Easy Chair Adjudicactor: Great Runner's Up Shows

Too much typing, yo! That's what CorpsReps is for! I'm sure he enjoys the page hits..

Hey...I'm as big a fan of CorpsReps as anyone, and it seems every week, I send in corrections from things I discover for that weekly column I do on another website. However, my proposal would make it easier for everyone. Think of CorpsReps as you think of a dictionary. The dictionary is always there, but if someone explains a word you don't know, you don't have to run to it every time a new word is used.

• Like 1

(Ahem) I've said this before, but if there is any desire out there to honor me in any way, may it be the following: When mentioning years of corps performances, please give some context by mentioning the title of the show; or, in the event you're referring to the time before titles became popular, mention one or two musical selections.

This will help people connect with what you're talking about, especially those who have been around awhile and need to look up what the corps were playing to understand your reference.

I've got a list almost always open on my desktop of top-12 repertoires, (which I've shared on DCP before), but a lot of people will have to run to CorpsReps to figure out what shows are being mentioned.

I thank you and if you do this, blessings will pour upon you from the Grand Booness of Supreme Boodom.

Hey Boo,

Would you mind reposting your top 12's? Or, please link us to where it's at. Thanks!

PS - I added "Phantom of the Opera" for SCV and "New World Symphony" for Phantom Regiment as show titles in my original posting. smile.gif

Edited by drumcorpsfever

The year that waffles came in 2nd to pancakes

• Like 1

The year that waffles came in 2nd to pancakes

Michael Boo suggested that we list the theme too.

So I believe it was Waffles : " Four Corners " and Pancakes: " Extraordinary ".

Edited by BRASSO

Yes.. especially at Finals. Phantom was 2nd in Percussion in both the Quarters and Semi's... but came in 5th in drums on Finals Night in '89.

SCV's Guard finished 5th at Finals in their '89 Title. Not sure under the new sheets of today a Corps can finish 5th in Guard and still win it all. Guard performance bleeds heavily into the Visual scores and GE scores more so today. Its probably somewhat possible today to win it all while finishing 5th in guard on Finals Night, but it'd be very, very doubtful, imo.

funny story about Phantoms line in 89. A few years later I taught a HS band that did New World, pretty much off the cd. I tried my best to not rip off their drum book because, well....listen to the cd. But the ride pattern stuff in the ballad was so out there for them, i took the idea and tweaked it some.....but left in the lick that caused their ugliest, most audible tick of the night.

So one day, I'm working the tune, and I tell the kids they have to feel it, set the groove like Phantom did. The captain of the drumline looked at me dead in the eye and said "do we have to #### out the release too?"

:blink:/>

ahhhh kids

:tongue:/>

funny story about Phantoms line in 89. A few years later I taught a HS band that did New World, pretty much off the cd. I tried my best to not rip off their drum book because, well....listen to the cd. But the ride pattern stuff in the ballad was so out there for them, i took the idea and tweaked it some.....but left in the lick that caused their ugliest, most audible tick of the night.

That ride crap ruined the best ballad the corps has ever done. Of course, they further dug themselves a hole by imploding on the drum solo later in the show...

That ride crap ruined the best ballad the corps has ever done. Of course, they further dug themselves a hole by imploding on the drum solo later in the show...

Ok...explain it to me.

I think I heard the release tic Jeff was talking about (early in Largo), but I've never understood the hate for the ride. The way the BRASS played it was certainly not like the original, as I recall it (the sop solo especially). It was a more jazzy take on the piece, and I felt the cymbal rude fit it.

As for the following drum solo...I don't hear any real implosion....please explain.

1998 SCV-Aaron Copland, the Modernist. I thought the show was light years ahead of everyone else that year.

Musically, yes, although they were noticeably winded by the end of the show Finals night.

Visually, however, The Cadets 98 show is possibly the best ever put on the field. I mean, it's just ridiculous how clean they were.

• Like 1