Blue Stars new uniform unveiled!

One might think that a successful drill writer just might have a style that identifies them.

There is only one Myron Rosander.

One might think that a successful drill writer would give a corps drill that matches their show concept much closer than the Blue Stars were given last year. For a nautical show it sure did have a lot of geometric forms and rotating boxes!

You are correct there is only one Myron Rosander and I love what he did with SCV, especially 1999, but his drill for the Blue Stars last year was not good.

• Like 4

One might think that a successful drill writer would give a corps drill that matches their show concept much closer than the Blue Stars were given last year. For a nautical show it sure did have a lot of geometric forms and rotating boxes!

You are correct there is only one Myron Rosander and I love what he did with SCV, especially 1999, but his drill for the Blue Stars last year was not good.

Agreed, hope Fairbanks works out well, I always thought his stuff at Bluecoats was underrated.

• Like 1

I would be happy if the uniform was at least blue. The Gray never worked.

• Like 3

I would love for my ol' corps to get back to the blue. If I remember correctly Mr. Weinstein thought that the gray would make us stand out with so many blue uniforms out there. Not a bad thought actually, but with the way the white shoulders worked, you could be in a perfectly straight line and look completely wrong due to differences in height at the shoulders. I kinda liked the gray uniform though, but thought what we had before looked pretty good. A blue, white, and gray uniform would look awesome! My biggest wish is that whatever color uniform, throw a red plume on top :)

Normy,

As to your "well placed source," saying I "dissed the traditional Blue Stars pith helmet...," I have this to say: I'm on the record in multiple places as stating we went away from the helmet in 2008 because it didn't work for us from a visual standpoint. I have said it many times in print, via podcasts, and in meetings with alumni, supporters, etc... There is no secret or scandal there. Those that disagree with me have told me so and we've all moved on to more important issues. I can tell you the new uniform will have a shako, not a helmet.

Thanks for your support.

Brad Furlano

Executive Director

Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps

OK, though I find it sad. I like the traditional Blue Stars hat as distinctive, although the side plume may be a problem for today's drill. However, both Bluecoats and Phantom wear helmets rather than shakos and this doesn't seem to hurt their visual presentations. The Blue Stars' visual problems the last few years had more to do with feet, not hats. But you are the CEO, and you certainly have done many fine things to maintain a great organization.

Good luck with your DCI BOD meeting.

Have a great 2013 summer.

NDP

• Like 5

the traditional Blue Stars hat as distinctive, although the side plume may be a problem for today's drill. However, both Bluecoats and Phantom wear helmets rather than shakos and this doesn't seem to hurt their visual presentations.

phantom and bluecoats headgear has (im sure) a more modern fitting system inside of it. The main difference/problem with the Stars helmet Is that it doesnt. Just a Hard shell with randomly placed pads to fit the performers head makes for a wobbling uncomfortable experience while moving at fast tempos.

With that being said.. I am a huge fan of the old helmet, but I understood the need for an alternative in our situation.

• Like 2

phantom and bluecoats headgear has (im sure) a more modern fitting system inside of it. The main difference/problem with the Stars helmet Is that it doesnt. Just a Hard shell with randomly placed pads to fit the performers head makes for a wobbling uncomfortable experience while moving at fast tempos.

With that being said.. I am a huge fan of the old helmet, but I understood the need for an alternative in our situation.

Elsewhere amongst current threads is an item that the Bluecoats manufacture their own helmets and make them fit. Presumably this would not be a cross for those from Lacrosse. But looking at my rankings, it seems that Furlano's little starlets are quite defensive with the negative button. Sling if you wish, but the feet problems, not the hats, brought down the visual score the last few years, plus the immature mellophone section last season after the vets bailed to the Cavaliers. Myron was merely a scapegoat just as the traditional helmets are being blamed now..

• Like 6

Elsewhere amongst current threads is an item that the Bluecoats manufacture their own helmets and make them fit. Presumably this would not be a cross for those from Lacrosse. But looking at my rankings, it seems that Furlano's little starlets are quite defensive with the negative button. Sling if you wish, but the feet problems, not the hats, brought down the visual score the last few years, plus the immature mellophone section last season after the vets bailed to the Cavaliers. Myron was merely a scapegoat just as the traditional helmets are being blamed now..

Give it up Dave.

• Like 7

In regards to the helmets. The Bluecoats and Phantom Regiment have a different style of helmet than what the Blue Stars used to wear. The Blue Stars helmet was very unique and original; moreover, the "original" helmets were great. An atom bomb could be dropped on them and they would remain intact. However, the reproductions were of poor quality and a pain in the jaxie to fit. I like the Blue Stars with the shakos. I was also a fan of the grey; but I agree with a lot of other folks, in that it's time for a change with a return to some blue in the uniform.

• Like 2

Give it up Dave.

hello! I am neither Dr. David Kampshoerer, former Blue Star director, former DCI Hall of Fame moderator, nor Mr. David Borden, former Blue Star volunteer and DCP honk. If I am being compared to these great gentlemen by mistake, I consider it an honor.

• Like 1