What will help DCI become more entertaining

total attendance is up across all of the DCI sponsored shows

Your source for this, and the published date that this claim became available to the public ? And are you referring to year over end here ? or some other time frame ?

Edited by BRASSO

Is it 50/50 now? Do you want performance to outweigh demand, or do you think the demand currently outweighs performance on the sheets?

the number on the sheets is 50/50. However demand is far too much of an influence on the total. I get how performance builds up demand.....but I think too often judges play it safe and it's a tenth or so seperating book and performer, and rarely do you see performer over book, even when it's clear.

so I suggest the non GE sheets be weighted like the PA sheet for WGI (15/25) or or even the A class guard sheets (70/130). Judges still use 0 to 100 in each sub box, but the multiplier gets you the final number and creates the spreads even if the judges go safe...which they do.

• Like 1

There are two different issues here which must be separated: 1) Utilizing the drum corps activity to allow people an increase in awareness of new source material (the music) that maybe they didn't have the opportunity to be exposed to previously; and 2) The transmission of that new source material (the communication) to the audience through the vehicle of show design. If you really break down the shows that generally 'do work' for the audience compared to those that generally 'do not work' for the audience one will find that it does not matter if the audience has been previously exposed to the source material; in fact (in reference to #1) exposure to new source material in of itself is a rather great thing because many people have expanded their listening tastes due to being exposed to new material via drum corps. However, (in reference to #2) the shows that 'do work' for the audience are only those in which the corps staff communicate that new information in a simplistic manner through show concept design without attempting to go very deep into the transfer of academic intellectualism (i.e. 'communication' of new source material to the audience through show design going no deeper than righteous vs. evil, or love vs. hate is what works) Why? a) Because academic intellectual information cannot be transmitted effectively to a mass audience in an 11 min. show using visual tools of drill movement and props (this is where judges have the higher knowledge due to closely interacting with corps design staff throughout the season); and b) The audience members are not paying to go to an academic environment and garner increased knowledge through the deep process of cerebral thought, they are paying to flat get entertained just like attending any other musical/visual event such as Blue Man, Stomp, U2, Opera, Symphony, etc...).

will you send this to Cesario?

will you send this to Cesario?

Why? An unsolicited email suggestion sent to Cesario from a DCP hack and he would adjust his DCI philosophy; nope,... he might placate me with a response stating that he will, of course, 'seriously' contemplate it and than just toss it aside into the junk mail because it was not his idea. We can banter about all we want here on DCP for the hey of it, but when it comes to our suggestions being taken seriously by the ivory tower elite, forget it.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

Your source for this, and the published date that this claim became available to the public ? And are you referring to year over end here ? or some other time frame ?

"We are very pleased to post a modest year-over-year increase in paid attendance across the three events at Lucas Oil Stadium," said DCI Executive Director/CEO Dan Acheson.

"This is definitely a year of terrific milestones for Drum Corps International and its member corps," Acheson said. "With a record crowd on hand in Atlanta, as well as a record number in the second year of our Tour Premiere movie theater event in June, and with the ongoing growth of many other events around the country, we look forward to continuing to develop new opportunities to engage more people in the drum corps experience, which is a fundamental element of our strategic plan."

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=777ac5ef-235a-4f86-896d-70392b372660#ixzz2TN5HTUfw

You are not suggesting he ruin a good story with facts are you....

Hey, you can use sarcasm/snark: good for you!

Of course, it's only funny when you're correct. When you're incorrect you're just looking like an idiot.

You can see my previous reply, but I'll repost it here since you and others seem to be incapable of using google:

"We are very pleased to post a modest year-over-year increase in paid attendance across the three events at Lucas Oil Stadium," said DCI Executive Director/CEO Dan Acheson.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=777ac5ef-235a-4f86-896d-70392b372660

"This is definitely a year of terrific milestones for Drum Corps International and its member corps," Acheson said. "With a record crowd on hand in Atlanta, as well as a record number in the second year of our Tour Premiere movie theater event in June, and with the ongoing growth of many other events around the country, we look forward to continuing to develop new opportunities to engage more people in the drum corps experience, which is a fundamental element of our strategic plan."

Hey, you can use sarcasm/snark: good for you!

Of course, it's only funny when you're correct. When you're incorrect you're just looking like an idiot.

You can see my previous reply, but I'll repost it here since you and others seem to be incapable of using google:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=777ac5ef-235a-4f86-896d-70392b372660

I would suggest a little deeper analysis. Now the big question, how many will come again?

• Like 1

I would suggest a little deeper analysis. Now the big question, how many will come again?

What appears to be an accurate statement is that attendance was reportedly ( by DCI) up in a few shows that the report mentioned. But of course, this is not what the poster claimed above at all. He specifically claimed that paid attendance was up ( his quote ) " across all of the DCI sponsored shows ". We've seen no evidence at all to support this claim, since " DCI sponsored shows " naturally involves World Class and Open Class Division shows in their circuit. All of them. I've seen no data to illustrate at all what DCI's overall paid attendance was in specific numbers from 2011 to 2012 regarding all " DCI sponsored shows " in their circuit. DCI has not released such data to the public my knowledge either. My guess, if overall paid attendance figures were up for 2012 over that of 2011, the DCI office would have specifically stated it in this fashion, and not in the manner in which they did, which highlighted year over end attendance at a few select World Class Div. shows only.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

What appears to be an accurate statement is that attendance was reportedly ( by DCI) up in a few shows that the report mentioned. But of course, this is not what the poster claimed above at all. He specifically claimed that paid attendance was up ( his quote ) " across all of the DCI sponsored shows ". We've seen no evidence at all to support this claim, since " DCI sponsored shows " naturally involves World Class and Open Class Division shows in their circuit. All of them. I've seen no data to illustrate at all what DCI's overall paid attendance was in specific numbers from 2011 to 2012 regarding all " DCI sponsored shows " in their circuit. DCI has not released such data to the public my knowledge either. My guess, if overall paid attendance figures were up for 2012 over that of 2011, the DCI office would have specifically stated it in this fashion, and not in the manner in which they did, which highlighted year over end attendance at a few select World Class Div. shows only.

Agreed, thus my comment of a little deeper analysis being needed. You can lead a clothes rack horse to water but you never know which end you get...

• Like 1