So who's it going to be?

If there is one thing I've learned in this activity over the past couple of years, it is: absolutely, positively do not count out the Boston Crusaders.

I totally agree with this, I did that in 2011, and I was completely surprised at how the season turned out for them (in a good way). I know a guy in the front ensemble, sounds like it's going to be a great year for them.

• Like 3

I have a good feeling about how Crossmen will do this year. Based on what I've heard from people with the corps and and some music clips I've heard, I think "The Protest" will be a great vehicle for them. Would love to see them make a push for the top 10.

I also was very impressed with Pacific Crest last year and it would be great to see them in the mix for making finals.

• Like 2

The real excitement and question to me is in this group:

The Academy

Blue Knights

Blue Stars

Colts

Crossmen

Pacific Crest

Spirit of Atlanta

Troopers

Battle much?

Don't be surprised in Surf throws its hat into that ring this year. The show this year certainly is more demanding, and I'm positive it will be just as fun. thumbup.gif

I know that much of the attention this season will probably be given to Crown and Blue Devils since Crown will be travelling out west this year. While I would love to see a new corps win a title, and Crown is the most likely to do so, my understanding with Phantom is that there are a number of third year veterans, so we're talking about people who marched in both "Juliet" and "Turandot." I'm wondering if the "surprise" might be a Phantom victory this year with SCV returning to the top 3.

As far as BAC is concerned, anytime I've asked anyone who might know what's happening with them responds "no public announcements yet" with a huge smile. The people I know are dedicated volunteers who know quite a bit about the corps but may not be privy to show details, but usually when I ask them what to expect I'm given the corps' goals and things they need to do to be competitive, never a wry smile, so I'm excited.

Some have mentioned Cavaliers being more competitive, but I'm not sure I'd qualify one fo DCI's most competitive corps who had a bad year returning to their former status a surprise. If they went co-ed and decided to do a tribute to the Boston Pops during Arthur Fielder's tenure might be surprising. Actually Fiedler was supposedly spotted at shows from time to time during the 60's and 70's, so maybe he deserves a tribute.

I would love to see a Troopers comeback, but with the excitement surrounding the corps and their rather solid plans, this should be an expectation rather than a surprise.

If we were to see a new finalist, my money would be on Pacific Crest. The Academy has been poised for a number if years, and they would be worthy, but last year I felt Pacific Crest made huge strides, not just in performance, but alos in confidence which leaps and bounds ahead of previous years.

However, as I write this, I wonder if all eyes should be Oregon Crusaders. How will they fare in their first year as a World Class corps?

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 3

Great topic!! I am very excited just by repertoire alone for many groups but I have my gut feelings as to who might surprise:

Troopers will most definitely be a dark horse and a dangerous corps as will the Colts. Both had great staff additions.

I think it wouldn't be a huge surprise but I think the Cadets and Crown fight for the title this year. SCV could be the real dark horse to knock around the top!

I also feel Boston will catch the top 6 this year and it may be Bluecoats time be outside of the top 6.

BK will be a huge surprise to some, but they're going to be really good.

Maybe not a surprise but the top 12 doesn't change for 2013.

Biggest Surprise of all..... Glassmen not fielding a corps this year....:(

Wes P

• Like 3

I know that much of the attention this season will probably be given to Crown and Blue Devils since Crown will be travelling out west this year. While I would love to see a new corps win a title, and Crown is the most likely to do so, my understanding with Phantom is that there are a number of third year veterans, so we're talking about people who marched in both "Juliet" and "Turandot." I'm wondering if the "surprise" might be a Phantom victory this year with SCV returning to the top 3.

As far as BAC is concerned, anytime I've asked anyone who might know what's happening with them responds "no public announcements yet" with a huge smile. The people I know are dedicated volunteers who know quite a bit about the corps but may not be privy to show details, but usually when I ask them what to expect I'm given the corps' goals and things they need to do to be competitive, never a wry smile, so I'm excited.

Some have mentioned Cavaliers being more competitive, but I'm not sure I'd qualify one fo DCI's most competitive corps who had a bad year returning to their former status a surprise. If they went co-ed and decided to do a tribute to the Boston Pops during Arthur Fielder's tenure might be surprising. Actually Fiedler was supposedly spotted at shows from time to time during the 60's and 70's, so maybe he deserves a tribute.

I would love to see a Troopers comeback, but with the excitement surrounding the corps and their rather solid plans, this should be an expectation rather than a surprise.

If we were to see a new finalist, my money would be on Pacific Crest. The Academy has been poised for a number if years, and they would be worthy, but last year I felt Pacific Crest made huge strides, not just in performance, but alos in confidence which leaps and bounds ahead of previous years.

However, as I write this, I wonder if all eyes should be Oregon Crusaders. How will they fare in their first year as a World Class corps?

Ties aside - for every corps that moves into the top 12, another corps has to move out. So, if Troopers and Pacific Crest are in, who drops out?

I'm not trying to be negative, just stating the facts of the math

PS - I understand Fiedler has been spotted at SCV shows lately

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

There's definitely a lot of corps nowadays that are stepping up their game, which is awesome to see.

I do believe the biggest change will be coming from Lacrosse, WI. The Blue Stars will have a phenomenal drumline/front ensemble, which will likely place top 6 (just check out Pulse indoor percussion). The brass staff has a lot of experience (compared to last year's). Not to mention one of the best arrangers DCI has seen, Richard Saucedo. He has been judging, and will most likely write a book that corresponds nicely with the sheets. And on top of this, they will be wearing new uniforms (blue, not grey)!

Pacific Crest will definitely show a lot of improvement from last year, which will also be cool to see. The brass section improved so much on the tail-end of the season.

For these two groups to move up, others need to move down. No one can really make that call this early on, but if I had to move groups out of finals it would be BK and Spirit. BK lost a lot of staff, and Spirit needs to push the box more with design in my honest opinion. But I'm also not sure if Pacific Crest will make it into the top 12 yet, but will be knocking at the door all season.

I would like them to prove me wrong and have phenomenal shows, but I also believe the two aforementioned corps are on the right track to having a great 2013 season.

Edited by MarchandPlay
  • Like 2

BK will be a huge surprise to some, but they're going to be really good.

Wes P

Good to hear, Wes P.