San Francisco Renegades Schedule Update

I'm just not on this, "be negative about the Renegades" kick. They tried to do something different that worked for them...it just didn't work for DCA. They also were called out for things that happened before. How many corps in the past were suspended from DCA for doing negative things? Fighting in public, drunk in public, etc. I am not defending Renegades but I certainly saw things from various corps that were unacceptable ESPECIALLY with underage kids in the corps that seem to be "okay."

How did it not work Keith? Easily their most "not the norm" shows.....03-05...had them in the top 6. Most of the shows that followed, while fun, had design flaws and performance issues that led to placements lower than the top 6. In fact, were it not for a penalty, they were sniffing top 3 in theyears I singled out.

As for corps in the past...well...the game has changed. Society has changed. What was once acceptable, tolerable etc is no longer. Playing the "well BITD card" further kills your argument. The game changed. maybe others did, maybe others didn't....none of them got caught if they did.

• Like 2

I was President of the Renegades Association of California last year, until the time I resigned in September. I was not at DCA 2012, so I have no first hand knowledge of what transpired (i.e., "who did what?"). I do have 2nd had "evidence" of what transpired, which I received within two weeks after the completion of DCA (which was the first time I hard about any issues).

I was the person who handled all negotiations between the Renegades and DCA. The Renegades were given ample opportunity by DCA to present their view of the issues, and did so. The decision for the Renegades to not perform was agreed to by the Renegades CEO, myself, and DCA, after long, and professional, negotiations.

Just to set the record straight: There WAS an apology from myself, on behalf of the Renegades, to DCA. The Renegades and DCA parted (for one year) on good terms. End of story.

As far as "going to Europe", and returning to "Drum Corps is Evil", and the subsequent withdrawal from the 2013 season ... all that came "after my shift", and I have no comment.

Thanks Jeff. Sadly, people don't realize a regime change led to the public acrimony. I will say a public apology would havehelped, but too little too late.

• Like 2

554935_10151526174248486_1528720506_n_zps55cb257e.jpg

yeah Ed, like DCP was Renegade bashing when they blew the doors down in 03-05. Get real. DCP was a virtual ReneLoveFest....with good reason

• Like 2

Lets play devils advocate for a second.

DCA is looking for a younger branded corps. Looking at most of the other top DCA corps they seem to have gotten the message over the years and have conformed. Most of the Top 10 corps have lowered their age SIGNIFICANTLY. It does not take a rocket scientist or a math wiz to figure this out. Just pop in a video from say 2004 of XYZ corps and then compare it to XYZ corps from 2012. What you are going to see is A much younger and leaner all round corps.

Renegades have not conformed to that standard or appeared to be heading in that direction.

Now we come to some inappropriate behavior that most everyone agree upon that has happened before in DCA in the past by most every other corps out there and nothing was ever done about it. Nothing to the degree of a suspension from DCA. DCA decides to take the firm stance of a suspension.

Again playing the devils advocate card I suspect DCA is taking this opportunity to send a clear message to ALL the DCA corps. CLEAN UP YOUR house and conform or you will not be part of the ALL AGE DCA.

let's play logical advocate for a second here:

DCA is looking for any corps that can A) be financially sound, B) Follow the rules, C) have over 35 members. Really, looking over the corps I watched live at prelims last year, well, that looked like it. Later we found out one corps violated A.

DCA doesn't care how old your membership is. DCA cares that your corps doesn't break the law.

• Like 2

Mea Culpa, Loose cannons on DCP, and a handful of rowdy members not withstanding, I think DCA basically handed out a death sentence to the Renegades for the actions of a few. Had they made it clear that subsequent bad behavior under the DCA banner would NOT be tolerated, and not have been so rigid with the penalty of a one year suspension,(which is tantamount to a death penalty), perhaps the other 80 or 90 members wouldn't be deprived of the activity they (we all) love.

The activity on the whole is in it's death spiral......the fan base is evaporating... that's indisputable, so DCA, in essence, by eliminating a top ten corps, could have been a tad more proactive in its reaction and response to the agregeous events. If individuals broke the law they should have been arrested...if the behavior was deemed innapropriate public behavior within the law, IMO, DCA shot itself in the foot.

My opinion is only based on sketchy info gleened from DCP....I don't really know what took place, but the sad thing is that the activity has been damaged. I can only wish the Renegades well as they attempt to recover.

you do realize the Finals host city may have played a part in this right? DCA saying "hey, they're back" could have had the contract yanked.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone (at least not myself) is being "anti Renegade". But, you have to admit that their wound has been mostly self inflicted. You can't go getting yourselves kicked out of your only competitive circuit and expect the results to be positive. And there were never any apologies or even so much as a hint of contrition on their part. I certainly do hope they are able to work their way back, but realizing where they went wrong and doing something to correct it, will be a necessary first step.

I disagree with you... IMHO The Renegades were humble and accepted their punishment... Then a rogue person unfortunately connected to the corps started running his mouth again. That is the point where I decided to distance myself from the organization. Whenever THAT person runs HIS mouth... He hurts the organization. It does however seem that now that, that person blew themselves up (again lol) because of thin skin regarding DCP that The Renegades are now headed back to a positive place. As long as they can keep the fox out of the hen house and not allow stupid arrogant people to speak for them... They will be just fine!

• Like 5

Hey everyone. i am in my 10th year with the Renegades. Yes I am still involved and working hard to get the corps on great footing for the future. There are some others that are working hard as well and where you can state your opinion if you wish. there are folks that really have worked hard for this corps over the years.

All of these negitive commits about a subject most of you know nothing about hurts people. I would like it if you would just e-mail me personally. and let's stop this thread.

those of you who gave are efforts props...... Thank You very much

it's the drama we can all do without. ( i'm afraid that it is beginning to be alot like the junior corps I marched with)

not being mean spirited here

Edited by scrappyslap
  • Like 3

Hey everyone. i am in my 10th year with the Renegades. Yes I am still involved and working hard to get the corps on great footing for the future. There are some others that are working hard as well and where you can state your opinion if you wish. there are folks that really have worked hard for this corps over the years.

All of these negitive commits about a subject most of you know nothing about hurts people. I would like it if you would just e-mail me personally. and let's stop this thread.

those of you who gave are efforts props...... Thank You very much

it's the drama we can all do without. ( i'm afraid that it is beginning to be alot like the junior corps I marched with)

not being mean spirited here

Well put ... what's done is done ... move on to a new season! And kudos to everyone in the Renegades who are keeping it alive!

Hi everybody.

I recently heard about Renegades not fielding a competitive corps this year, and thought I would read the press release here on DCP. So here I am, the guest appearance. Voila. The antagonist for the plot. The bad guy for the scene.

You don't have to read much to see many misconceptions and inaccurate statements. For clarity, let me just say a few things, none of which will violate DCP guidelines.

First, my time with the Renegades in 1999 through 2008 was one of the greatest, most fun and most creatively rewarding times of my life. I worked with some of the most talented people I have ever met, and the fun we had and chaos we caused was the zenith of my time in drum corps. I wouldn’t trade those unbelievable experiences for the world, including another DCI ring. We were rock stars.

Just like getting the phone call that the Renegades were out of DCA, hearing about this season and reading the comments on DCP are not fun for any alumni. Personally, however, I think the Renegades will be around for the next 100 years in one form or another, so I never read this press release as an obit.

Looking far back, the mistake I made after the 2005 season was to simultaneously try to pursue an entertainment career in Los Angeles and a drum corps career in San Francisco, when I found that both of which required a full-time in-person commitment to succeed. It was not fair to the Renegades to miss camps and try to run the corps from afar, and it was not fair to my film colleagues and career to miss festivals, screenings and events because I had camp. There was no way to make the two work, although I tried. I eventually made the decision to move focus on film. If I could have figured out how to make a living running a corps, the evaluation might have gone differently, frankly, but I’m not George, never was able to figure that out. No disrespect, Hoppy.

To clear up some misconceptions, please note, I was out of drum corps during DCA 2012. It was after the Renegades got suspended and the President accepted the punishment from DCA that I got a phone call to try to reverse that. The then-President correctly points out in emphasis that he was not at DCA 2012. This is true, but the absence is also the problem. It is not a good thing to be absent from the biggest weekend of the year if you’re running a corps, and I have a profound appreciation of making this big mistake myself. When chaos happens, the leader should be there.

As for the missed apology that is routinely suggested on here – Jeff did apologize on behalf of the Renegades in writing. Then I did as well -- my efforts then went to multiple phone calls, and about 48-hours of sincere apologies, an offer to make a public apology, and offer to pay fines and anything else that would resolve this situation for the Renegades. I failed to convince anyone of anything, and here we are. I know a lot of you disagree with my methodology or penchant for speaking out vigorously to the point of belligerence on behalf of myself or others. I am not here to apologize for that, that’s a skill set, and a course of action deliberately taken only when all other efforts failed. I am here, however, to tell you I deeply, deeply regret getting involved in this DCA-Renegades situation at all from Day 1.

I accepted that call for help out of my love for a corps that I helped get off the ground, and my primary creative outlet for over a decade. Unfortunately, I had no idea the hornet’s nest I was stepping into, and the price I paid for getting involved was too high. I accomplished nothing for the corps by trying, and apparently lost many drum corps friends along the way. I certainly didn't gain any, as you can see. I did get a headache, if that counts for anything.

To Gil Silva, Glenn Johnson, and any of my drum corps friends who found themselves on the opposite side of my efforts to keep the Renegades in DCA, I sincerely apologize for stepping into the situation, I should never have gotten involved, and I am very sorry that our friendship was affected and/or destroyed. I wish you all well and hope maybe we can be friends again sometime.

To DCA corps and participants – Start supporting one another or the activity will economically fail.

To the Renegades – I think the Michael Jordan quote Chris that started his press release says it all quite well. In hindsight, I think the true answer for the Renegades after DCA 2012 was not to go full speed ahead and venture to Europe, or to fight DCA. In my unsolicited opinion, I think the Renegades simply need to find that comfortable warm happy creative zone, where everyone is having fun doing drum corps and loves hanging out together – whatever the gig is, and no matter how many people are there.

That’s why the Renegades started, and that’s why I know the Renegades are not done – the corps is bigger than a DCA weekend, it's never been about points or trophies, it's been about the people. Once you get a drum corps in that amazing creative family zone, we once did with two (2) horn players in the arc, the rest will follow quickly, and it will stay fun on the way up. You’ll get there.

Lee

• Like 5