Easy Chair Adjudicactor: Great Runner's Up Shows

Two of my favorite shows of all time are 1989's SCV and Phantom, but I think I do think SCV may have had the advantage that night. To be fair, I did not see Phantom live that year though I did see SCV, so perhaps familiarity at the time of broadcast may have biased me a bit and I think a show such as 89's Phantom is easier to capture for a TV audience than Phantom's 89 show. As I think we all know from DVD's and when the shows were broadcast from the broadcasts, some shows work better for television than others. However, I think that it can be argued that in 1978 Phantom was stronger than SCV and a close tie with 27th's being robbed in 1980 was Phantom losing to BD. 79. For me, 79 was pure Phantom magic.

I would have put 89 Regiment on my list except for one thing...the "Neal-Hefti-like" drum part in the Largo. For me, that one thing has kept them off my own personal favorite list.

Duck and cover!... incoming ! ( haha)

Heh. For probably 10-15 years I would have sworn on my mother's life that 93 Star got robbed, yada yada. But in the last five years or so, I've slowly had to admit that The Cadets were just a little bit better. But talk about two shows (both great) that couldn't have been much more different from each other.

(Addendum: transferring the recap numbers to TODAYS caption setup, Cadets would have won 97.60 to 97.05)

• Like 1

I would have put 89 Regiment on my list except for one thing...the "Neal-Hefti-like" drum part in the Largo. For me, that one thing has kept them off my own personal favorite list.

Yeah, that was ugly. And SCV definitely had the best drum line that year. But Phantom was superior to SCV in every other way in 1989: brass, visual, guard, effect (I could accept a "tie" in this last caption).

Yeah, that was ugly. And SCV definitely had the best drum line that year. But Phantom was superior to SCV in every other way in 1989: brass, visual, guard, effect (I could accept a "tie" in this last caption).

Oh, I loved Regiment in 89, outside of that one thing. That show would be on my personal fave list for everything else.

1987 SCV vs. 1987 Cadets.

yup. closest call ever IMO, regardless of scores

I agree. On Finals Night, I actually thought Phantom's execution was a bit stronger. But both were terrific shows, and classics, imo..... '89 was also one of my most favorite years, as all the Corps from top to bottom were collectively as a group quite entertaining that year, imo.

89 Phantom was a drumline away from history

• Like 1

89 Phantom was a drumline away from history

Yes.. especially at Finals. Phantom was 2nd in Percussion in both the Quarters and Semi's... but came in 5th in drums on Finals Night in '89.

SCV's Guard finished 5th at Finals in their '89 Title. Not sure under the new sheets of today a Corps can finish 5th in Guard and still win it all. Guard performance bleeds heavily into the Visual scores and GE scores more so today. Its probably somewhat possible today to win it all while finishing 5th in guard on Finals Night, but it'd be very, very doubtful, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'm interested in DCP posters sharing examples of non-champion shows that "coulda-woulda-shoulda" won, or otherwise provided a super strong contender against that year's winner.

I'll give you one... 1989 Santa Clara versus 1989 Phanton Regiment. Only 4/10's of point separated first and second. There are those, even today, that insist Phantom's show should have been the winner. That's quite an accomplishment for Phantom as SCV's show is a time-tested classic. For me, it's like 2 different flavors of ice cream: hard to choose just one.

Another could be the 2008 Blue Devils and Phantom. I'd be hard pressed to give any corps the nod over Phantom's Spartacus from that year. So for me, I like the 1989 example. I've watched both Santa Clara and Phantom from 1989 a couple of times recently and can certainly see why some folks prefer Phantom. These 2 shows are a great one-two punch to get some drum corps on - and even do a little judging from your easy chair.

So, please share some of those great non-champion shows that are must-see, fitting the above description. Name the corps and the year and any comments you'd like to share. It'll make for some fun Fan Network watching.

I'd also add that Cavaliers 1989 was pretty great too. That's a pretty great 1 - 2 -3 punch imho.

Any year where there are three corps above 97 is a pretty interesting one because it probably means that the other corps are pushing their scores up and that there all really pretty great that year over other years!

1998 and 2001 would be other good examples of this. Basically, any year that we can get three corps above 97 at finals is a good technical year for DCI ( It seems that has been happening more often in this new century than in the past).

(1998)

1 98.400 The Cadets Jan Van der Roost's Stonehenge - Stonehenge * Canterbury Chorale

2 97.900 Santa Clara Vanguard Aaron Copland - The Modernist - Grohg - Ballet In One Act * Dance Panels *Down a Country Lane * Hear Ye! Hear Ye! - The Chorus Girls Dance * Dance Symphony

3 97.700 Blue Devils One Hand, One Heart--Music from Romeo and Juliet by Tchaikovsky and West Side Story by Bernstein - Romeo and Juliet * West Side Story

(2001)

1 98.350 The Cavaliers Four Corners - Four Corners

2 97.600 Blue Devils Awayday Blue - Awayday * Fantasy Variations (on George Gershwin's Second Prelude for Piano)

2 97.600 The Cadets Juxtaperformance - A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra * Moondance * Vide Cor Meum (from Hannibal) * Farandole

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

SCV's Guard finished 5th at Finals in their '89 Title. Not sure under the new sheets of today a Corps can finish 5th in Guard and still win it all. Guard performance bleeds heavily into the Visual scores and GE scores more so today. Its probably somewhat possible today to win it all while finishing 5th in guard on Finals Night, but it'd be very, very doubtful, imo.

Nah, I'd say next to impossible. In ANY caption. Since the build-up system was implemented in 1984, no championship corps has finished lower than 4th in ANY sub-caption on Finals night...

1995 Cavaliers (4th brass)

[1996 Phantom Regiment (4th guard) - UNOFFICIAL CAPTION]

2001 Cavaliers (4th brass)

2006 Cavaliers (4th percussion)

2008 Phantom Regiment (4th guard)

2010 Blue Devils (4th percussion)

• Like 1

I have to say 1988. As you all know I'm a huge Scouts fan and always will be but that SCV show was incredible. Madison was more powerful and cleaner but SCV just performed the hell out of that show.

• Like 5