classics, imo..... '89 was also one of my most favorite years, as all the Corps from top to bottom were collectively as a group quite entertaining that year, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

How about 1977,78,79 Phantom Regiment? Always the bridesmaid during those 3 years.

• Like 1

How about 1977,78,79 Phantom Regiment? Always the bridesmaid during those 3 years.

Took the years right out of my mouth!

Shows that Should Have Won (but didn't)...

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard (The Magician/Russian Christmas Music)

1989 Phantom Regiment (New World Symphony)

1995 Blue Devils (Carpe Noctem)

1996 Phantom Regiment (outright) (Defiant Heart)

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard (outright) (Inventions for a New Millennium)

2000 Cadets (outright) (We Are the Future)

2004 Blue Devils (The SummerTrain Blues Mix)

2009 Carolina Crown (The Grass is Always Greener...)

Shows that Didn't Win (and shouldn't have), but Are Still REALLY Strong 2nd Place Shows...

1988 Santa Clara Vanguard (Phantom of the Opera)

1991 Cavaliers (Cavalier Anthems: Advent Collection)

1992 Cadets (To Tame the Perilous Skies)

1993 Star of Indiana

1994 Cadets (West Side Story)

1997 Cadets (Celebration)

1998 Santa Clara Vanguard (Copland: the Modernist)

2006 Phantom Regiment (Faust)

2008 Blue Devils (Constantly Risking Absurdity)

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 3

Shows that Didn't Win (and shouldn't have), but Are Still REALLY Strong 2nd Place Shows...

1993 Star of Indiana

Duck and cover!... incoming ! ( haha)

• Like 2

Shows that Should Have Won (but didn't)...

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard

1989 Phantom Regiment

1995 Blue Devils

1996 Phantom Regiment (outright)

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard (outright)

2000 Cadets (outright)

2004 Blue Devils

2009 Carolina Crown

1988 Santa Clara Vanguard

1991 Cavaliers

1992 Cadets

1993 Star of Indiana

1994 Cadets

1997 Cadets

1998 Santa Clara Vanguard

2006 Phantom Regiment

2008 Blue Devils

Wow! Quite the list. I'll look forward to teeing up my Fan Network to enjoy these! Thanks!

I've often said that 1980's 27th was the best runner up show and should have been first. I don't think the recorded shows available of that show, including the Legacy DVD, capture the magic of that show. It was phenomenal. Perhaps I'm basing it more on memories, but I loved that show.

Two of my favorite shows of all time are 1989's SCV and Phantom, but I think I do think SCV may have had the advantage that night. To be fair, I did not see Phantom live that year though I did see SCV, so perhaps familiarity at the time of broadcast may have biased me a bit and I think a show such as 89's Phantom is easier to capture for a TV audience than Phantom's 89 show. As I think we all know from DVD's and when the shows were broadcast from the broadcasts, some shows work better for television than others. However, I think that it can be argued that in 1978 Phantom was stronger than SCV and a close tie with 27th's being robbed in 1980 was Phantom losing to BD. 79. For me, 79 was pure Phantom magic.

I loved Crown this past year and thought they should have won semi's, but their finals performance was incredible as well and I honestly thought it could have gone either way that night. So I guess I do have some advice for corps directors and show designers: 1980's 27th was one of my favorite all time shows, so too was 79's Phantom and 2012's Crown's "For the Common Good." If you want to win, don't create one of my favorite shows and you may just win the title!

• Like 1