Drum Corps and Fasting

Hi guys,

I have a question that I wanted to ask you all first before I talk to my corps director or the director at my mosque.

I'm Muslim, and I also have plans to march this summer. Unfortunately, the drum corps season clashes with the Muslim's holy month of Ramadan, in which we fast for about 30 days from sunrise to sunset. Ramadan is expected to be from July 8th to August 7th, although the dates may vary slightly as the moon sighting determines the exact dates. The only reason I have put this question off for such a long time is that Muslims are exempt from fasting when they are traveling as long as they make it up later, and drum corps is pretty much constant traveling. But, I'm wondering if that exemption ruling still works if the traveling period extends over the entire month. Religion is also very important to me and my family and I would very much like it if I didn't have to miss out on fasting the whole month.

My question is, are there any suggestions you guys may have on if there is anything I can do about this? Like, a way to march corps and fast during Ramadan at the same time? The last thing in the world I want to do is tell my corps that I can't march this summer. I know that there should be something possible, as many Olympic athletes fast as well as professional sports players.

I still plan on talking to my corps director and the director at my mosque about this as well, just wanted to get a rough idea of what you guys think before I do so.

Thanks!

Your mosque would be the best place to ask, as your imam would probably be able to authorize you to not have to fast.

Given the physical nature of drum corps, I would NOT recommend fasting if you can make it up later...you'll probably hurt yourself, given the conditions we all work under in the activity.

• Like 2

Does the fasting include water? That would be the only thing I would be really worried about in the heat.

I'll assume that after sunset you are allowed to eat. Are there any diet restrictions other than pork or caffeine during Ramadan that would conflict with what is normally served on a food truck?

I would let your section in on this, too, so they can keep an eye on you for dehydration and the such.

Be careful! Good luck with your season!

Edited by wallace

No idea but good luck and please let us know what is decided. That is, let us know if that is OK with your beliefs to tell us (this poor Lutheran doesn't have a clue).

...Sheikh Ali Gomaa, grand mufti of Egypt, stressed that the verse of the Holy Quran is clear. God says: "If one is ill or travelling, an equal number of other days may be substituted." (Quran 2:184) "Away from sports, you are travelling humans and it gives you the exception that you may break your fast as long as you will fast the exact number of days later," Gomaa said...
  • Like 4

The biggest thing I would recommend is make sure that you're eating during the day. A normal drum corps person consumes around 6-8,000 calories in a day, and in the hottest month of the year, there is no way that could survive without that energy to keep your body going. I would check with your local mosque, but I would hope that an exemption can be offered. Otherwise, you're treading a line towards unsafe marching practices.

...Sheikh Ali Gomaa, grand mufti of Egypt, stressed that the verse of the Holy Quran is clear. God says: "If one is ill or travelling, an equal number of other days may be substituted." (Quran 2:184) "Away from sports, you are travelling humans and it gives you the exception that you may break your fast as long as you will fast the exact number of days later," Gomaa said...

I think I saw the same quote re US sabre fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad. She's been on the US team a number of times, but didn't make the squad for the London Games. If she had, she would've had much the same issue, since the Games were also over Ramadan.

Hi guys,

I have a question that I wanted to ask you all first before I talk to my corps director or the director at my mosque.

I'm Muslim, and I also have plans to march this summer. Unfortunately, the drum corps season clashes with the Muslim's holy month of Ramadan, in which we fast for about 30 days from sunrise to sunset. Ramadan is expected to be from July 8th to August 7th, although the dates may vary slightly as the moon sighting determines the exact dates. The only reason I have put this question off for such a long time is that Muslims are exempt from fasting when they are traveling as long as they make it up later, and drum corps is pretty much constant traveling. But, I'm wondering if that exemption ruling still works if the traveling period extends over the entire month. Religion is also very important to me and my family and I would very much like it if I didn't have to miss out on fasting the whole month.

My question is, are there any suggestions you guys may have on if there is anything I can do about this? Like, a way to march corps and fast during Ramadan at the same time? The last thing in the world I want to do is tell my corps that I can't march this summer. I know that there should be something possible, as many Olympic athletes fast as well as professional sports players.

I still plan on talking to my corps director and the director at my mosque about this as well, just wanted to get a rough idea of what you guys think before I do so.

Thanks!

You definitely want to tread cautiously here. But it's achievable. Some NFL players have done it, and their training camps are one of the most grueling things a person can voluntarily go through:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/08/09/vikings-abdullah-ramadan-fast

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

I'll add something I'm surprised nobody else has suggested- consult a doctor.