DCI + Groupon

Would you like the idea of DCI utilizing Groupon for certain events?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI use Groupon to promote events?

Ah the Ides of March, when the mind wanders and wonders of things that could or shouldn't be.

I think DCI + Groupon could be a great thing. If DCI through Groupon offered a 2 for 1 deal for local shows or a discounted VIP package for major events, would you go for it?

Plus and minus time:

+ increase in attendance

+ increase awareness on the web, if only from people visiting Groupon

+ possible increase in fans: let's say you get the BOGO offer and take a newbie or two

+ attendance boost might increase souvie and concession sales

+ current fans might be willing to travel to more shows since they're getting a deal on tickets

+ fans could give them as gifts to friends and family that otherwise couldn't afford to attend

- shows that normally sell out would not generate as much revenue

- DCI would not bring in as much giving away "free" or discounted tickets

- increased attendance = increased parking and concession concerns = headache and higher cost for host

That's 3 to 6, which tells me it's a good idea. Thoughts....anyone....anyone....Bueller?

Ah the Ides of March, when the mind wanders and wonders of things that could or shouldn't be.

I think DCI + Groupon could be a great thing...

Danielray; is that you?

• Like 1

I think DCI + Groupon could be a great thing. If DCI through Groupon offered a 2 for 1 deal for local shows or a discounted VIP package for major events, would you go for it?

Plus and minus time:

+ increase in attendance

+ increase awareness on the web, if only from people visiting Groupon

+ possible increase in fans: let's say you get the BOGO offer and take a newbie or two

+ attendance boost might increase souvie and concession sales

+ current fans might be willing to travel to more shows since they're getting a deal on tickets

+ fans could give them as gifts to friends and family that otherwise couldn't afford to attend

- shows that normally sell out would not generate as much revenue

- DCI would not bring in as much giving away "free" or discounted tickets

- increased attendance = increased parking and concession concerns = headache and higher cost for host

That's 3 to 6, which tells me it's a good idea. Thoughts....anyone....anyone....Bueller?

There is an "underbelly" to the Groupon program (and similar promo/marketing firms) which can potentially ignite an unpleasant experience to all the parties involved.

In depth research is paramount in exploring any type of financial/marketing strategies before considering any type of execution; peel the onion layers away.

There is an "underbelly" to the Groupon program (and similar promo/marketing firms) which can potentially ignite an unpleasant experience to all the parties involved.

Would you mind explaining?

I'm not too knowledgeable in the business world and this topic seems intriguing. Every company has it's bad side.

I looked into this with an event with the corps I worked full time for most recently. I thought it was a way to get to more people... faster. Both Groupon and Living Social, both wanted to drive the price down after I told them the budgeted amount and the importance of tickets to these types of events, then they wanted a hefty commission on top of it. The other issue is that there is a culture that jumps from discount to discount with these companies. After doing more research and talking with people that had experience working with these companies, my final thought was that it works if you can create "repeat" business, which is fine for drum corps as a whole, but it would make the tour event partners (TEP's) that did the initial marketing at local shows the investors to other shows in the area. With a moving tour and not a static venue (like a local PAC center) there is too much risk. The ROI puts this type of marketing for drum corps events in the negative.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 1