Braces and Auditions

alphaphan

What do you guys have to recommend to a Sophomore in high school euphonium player wanting to audition for a 2014 WC Corps?

I remember getting braces..... I hated it! :thumbup:/>

The thing is though you will get used to the braces. At first I couldn't play anything, but once I got used to them I could do just as well as before.

The main thing I'd be concerned about is the wear and tear they do on your lips. I remember being able to feel the bracket imprints on my inner lip after practicing. That's my main concern but I'm sure you can get some kind of covers that'll protect your lip from the brackets. In fact I know they do make them.

Or if you want something cheaper, just ask your orthodontist for some wax. That'll at least prevent the braces from cutting/indenting.

As for playing, I agree, you do get used to it. The key of course is to practice. Just play a lot (and well, of course), and soon enough it shouldn't affect your playing. Your lips will adapt.

Edited by tubabeard42